What chambering to choose in an old x57 action?

There are probably no "bad" choices of those you listed. What a great project. The lineage of that rifle has real meaning to your family.

I would be almost positive a 9.3x57 would fit. I THINK the '06 length of the x62 might be too long to fit comfortably. But I don't really know.

A 9.3x57 would fit perfect. The x62 might fit but you would need to seat bullets pretty deep hence might not gain all that much over the x57 anyway. This is one of those intermediate lengths built specifically around the7x57 before 30-06 came into vogue.

Running the low pressures I am, I don't feel I would get enough speeds with those big heavy bullets to get anything other than a softball-pitch trajectory. I have my 45-70 for big slow moving bullets I figure.

I would have tended to agree with you, Bob, as far as the trajectory from the bigger rounds. A little homework shows the likely range to be about the same for a 250gr 9.3 bullet at 2400 (likely velocity around 40kpsi) is roughly the same, or slightly better than a 200gr bullet from an 8x57 at equal pressure. Of course, you could drop back to the 180gr .323cal BT and extend your range by maybe 20-30yds with the same drops, so it's not a totally equal comparison, but it's a lot closer than I'd have imagined.

I still think, in deference to available factory ammo of reasonable pressures, you'd be wise to use the 8x57. But any of these would be a fun rebarrel and likely give you years of good hunting.

A 8x57mm Mauser can be made into a 9.3x62mm Mauser with no changes to the bolt face or the magazine, just the barrel.

There are many choices at your feet. Is there a particular hunting need you want to fill, such as a long range plains rifle----280 Ackley comes to mind, or a varmint rifle such as a 25-06 Rem or a 6mm Rem?

I've always liked eclectic rounds as a handloader. Any of the obvious calibers you mentioned would be great. I'd lean towards 6.5X55. In keeping with the heritage of the rifle, 7.65 "Argentine" would be interesting. Similar ballistically to the .308 you're used to, factory loaded to M91 safe pressures. The Hornady 174 RN is a great bullet in this diameter for short to medium range, it works great on big burly northwoods bucks, it would be a real hogslayer as well.

Another cool one would be 6.5X54MS, but you wouldn't be gaining any over the 6.5 swede and you'd add a lot of logistical difficulties.

300 Savage, .250 savage, .257 roberts or .35 rem are common rebarrelings for m93 and M95 class actions. I've found the .300 sav in a good boltgun to be an accuracy machine.

8X57 would be a fine round, but bullet selection is limited.

If you wanted something with no potential for factory ammo mix ups, .270 Redding (.308-.270) would be a very fine choice for your purposes.

hodgeman":20ff52v0 said:
I'm liking the 7x57 more these days....

Same here buddy. It's a solid performer and it seems very easy to load for. It doesn't need alot of PSI's to be effective either but they are there if you need them.

Gonna go with the 8x57 Mauser.

It has a bit more capacity than the 7x57 and 6.5 Swede. A bit more bore capacity too will allow me to push decent weight bullets at mild pressures. And the x57 length is what the action was scaled around.

9x57 and 9.3x57 were considered but obscure, and I would like to be able get factory ammo when necessary and brass easily. Prvi sells factory ammo in Aus that should be about perfect pressure wise if I need to buy factory. Brass is easy to get here too.

Will do a medium profile barrel (the present 308 profile is quite heavy, a take off from an Omark target gun) probably at 23 inches.

The whole rifle will get a makeover, stock refinish, new blueing and so forth. Will float and bed the whole thing. Might even spring for a new scope, a fixed power Leupy in 4x or maybe 6x.

Want to keep pressures around 40 to 42k cup. I think the 150g IL around 2700fps or the 180g BT around 2500-odd are where I want to be. A 195g Interlock around 2300 or so fps shouod suffice for the biggest sambar deer or even a scrub bull at a pinch.

Thanks for the advice. It will take a while to get going but I will definitely post the results.

I believe you are making an excellent choice. In the game fields, the 8X57 is underrated by everyone save for those who own one. Your rationale appears solid to me.

I've said it many times, but it bears repeating:

I love my 8x57 Rem700. It wears a 24" barrel, and can be stoked to modern pressures without concern as it's a 2004 vintage Remington Action. It will do all your asking of it and then some, Bob. Enjoy!

Oh, and do be aware the 180gr BT is tougher than traditional BTs. Nosler staff told me over the phone that bullet is suitable for anything up to and including elk, so basically any non-dangerous game on the North American continent. I suspect it would work equally well for non-dangerous game on all the continents, though on smaller game it might prove too stout and not expand appropriately. My experience on white-tails (pushing the bullet at 2720fps muzzle velocity) showed it to act much more like a controlled expansion bullet than the lighter, faster 168gr BT from my 30-06 (2950fps mv). I suspect at 2500fps, it will expand but not dramatically (like, say, a 115gr BT from a 25-06) and will hold together well for larger deer and possibly a scrub bull in a pinch.

Well bobnob.

Regarding the 8x57!.

A 200 grain Will easily do 800 m/sec or aprox 2620 ft/sec. Over here in Europe we all know the most powerful factory loads surpasses the oughtsix..:LOL

52 grain of N150 to a 198grain bullet. COL=79mm.

Just ask a 8x57 shooter :wink:

Just been looking on the first post that the rifle is of a M1895 pattern action. I would reduce a 200 grain to about 2400 ft/sec. The action ought to be heat-treated as these actions are soft. Lug setsbacks can occur.
My rifle is a m98 commercial intermediate rifle from 1913.

As you are going with 8mm, beware of surplus ammunition. Most of it runs on the warm side, especially Yugoslavian and Turkish ammo. Not that you plan on shooting any through your fine rifle, but sometimes it turns up at the range.

Don't overlook the Hornady 195gr BTSP. It is designed to approximate the ballistics of the original Schweresspitzgeshoss bullet. According to the Hornady tech staff, it should provide fine performance on larger game in the 8X57mm.

Good luck with your new build. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

I have an older FN commercial actioned .257 Roberts. The original loads for this caliber are in the region of 40 KPSI which would be ideal for your action and the case dimensions are identical to the original 7x57mm Mauser.

EFW and Oldtrader,

Yes I did consider the 257 Roberts carefully. What a nice chambering.

I am kinda locked into this paradigm of thinking 150g bullets are my minimum. I am a pig hunter mostly. I have found 150g bullets in 270 and 308 and 30-06 to be so bloody decisive in the way they flatten pigs.

I do shoot the odd 130g bullet in my 270, and they do work well. I don't doubt the 120g in the 257 is just as effective in most cases.

You might talk me into it yet, but I think I am set on the antique 8mm Mauser at this stage.

bobnob":3tqoki33 said:
EFW and Oldtrader,

Yes I did consider the 257 Roberts carefully. What a nice chambering.

I am kinda locked into this paradigm of thinking 150g bullets are my minimum. I am a pig hunter mostly. I have found 150g bullets in 270 and 308 and 30-06 to be so bloody decisive in the way they flatten pigs.

I do shoot the odd 130g bullet in my 270, and they do work well. I don't doubt the 120g in the 257 is just as effective in most cases.

You might talk me into it yet, but I think I am set on the antique 8mm Mauser at this stage.

That 8mm Mauser will be pretty cool too!

Oldtrader3, no doubt that would be very effective!

I like the idea of the 150g 8mm rounds for deer, goats and such, and the 195g Hdy for big pigs, scrub bulls, camels or really large deer like sambar.

Back