What caused this???

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I have never had this happen before and today, it happened twice.

243 Federal brass fired 2 times before today. Winchester Long Rifle primer. 85 grain Partitions with 43.5gr of IMR 4530. Shoots 3140 fps.

7mmRM Winchester brass fired 1 time before today, Winchester Long Rifle Mag primer. 150 grain Partition with RL 25 going 3126 fps.

The only thing I can think of is that I didn't seat the primer deep enough or the brass was weak.

I'll catch flak for this but I don't use Winchester primers. Seems as if they are undersized as compared to CCI's. It looks like they leaked around the primer. I'd say you had stretched primer pockets but neither of your loads are hot in any book. I'd experienced the same thing years ago and just started using CCI primers for everything. Life's been easier for me.

If you decap and save the spent primers you will see upon inspecting them that they blowed out at the edge. I had this happen with WLRM primers and contacted Winchester who requested I send them the spent primers and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send the whole lot back and offered to pay for any damages to repair my rifle. Since there were no damages they sent me a check to replace the primers for any inconveniences. Not a lot of money but enough to buy a new brick of primers. I have older lots of WLR primers that I still use with out problems but I will not buy new ones and choose to use Federal or CCI in my rifles.
As Scotty stated they are smaller in diameter than other primers and tend to back out. I even have some that looked like rim fire rims. :shock: :(

I will contact Winchester tomorrow morning. I will hold off reloading any more of these until this time.

I use Federal GM210M and GM215M primers in all rifle cartridges. No problems and no worries.

JD338

I just did some looking and these are the only 100 count trays that I have of these lot numbers. The bad news is I have 1500 LR and 500 LR Mag primers on hand. The question is do you use them or try to sell them locally?

It would be cool if you would post the lot numbers of the primers here and on 24 hour campfire.I have two flat of 5,000 primer each but haven't used any yet. I'be been checking numbers as they get posted.
Paul B.

Well I am one of those that prefer Winchester primers. I have been using them along with federal for 25 years. I personally have never had an issue with either one. I have seen that happen with all brand of primers and a lot with federal brass. Usually from enlarged primer pockets. winchester primers do seat easier than federal and cci since they are slighty smaller in diameter however its nothing to fear. You may have a bad lot of primers, just call Winchester and they will be glad to help.Lee

Mine did it with 1x fired brass and my primer pockets were fine.

Winchester has never returned any call or email that I have sent their way about the primers I had.

So you are going to sell suspect primers to somebody else? Classy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alderman":18x22q3m said:
So you are going to sell suspect primers to somebody else? Classy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to edge in, I don't think there is anything wrong with the primers, they just don't fit tightly into the brass WT is using. If he checks and finds out its a bad lot then I doubt he will try and pass on bad primers but some folks like WW primers for their own uses.

I've saw the same thing happen over the years with WW primers and prefer others now.

If they are a bad lot, I would never sell them to someone. I would hate to hear someone got hurt or damaged a rifle because of a move like that on my part.

Lot number for the WLR-DGL741G
Lot number for the WLRM-FEL255G

This is several times just in the past year that I've seen this online... All were Winchester primers.

Gotta be something behind it...

I agree there has been a lot of problems recently with Winchester primers as those links posted show. CCI primers are my favorite, but have used a few Federal 215 M primers lately which also have been good. I do really dislike how Federal packages them though, sometimes you open the package and a whole bunch dump out......

teacher

I had the same "exact" problem with Remington Primers several years ago. OT -3 analyzed them for me and found some issue's with the manufacturing technique. Perhaps he will read this and join in. I threw them out and continued using, CCI and Federal

Back