What is the out look?

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
Does any one know what the outlook for this muzzeloader elk season is in the Flattops wilderness area of Colorado? My outfitter says they are seeing plenty of elk, but I guess he kinda has to say that. :roll:
JD

JD,

Haven't heard anything, but one of my friends is in that area for archery elk. You might ask your outfitter how many 6X6 bulls he has seen. ;)

jim

JD,

I used to work for Rich LaRocco at hunts.net, and he collected stats from the outfitters that he sent hunters to. How many hunters, how many animals taken or passed, and what sizes?

You might also think about your definition of success for this hunt: what animal are you looking for?; what animal will be a shooter the second half of the hunt? I like to call these "Wednesday critters". ;)

jim

Well, I realize that this is "HUNTING" and I probably aint gonna get the next world record. But like anyone else I would like the best possible head I can get. When it comes to white tail, I'm not an antler hunter, but I dont pay $4000.00 for a deer either. That said, I realize I'm not paying for antlers now either but for the guides knowledge of the animal being hunted and the area being hunted. I'll trust my guide to evaluate me, and my ability and also question him on the availability and quality of game available. Also no matter how much you pay, fair chase on public land with no finces sometimes = no game. I wont be disapointed to the point of giving up the sport, and will try not to even think twice about the aftermath of the hunt.
If it was a game ranch, and I paid for a specific bull, (which doesn't interest me) I may then have some grief. Thanks for the input, I'll try to contact Mr. LaRocco and ask his advice.
JD

Back