What fast .30 caliber for my new barrel?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I am in the process of getting the new 26 inch barrel in 30 caliber for my Rem 700. It used to be a 7 STW. What fast .30 caliber would you guy put on it? I would like to have good quality brass available for it, its my main concern.

Some might say I'm a bit bias, but, I say a .300 Win. Mag. And H1000 is hard to beat. Nosler brass is good stuff, it's what I use, you can find lapua brass for it if you really hunt it down and are willing to pay the price, and Norma brass is also available. I shoot 215gr. Berger Hybrids out of mine, 28" Hart 1-9" Twist and get 2,991 per my magneto with a single digit SD. I couldn't really ask for more than that. Here's the most recent groups at 100 yards and at 688 yards, off a bipod, and rear bag prone. Gun is capable of much better as well, but 1/2 MOA still ain't bad for a canyon elk rifle. Let us know what you decide to go with!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,204
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,204
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 1,204
I second the .300 Win Mag. It's a classic performer.

If you want to go faster, the .30 Nosler looks pretty good. If you want to go as fast as possible and use all of your magazine box, get a .30-378 WBY.

I am not a 30 calibre guy but a number of the young guys around these parts are playing with the 300 RUM :wink:.
I know one of the guys was at the range last time I was and he was playing with the 180gr. ABs and he was saying he was going to be trying the 210gr. ABLRs as well if he can find some :wink: .
Just another thought (y). Looking forward to range reports with photos!!

Blessings,
Dan

A properly loaded 300 Weatherby will step on the heels of a 300 RUM, but a 300 winMag in a 26" can come awful close too. I really like the 300 RUM but brass availability is an issue now. I was once told by an old savvy Western hunter/rifleman, " A 300 Winmag is a 500yd elk gun, a 300 RUM is a 700yd elk gun"...There are some men that can shoot further, but "on average" I'd say he was right. With the 300 winmag I have killed far more game (American and South Africa, Namibia) than with any other 300 mag, but used the Barnes 180 xbt. But, you just "had" a 7mm STW , which is a really good one, so I suggest the 300 RUM with all its current issues. Have a ball Pard!

My vote would be for the 300 WBY mag. Brass is easy to find and available from most manufacturers. Larger cases have too many downsides and can not justify the small increases in velocity. All RUM brass is increasingly difficult to locate.

I would suspect that the 30 Nosler will have Nosler brass available far into the future and you would not have the belt to deal with if that is an issue for you. Certainly worth considering.

The only good brass you can get for a RUM is 338 Edge Bertram brass. Remington and Norma stuff is fairly soft.

I have 2 30-8mm mag's which is your 7STW necked up to .30 caliber. They are basically 300 Weatherby's. I have always used Remington 8mm Mag brass but it's hard to come by now days too. I have about 650 rounds of new brass though so I'm good for a long time. You can fireform 300 H&H, 375 H&H, or 300/340 Weathery brass. The 30 Nosler is basically the same just shorter and fatter. The nice thing about that is it fits in a magazine easier. But your stuck with one source of brass.

A 300wm is hard to beat for component availability. It's slower but it's also shorter and fit's in a magazine easier.

BTW you would have to modify your feed rails and magazine to have them work for the 30 Nosler and 300 RUM. The fatter cases won't feed through a standard magnum action.

Remington does make a RUM sized magazine box & follower. The rails seldom need any work then. However, the 300 Weatherby is probably the most bang for the headache with 300 WinMag being pretty much headache free! In a 26" bbl, and the 180 TTSX...shame on him time! ha

Anything on a 2.850" case length needs a Wyatt mag box to get all the potential from the case. Even a 300wm could use one if you shoot the heaviest bullets. Generally the feed rails do need work. Many times the RUM cases won't actually fit between the feed rails in the back of the cut out.

I have a 300wsm I built on a 300wm action that won't feed. The front of the mag cut out is too small to allow the fatter cases to feed through it. I'm not sure why they don't make them all wide enough to work for a 300RUM because the standard magnums feed fine with the wider width of the RUM actions. I have a center feed mag box from Wyatt for my 300wsm.

It all depends on what you want and what you plan on doing with it.
The one .30 cal that wasn't mentioned is the 308 Norma.

I use a 300 RUM FOR 99% of all my hunting. It hasn't failed me yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of good choices and none of them are wrong. I really like a 300 rum and it's the only rifle I have not sold after killing a bull elk and for me that says a lot about the caliber.

I had a Mod 700 Varminter in .308 converted to the 300 WSM when they first came out with it. My smith used an In Line magazine, don't remember the name of it. My first 300 RUM was simply a converted Mod 700 Classic in 30-06. My smith had to do some work on the rails, etc, but it did work OK. My next two were also Mod 700 RUMS, both factory chambered, but one had a chattered up bore, it got a new Shilen. The other was a Mod 700 SPS SS. I set the one up with the Shilen for the 200 AccuBond, gave it to my Marine SIL upon his return in 2004 from Iraq. Later, I had the SPS set up for the Nosler Factory RUM load with the 180 Partition. I had a Leupold 4.5x14AO on it with the elevation dial install by them, it was good to go out to 900. My SIL put one of those big Husqemah dial a matics on his, and he killed a big cow easy cheesy a tad over 450yds. To me, a good rangefinder and a dial it in scope is the only way to go for long range. Long range for me is anything over 375yds! I really don't hunt that way anymore, so I don't have that kind of set up anymore. I am going to the 358 Norma Mag for a different experience this time, rifle is almost ready, it won't have a scope over 2.5x8, will carry the 1.5x5 most the time! I personally feel, for elk, the 200AB or similar is the way to go in the RUM. I think I still prefer the Barnes 180 TTSX in the 300 Winchester. Gosh, ain't no flys on any of them, ha!

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 7mm STW came from the same case as a 8mm mag. And I'm pretty sure the 300 WBY is the same case in 308 only rounded shoulder. I think the case capacities are virtually identical between the three. If you can't get it done with the 300 WBY it's time to go bigger bore!

Oh, a .300 Norma would be a really cool round ;) but it has the .338 Lapua Case head, it's a beast of a round with the 230gr class Bullets though.

I just do not want to open up the bolt face. Looks like the 300 WM is a good candidate. If I go to WSM, then the magazine box needs to be worked on due to smaller lengths.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag! I say go for it! With al these new powders coming out, especially R26 and R33, with a 180 TTSX ( my favorite) or a 180 anything, 3100 or thereabouts will do anything you want it to...I think, overall, its the easiest to deal with, especially concerning components.

Whatever you get out a Wyatt extended mag box in it. Throat it out to use the extra COL. That will really help with the longer bulletsout there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back