What is your favorite caliber for hunting?

Why the 7mm Remington Magnum, especially with a good 160 or 175 grain bullet. This caliber may have lost some of its oomph since 1962, but I believe it has turned into a real classic. I've taken lots of elk, bear, caribou, deer, and antelope with this round. Still shoots flat enough at any range game ought to be taken from and it has a mild recoil compared to the other magnums. The key to long range shooting is the accuracy of the gun coupled with knowing the range. The key is you really have to get to know the round in order to appreciate it, but the same can be said of many other rounds as well.

My favorite, is a 7MM-08 in a Rem 700 Mtn LSS. It's extremely accurate, an easy carry and a pleasure to shoot. Groups at 100Yds are averaging just a hair over 1/2" with 140Grn Accubonds on top of Varget. I'm really look to hunting with it for the first time this year.

firstshot
----------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Then reach into the safe and hope I have enough ammo for whatever comes out.

For my favorite type of hunting, which is sittin the edged of big open pastures, I like my 25/06 - 115gr Part.

for out to 200 yds the .270 with 130gr BT's,

For toting around in the thick stuff, my Ruger compact in .308.

Our other long range rig is the Sendero in 7 mag. I use it when my daughter kidnaps the 25 from me. Sometimes she will even switch them around in the cases so I have to keep a close eye on her. Here is what she ended up taking with the 25/06 last year,
213938267lTEbEz_ph.jpg

Not a bad shot either just a little over 250 yds across half of our back pasture.

As for the rest of the calibers from 22 up through 44, well they get used too here and there. Just depends on what feels the need to stretch it's legs. However, my 41mag gets the most time in the field with me. Thiose hogs up in the areas we hunt have grown to seriously dislike it as as the noise it makes. LOL

Ask about ones favorite rifle: Boy, there are some real opinions! Mine has to be the 35 whelen followed by the 375 H&H & the 416 Rigby. I have used all three in Africa and find them to be perfect for the game I hunt. The Whelen is my newest entry and it has been the most pleasant surprize. It was a rifle I found at the local gunshop based on a p-14 action that was a real cob. What a shooter. Thanks to Nosler for the best bullet that I ever shot in this rifle.

I have a tough time here...

Presently my favorite is my .280 Rem for Coyotes & Varmits 120 NBTs
for Antelope & Deer....140 NABs
for Elk.......................160 NABs
for Bear & Moose........160 NPTs

I'm with Tod, the 260 is doing it all right now. Low recoil, accurate and kills everything from ground hogs to elk effectively.

I used to be a 7mmRemMag fan and still like the gun.

I'm suprised no one had mentioned my favorite just yet, 243 Win. Next would be a 300WinMag. One extreme to the other,huh?

HWD

My favorite hunting caliber is 35 Whelen. I use it for deer & bear here in PA (Remington 7600 pump action rifle). Followed closely by my 300 Savage in my old 99 :grin:

I would say my favorite is the 25-06. I've shot enough yotes, deer, and a couple black bears now, all at fairly longer ranges, to know that it kills. With the 75g v-max at 3800fps is is an awesome long range Pdog or yote getter. Same can be said for the 85g BT at 3600fps. I have made several 1 shot kills on yotes out to 600 yards with these bullets. For deer, I have always chose the 115g BT for its B.C. I shot it at 3200fps and was averaging 1/2" at 100 yards, and 4-5 inch groups at 525 yards. Needless to say, it took its fair share of bucks out to 400-600 yards. Never lost a deer, only had 1 buck run farther than about 2 feet. The 115g BT's always fully penetrated, even when put through the shoulders on purpose. To test the theory of the 25-06 even more, I took it black bear hunting. I have shot 3 of my 4 bears with it. The closest being 375 yards and the farthest being 604 yards. Guess what, the 25-06 and the 115g BT wins again. For the upcoming year, I will be testing the 100g Partition for spike elk. I feel it will kill them out to at least 400 yards proving I put the bullet in the chest. Knowing what the 25-06 can do in such a small, mild, yet flat shooting and has enough energy to bring down animals out to the average distance they are shot, I feel it would be the last rifle the government would have to pry from my hands. I also have a nice 300 RUM with the 200g AB for the longer range work, but feel it is overkill for thin skinned game, at most normal ranges they are shot at.

Used to be .270Win, which was fine out to 300 yards on Muley. Then I coveted the big ones that I was glassing at 450 yards, so now I'd choose 7mmRemMag out of a good 26" bbl. The 7RemMag is a tad heavy for prairie dogs, but I did hit on a light hand load that works well using 140gr AB. "Use enough gun!"

This one made me think a while...
Living in Easern Oregon and never knowing how far I might need to shoot I would have to say my 7RUM is now my favorite for deer and elk, it shoots flat and hits very hard but not something I regularly carry in the truck every day for coyotes. That would be my 220 Swift. I do have to chime in in agreement with the guy from Hermiston about the 25-06, my wife owns a nice A-Bolt that I like very much and had started to become too attatched to. I was starting to get the feeling that she didn't completely approve of our developing relationship so I had to put it back in the safe and dig out the Swift for everyday use. I shure do miss the -06.
Dave

After 40 years of Hunting,Reloading, and Shooting different Rifles and Loads this is what works for me. They have little recoil, shoot flat, kill game and are fun to shoot.
Varmints 204 Ruger 39gr Blitzking - Rel 10x - Fed GM205 - WW brass
Deer 260 Rem 120 Ballistic Tip - H-4350 - Fed 210 - RP brass
Elk 7mm08 Rem 140 AccuBond - Rel 15 - WLR - RP brass

I just discovered this site, my 1st post
mini-30 running wolve
250-3000 standing wolves
30 gibbs sheep
300 mag ack imp local moose
358 norma mag guide rifle
425 express brown bear rig
458 lott yard gun

I am of the opinion that .284 is the most efficient caliber for all North American big game hunting. My favorite cartridge in that caliber is the 7MM Rem Mag. However, the rifle I most often hunt with now is a Featherweight in .308 Win. This combo has ample power for all but the largest bears (polar & brown) under most conditions. I think it is ample enough for interior grizzlies. Most importantly, though, is that this combo is easy to carry, produces outstanding accuracy, and does not punish me at the range.

Boy, have I gone through a pronounced hunting transition. At one time I wouldn't have given a nickel for the bland '06 and .308 Win. Now I think one has to look long and hard to find a better North American cartridge for most hunting situations than the .308 Win. Out to 350 yards, the distance that most hunters can reasonable expect to hit an ungulate, the .308 will get the job done!

Happy New Year,

Tom

Right now it is a .338 Win. Mag. If I could only have one this would be it.
Mine is a second generation Model 70 Classic Super Grade and it shoots Ballistic Tips, Accubonds, and Partitions of all weights very very well. Latest kills with it were two Whitetail does taken with 200gr Ballistic Tips. Big or small this rifle in this caliber can get it done. As much as I like a .375 H&H, my .338 can do most of what it can do in a much handier package. As for the ever reliable 30-06, the .338 with 180-200 Ballistic Tips fills in well for it and Accubonds will only make the situation better.

Back