Caught Yet "Another" Great Deal!

I had an exceptionally accurate 300 WSM Winchester Model 70 "coyote" with a semi-varmint stainless barrel and laminated stock. Had a Jewel trigger as well.

Pet load came from a good 1,000 yard benchrest competitor.

210 gr Berger VLD
Norma brass I think
Federal match primers
H 4350

I might have the exact load data and chrono results still. Seems to me it was 2810 fps?

iUsFHHTl.jpg

Three shot 100 yard group:
UxxlI2Kl.jpg

Never did take any game with it and eventually sold it to a local fellow.

Regards, Guy

View attachment 22025
It’s got to be hard to sell a tack driver like that.
ALMOST took this rifle to Alaska with me in 2017 for the grizzly hunt. I just liked the way the 30-06 Rem 700 handled better. So it went instead. After I got home, I realized that I was probably never going to hunt with the 300 WSM again, so off it went. Might have been better to keep it, but honestly I had it about 10 years and only hunted with it a few times. Didn't shoot it much either, 'cause I didn't want to wear out that barrel. :)

But ya, I'm glad that I owned it, glad that it shot so well for me. Glad that I sold it. Hope the fellow who bought it gets some elk & other critters with it.

Guy

I remember that rifle Guy. She was easy on the eyes and shoot really well with a few different loads. Somebody got themselves a real sweetheart of a rifle.

JD338

I am for sure BlackRam! ha I just can't make myself "accumulate". I feel OK with a handful of special rifles, but if I want a new/different one, I will sell (or sometimes pass it on to my SIL for my grand daughter's education ) at 14 she doesn't hunt, smothering/fearful daughter of mine as her mom! ha I love it, always experimenting, keeps me "sane" through these 34 active years of Pastoring, lol.

Last edited:
Rifles still at the Smith's, the MK V basically done, re-bedded, reamed to the Ackley. Kimber still waiting on its Trigger Tech and new, slender muzzle brake. It's having the Sightron Big Sky 3x12x42 mounted. I have gathered up for it some 154 TTH and some 155 Scenars for first loads. For CnC I have some 150PHs, 180 Mag-Tips. Getting itchy

Couldn't resist it...another local AD had a Remington 700 BDL SS in .264WM (26") and a high dollar Leupold. He wanted $1400 for the combo. He also claimed the scope was a $700 value. Sooo...I offered him $700 for the bare rifle. He took it! Seems he was trying to sell his House and had ran into some unexpected repairs. I didn't try to Low Ball him, but I didn't want to give Gunbroker prices for a rifle (just not in .264WM) I used to pay $375 for years ago, ha. It seems this was a Special Run for an outfit called "SportCo", or something? It has a twisted off scope base screw, and the foolish J-Lock Bolt Shroud. Both easy remedies. However, the trigger broke at 2.5#, and it looked like it had not been fired much at all. Anyhow, it will make up into a heavier weight overall for a good Prairie/Sage Flat rifle out where the wind blows! But that wiped out my "Rat-Hole" money at present. Oh well, all in good time! :)

Congratulations on the 700 BDL SS 264 Win Mag.
Great chambering

JD338

Couldn't resist it...another local AD had a Remington 700 BDL SS in .264WM (26") and a high dollar Leupold. He wanted $1400 for the combo. He also claimed the scope was a $700 value. Sooo...I offered him $700 for the bare rifle. He took it! Seems he was trying to sell his House and had ran into some unexpected repairs. I didn't try to Low Ball him, but I didn't want to give Gunbroker prices for a rifle (just not in .264WM) I used to pay $375 for years ago, ha. It seems this was a Special Run for an outfit called "SportCo", or something? It has a twisted off scope base screw, and the foolish J-Lock Bolt Shroud. Both easy remedies. However, the trigger broke at 2.5#, and it looked like it had not been fired much at all. Anyhow, it will make up into a heavier weight overall for a good Prairie/Sage Flat rifle out where the wind blows! But that wiped out my "Rat-Hole" money at present. Oh well, all in good time! :)
"He was a stranger, and I took him in." :LOL:

I had that Kimber 8400 300 WSM tricked out, put a "like new" but older Leupold 3.5x10 on it and had a brake added. I gathered up all the dies/brass/loaded rounds and extra components and Gifted the rifle to my Son in Law/ He is the Marine Reservist I mention from time to time. He just retired from the MC Reserves after 28 years, Master Gunny Sgt. I'm proud of him (even prouder of the Grand Daughter he gave me, lol.)
On the Wby UL , after playing with it some, I decided to have it rechambered to the Ackley. Played with it some more and decided to have it rechambered to the 338 RPM. More power! ha Hey, Life is too short and I found I really do like 2 things...(A) a light rifle like this one (but not too light) and (B) lots of "thump" on Elk. So we shall see. Uncle Fotis can help me with my load data! lol

Well, it keeps getting better! It looks like I wouldn't have enough barrel shank to set the barrel back "again". The 338 RPM will need .301 set back in order to clean up the Ackleys neck. Seems the RPMs neck is a bit narrower than the Ackleys. So ended up searching for a replacement barrel. On Ebay, found a company that bought up a bunch of Weatherby barrels and they had a fluted 338/06 A-Square chrome moly barrel that will fit the 6 lug action! For $90! So I sent for one. We shall see if it will work out. I'm not a Collector, I'm a Handloader who gets to hunt every now and then! :)

Well, it keeps getting better! It looks like I wouldn't have enough barrel shank to set the barrel back "again". The 338 RPM will need .301 set back in order to clean up the Ackleys neck. Seems the RPMs neck is a bit narrower than the Ackleys. So ended up searching for a replacement barrel. On Ebay, found a company that bought up a bunch of Weatherby barrels and they had a fluted 338/06 A-Square chrome moly barrel that will fit the 6 lug action! For $90! So I sent for one. We shall see if it will work out. I'm not a Collector, I'm a Handloader who gets to hunt every now and then! :)
Preacher if you keep changing them barrels, they might make you get an FFL manufacturing license:D Dan.

Received the barrel and it was perfect! $90, can't hardly believe it! Can't hardly wait for the finished project either.

Back