Trying to find scope bases

PJGunner

Handloader
Dec 11, 2010
I'm trying to find a set of scope bases for my 7x57 based on a J.C, Higgins FN Mauser action. Seems Sear when the first brought the rifle out did two strange things. First the groove in the barrel for the rear sight was placed dead center over the chamber. :shock: Scared hell out of me every time I shot the rifle as is as it was a ,270 Win. Didn't care for 50 KCUP that close to my face and that thin spot in the barrel. I had it rebarreled to 7x57. 8) Second, while the from holes for a scope mount were no different than what we use today, the rear scope holes swere radicially spaced much wider requiring a special base to mount the scope. Now I wanted to mount my new Minox on theis rifle and work up a potential elk load for my upcoming hunt but the rings were such that there was not enough space to mount the scope and adjust for eye relief. So yesterday I took off and hit my gunsmith to see if he either and a mount that would work or other ideas. Nada! :( He suggested I go to Murphy's, another gun shop that had a gunsmith and see if they could do anything. Normally I don't go there as the owner is a nasty crusty old curmudgeon and yesterday proved him no different.
Disagree with him and you might get kicked out of the store. I've seen him do it. Well I got there and explained my problem and he told me I was fujll of ding although he used the expletive version. I figure I was close to getting the boot when I bet he $10.00 I was right. Have the gunsmith judge the bet. Well the smith pulled the scope and tried four different Mauser based and none would match the holes. Front no problem but the rear no go. Sure was tempted to tell him I told you so but refused his payment of the bet. I told him that I didn't need the money and he learned something. We shook hands on it and all was well. The gunsmith found that the Talley base #12 for the front would also fit the rear holes so as he only had one, I've ordered two #12's for the rifle. Now it's just waiting for them to get here.
For spits and grins I asked if they had any RE15 and 17. No 15 but they did have a few 17's, one to a customer. I took it. $34 out the door with tax. I noted in the bullet test threads that someone got some very good velocity with Re17 and 150 gr. Noslers in his 7x57 so maybe that will work for my elk hunt. I have a good supply of that bullet. :grin: Might even trys some of the 160 gr. Grand Slams I have on hand. I have the custom and an M70 FWT to work with so looks like a project when I get that scope mounted.
Paul B.

Scope bases for older, customized rifles can be difficult.

What may have been readily apparent in some gun-hobby basement workshop 50 years ago can be about clear as mud now... :grin:

There is ONE combination of Weaver bases that fits the modified Model of 1917 rifle my son uses so much anymore. I've told him to NEVER lose the existing bases. Doubt he has any intention of ever removing those bases... But ya never know.

Hope the Talley does the job for you!

Guy

Oldtrader3":z1ijfh48 said:
Paul what is the hole spacing on that mount?

It's exactly the same as the front mount. It came from Sears that way. :shock: :roll: The store only had one so I had to do a special order. Not I wait.
Paul B.

PJGunner":3rz5pllf said:
Oldtrader3":3rz5pllf said:
Paul what is the hole spacing on that mount?

It's exactly the same as the front mount. It came from Sears that way. :shock: :roll: The store only had one so I had to do a special order. Not I wait.
Paul B.

Paul, I have a new, boxed pair of steel Burris tactical bases for the Browning A-Bolt. They are the same hole spacing front and rear base as the bases on both of my two Mauser actions (Large Ring). Additionally, they appear to be the same mount thickness and radius for the action ring

If for some reason, you can not get the Talley bases, let me know and I will give/send you the unopened Burris bases?

Back