What is the best fastest cleaner you ever used?

I tried something different today though I've had it on the bench for quite a while, Remington 40-X bore cleaner. I got it out at Camp Perry from a Remington promotion display and it was a give away along with a bottle of Rem Oil.

257 Ackley":2sv0jfhg said:
HTDUCK":2sv0jfhg said:
GM top engine cleaner mixed 50/50 with Kroil .
The top engine cleaner was designed to remove carbon.
Problem is GM quit making TEC years ago and I'm nearly out.

Been experimenting with Butch's and Kroil mixed together.
Does a pretty good job.

A lot of benchrest shooters used this combo, but are running into the same problem you are. Some of us are starting to use Kroil and Seafoam 50/50. It has worked for me. I just took care of a nasty carbon ring in one of my competition rifles with this combo.

Reading both post got me to thinking. I've got about can left of GM and I was thinking of trying TM solution?

zacii":3t41gp6g said:
Vince":3t41gp6g said:
I like Lever 2000.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
I'm a Zest guy, myself ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I wondered who was going to catch that. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

30-338":azpll2bj said:
257 Ackley":azpll2bj said:
HTDUCK":azpll2bj said:

Does a pretty good job.

A lot of benchrest shooters used this combo, but are running into the same problem you are. Some of us are starting to use Kroil and Seafoam 50/50. It has worked for me. I just took care of a nasty carbon ring in one of my competition rifles with this combo.

Reading both post got me to thinking. I've got about can left of GM and I was thinking of trying TM solution?

I tried the TM solution and did not like it. Kroil oil first than butches seem to work for me. And like I said I have Hoppes #9 and Shooter Choice solvents too. I think with kroil alot of copper just comes out with carbon fowling and you do not see it. than the stuck on copper gets oxided and comes out blue by the solvents.

SJB358":15bbz07y said:
257 Ackley":15bbz07y said:
HTDUCK":15bbz07y said:

Does a pretty good job.

Joel, Seafoam and Kroil mixed together?

Yep...I mixed the two in one of my plastic bottles with a flip open nozzle and squeeze it on the patch from the port on the rod guide. It doesn't seem to settle out or separate.

tjen":2zpixqii said:
30-338":2zpixqii said:
257 Ackley":2zpixqii said:
HTDUCK":2zpixqii said:

Does a pretty good job.

I tried the TM solution and did not like it. Kroil oil first than butches seem to work for me. And like I said I have Hoppes #9 and Shooter Choice solvents too. I think with kroil alot of copper just comes out with carbon fowling and you do not see it. than the stuck on copper gets oxided and comes out blue by the solvents.

I've been on BR also checking what Bruno's had. I think going to get couple different ones and see what works and I'd like to find something I can mix Kroil with. Thanks for the help

For copper I'll go with Wipeout, but if its an old gun, and really hard to clean, I will use the old timers bench rest miracle stuff called Blue Goop, you have to make it yourself...One quart of commercial 25% Amonia, one cup of Hydrogen Peroxide, you an toss in a copper penny or bullet to turn it blue or skip that step...Swab the barrel, leave it for no more than 30 minutes, I leave it 15 or 20, then wipe dry, then clean with Hoppes, WD 40 or whatever and oil profusely, wipe dry before shooting...Its potent stuff, for well ventilated areas I'm told...For everyday cleaning I use a boresnake and some cleaner on wire portion, one pass equals 180 patches...A bore need not be squeaky clean and more bores are ruined with cleaning rods than anything else..

I've used boretech eliminator and have not been that impressed with it. after using it as stated on the bottle in my 300 RUM I followed it up with CR10 only to find copper fouling present.

CR10 has never failed to eliminate the copper fouling.

Don

I have settled on using a few patches of shooters choice and a brush just to get the loose carbon out. After that I switch to a soaked patch of Wipe out accelerator, followed by a soaked patch of patch out/wipe out. This seems to work very well for me. On really stubborn barrels (my father in laws 270 WSM, and my 338 WM) I'll throw in some JB bore paste with the shooters choice.

I gave the BT a try because of this thread. I really enjoy that fact that is doesn't smell, and it appears to work fine, but it takes a lot of patches before it comes clean.

I really like the Shooter Choice/Wipe Out because it doesn't take a bunch of my time. I can load while my gun is cleaning.

diverdown,

I have to check, but I think that's what I used in the past.

Don

I read this post numerous times and the word fast like the word magnum got me confused which happens easy it seems now a days any way I was looking for a fast way to clean the copper fouling out of my new cut 35 AI barrel and bought some Bore Tech CU+2 since everyone said it was so fast at cleaning out the copper well I worked at it pretty steady and it seemed to take for ever so I got lazy after reading the bottle and it said it had rust inhibitors in it and could be left in the barrel for storage Hmmm? So why not let it sit over night and soak good to penetrate the fouling? Dang a blind squirrel found a nut :lol: I can actually see bare metal in the bore now and it has stopped puking blue goo. (y) Maybe now it won't foul as bad since there is nothing to grab the copper and should smooth the barrel out quicker.

Late as usual to the thread
I use Holland's Witches Brew (which is nothing but Kroil with some 1200 grit aluminum oxide in it) which works very well for me. I messed around trying to make it myself and fouled up the mix so went ahead and bought a bunch.

Ridgerunner665":2xb9ydm7 said:
The fastest... Montana Extreme 50 BMG Copper Killer... mean stuff!!!

But does what it says it will...

This is what I use. Works great, but gets that solvent smell that our wife's loves so much :mrgreen:

Back