What is your favorite caliber for hunting?

Pop,

My all time favorite is my M700 LSS in 338 RUM, with PT's it is a hammer for all game.
But:
for varmits, M700VLS in 22-250 with 50 gr BT
for plinking, M700 Classic in 257 Roberts with 100 gr BT
for cedar swamp hunting, M700 Classic in 35 Whelen with 225 gr PT
for WT Deer, soon to be a M700 in 280 Rem AI (any day now).

Regards,

JD338

Let's see if I can alibi all my rifles.

17 HMR...Prairie dogs, plinking

223 Rem same as above moderate range--50 gr BT

204 Ruger same as above--longer range--No noslers made :cry:

264 Win Mag Super Grade 125 Nosler PT at 3350fps--ultimate Antelope gun

7mm WSM Browning Stalker--160 AccuBond at 3010 fps--Deer/elk in
places where light weight is needed.

300 RUM__SAKO 75-200 AccuBond at 3150 fps- All arounder/elk

358 Win Browning BLR- 225 Partition--no load yet elk in brush, pigs, short range deer--158 Nosler 357 JHP at 1200 fps with 10 grains of Unique for plinking/small game

416 WBY--T-rex and Africa one day.No high BC AB noslers made :cry:

Well, since you said "caliber" I would go with my 280. Big enough but not too big for anything I hunt or will hunt in my lifetime.

Long

I have come to the realization that with Premium bullets, my one gun is my 25-06. It will do everything I need it to do. That being said, here are the ones I own.

17 HMR. Prarie dogs don't know what hit em, Accurate within 150 yards and bullets explode on impact so no real ricochet issues.

22 LR CHEAP, CHEAP with good enough accuracy.

6mm Remington - Rem Mod 600 - Good for kids to start with.

25-06 - Browing A-Bolt with Pac-Nor barrel - Awesome for p-dogs, coyotes, antelope and deer. Good enough for elk.

300 SAUM - Rem 700 - It will do it all, but on a larger scale.

The two guns I would like to buy:
A Kimber 8400 in 7mm WSM - lightweight accurate, good for everything.
Remington Sendero 300 RUM. When you want to reach out and touch something.

.308 win w/150 grain CT balistic tips for muleys and antelope.
300WSM w/ 180 and 200 grain partitions for elk.
Ruger Mini 14 .223 for any varmit I can get my greedy little hands on.
.243 with 100 grainers for antelope and muleys (my Sons)

I agree with all of you! There is a favorite for all seasons and the more the merrier! Thats the fun of it all. If I had, at the threat of torture, to pick one it would be........ The one I,m carrying on this hunt! We all know the most popular calibers but don't we all want to be a little exotic and special? Mine was a .270 Newton. Never heard of it? If you look in enough old( as in very old) loading manuals you will find passing mention of it. It's the equivelent of what a .270 RUM would be. Not belted and BIG.
It's my favorite for being the rifle my dad and I killed our first elk on dad's last hunting trip with. I'll bet that you have favorite rifles for reasons that mean little or nothing to others but OH! what a memory?
If I have to be practical about it I would have to pick my .375 RUM because of the way it feels and the universal loading possibilities it presents. I've been looking for a .338 RUM Rem. LSS to be my back up for big game and primary for deer and pigs. Sorry for such a complicated answer to such a simple question! So many rifles and so little time!! :grin:

Easy 375 H@H of course .
Poopie lemme no when u go to Africa , so's I'll no not to go at the same time ..
Hi QH again :roll:
Jack

458lott":1bs2wv63 said:
Easy 375 H@H of course .
Poopie lemme no when u go to Africa , so's I'll no not to go at the same time ..
Hi QH again :roll:
Jack

Always bitchin Jack! :evil:

BTW I got my bike

anb.jpg

Pop,

Congratulations on your bike. please be careful!
All you need is a scabboard and you can chase down the prarrie speed goats.
What is the BC of your bike?

Regards,

JD338

I am not sure of the BC but I can tell you it has the lowest drag coefficient (HIGH BC) of any sport bike out there! Hence it is the fastest production bke in the world. Give me an e-mail address and I will send you a video that will freak you out! You will see what this baby can do! : :twisted:

POP:

How ya going to carry a buck or bull in that small basket?

Seriously, nice bike! What model and how many CC's?

Steve

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 GSX-R! :twisted:

Yeah yeah yeah Poopie I had already seen that pic or one like it .. :?
I can tell these people dont know about YOU :shock:
I can also tell that you still have nothing to do at Cheyenne .. :roll:
Appears you at least have a FORD , now u just need a Harley ... :wink:
Poopie doesnt need a way to carry ded critters , he doesnt shoot them , he jus buys rifles for trading stock ..
Jack

I do have a Ford Jack and it has carried plenty of dead critters.
As far as trading rifles all the time....what can I say. It is a syndrome! :twisted:

Back