What insects to expect in WY ?? ??? ??

G

To be there in early Oct. What pesty insects are we likely to encounter? Ticks, Mosquitos, fleas, chiggers or red bugs, flies, ants etc. Knowing ahead of time allows time to be prepared. Thanks.

I've been there in May and Oct. Never saw a bug. But they do have "goat heads". No doubt Pop can fill you in.

Long

Antrelope-Sniper, South central.

russ808, I am like you ..... what is a goat head ?????

I was in south east Wyoming. A goat head is a burr/sticker thing that growns low on the ground. Small, strong spines hurts if you get stuck. Oh! and they look like a goats head. Then there is the walking cactus. You step on it and it swings up on the back of your leg and stays there until you poke your fingers and take it off. Course it growns where you leave it.

Long

Usually too cold for bugs by then. Didn't see snakes or bugs but the cactus is small enough to overlook and it bites if you crawl thrue it. The prarie chickens will spook you pretty good if you spook them. They are the size of chickens..
Greg

Just looked up goat head on the internet. They are apparently like out sand spurs. Nasty little devils.

Prairie chickens ???? I love fried chicken.....
of course that would require a lincese, have to be within season, require land owner permission etc. etc. etc. Good thought anyway.

The only pesky insect's might be fly's and hornets. I carry a can of pepper to sprinkle on any any exposed meaty areas on the animal carcase. For some reason fly's and hornets will not go near pepper.

Goat heads are a big pain in the a$$, thats what they are, LOL.

They are a brown pointy thing that grows on a long stringy plant in the dry sand environment. THey are eveyrwhere and it does no good pulling them as it only takes ONE seed to fall off and it will grow WITHOUT water again.

It really only bothers people when you walk in your house with your shoes on and track them in the house, then you step on them and lemme tell you a big goathead in the heel of your foot is about enough to make you throw whatevers in throwing distance!!!

I lived in Wyoming for 17 years and in october the main bug that we had problems with are nats and fly's. But then again I use to live up between lovell and powell.

GB300wm":38tqw0gn said:
What, no mosquitos. I thought everywhere had them.... :grin:

I'll be going up to NE WY next month, I could trap some of our ricefield Mosquitos & bring them up, but it would be culture & weather shock for them I think! :grin:

I think you are right AND I am glad you are looking out for the best interest of the mosquitos by leaving them behind. :lol:

nomosendero":yy31hur4 said:
GB300wm":yy31hur4 said:
What, no mosquitos. I thought everywhere had them.... :grin:

I'll be going up to NE WY next month, I could trap some of our ricefield Mosquitos & bring them up, but it would be culture & weather shock for them I think! :grin:
LOL :lol: Yes we do have mosquitos there but they aren't that bad this year for some reason down there, which is strange because last year we had a ton of them when I was deer hunting. But I was just down there yesterday and I did not see one mosquito, but there was a ton of gnats

If it had small "rain pools " around expect mosquitos. However in October I would say very unlikely.
In the summer while prairie dog shooting? OFF is my best buddy!

Back