What MV for deer? .243cal

roysclockgun

Handloader
Dec 17, 2005
I have loaded up an NEF single shot rifle in .243Cal., with the standard 22" barrel. I used 100gr. Spitzer bullets and enough IMR4350 to achieve 2700fps MV (ten ft. from the muzzle). That load works well for my wife, as recoil is well within the range that she can handle. She is grouping all rounds within a two inch circle at 100 yds., and she had never before fired a rifle until this Spring.
My question springs from my outfitter's claim that my MV should be 2900 fps MV to attain the best penetration, using the load for wild pigs and deer. Should I increase the load to get more penetration, or should my current MV achieve good penetration?
Last year, I killed a 250 lb. hog in the area and the year before a buck that dressed out to 150 lbs., and was shot at just over 200 yds., while hunting in a clear-cut. I took both animals using my 7mmRemMag. I would anticipate that my wife will not get a shot and anything much larger than those two, judging by animals that were brought into camp during those times.
Steven

My daughter's rifle has a 20" tube and we're shooting the 95 bt at 2750 fps and it slams deer out to 200 yards, which is far enough for a junior. No problems encountered as all shots were pass throughs and 3 of the 4 were drt and the other going 20 yards. Good enough for me.:grin: :grin:

roysclockgun

Sometimes too much velocity can be a detriment to deep penetration.
The design of the bullet is also going to determine the amount of penetration you get.
Top accuracy and precise shot placement are more important than just getting to a certain velocity point.

I would recommend switching to the Nosler 100 gr PT, tweak the load for best accuracy and don't look back. You will have more than enough penetration for deer and hogs.

JD338

+1 with JD's comment -

Put accuracy & shot placement first priority.

There are a couple completely different theories out there -
1) Bullet weight retention upon impact -
A. IMO - Nosler has the market cornered on this type of
bullet ie..... partitions & Accubonds.
B. For a Beginner these types of bullets can't be beat, as
they will penetrate bone etc very well and don't need to be
driven @ high velocities - generally not recommended anyway.
This works great for keeping the recoil down.

2) Bullet Expansion / Destruction
A. I don't think many follow this theory for a big game hunting
bullet.
B. Shot placement is critical & generally needs to be kept away
from heavy bone ie.... no fudge factor !

Unless you're lobbing them at long range you will not tell the diff.

I am with JD338 the deer or ? will not notice the 200fps difference if hit well, using a well constructed bullet

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you.
I am wondering if the question that I posed in my original post has any validity, regarding the deer hunting guide person claiming that there is an optimum velocity, to achieve best results on any game. Given that this formula would change, depending on the weight of the animal : What if I am bringing a 150 deer under fire, aiming for the heart/lung area? The range is 150 to 200 yards. The bullet is a 6mm 100 gr. AccuBond. Is there evidence shown anywhere, demonstrating that I am best off launching the bullet at specific MV? Or, does the general consensus merely come down on the side of loading anywhere between 2700 fps and 3100 fps and let fly?
Steven

At the distance suggested with the bullet you intend to use, the shift in POI is insignificant and the performance on medium bodied game will be more than adequate, provided muzzle velocity is between 2700 and 3100 fps. With a 100 yard zero, there will be ~1.5 inch drop in POI between those two extremes at 200 yards. Energy delivered to the game will be decreased by ~300 ft-lbs. Provided bullet placement is correct, it is adequate to kill deer and hogs.

Okay DrMike, thanks again for your valuable input. I feel confident telling wife, Storm, that if the game does not die when she makes a hit, it is not the fault of my hand loads. The ability to relate this information to her with some degree of confidence, is very important to me, as otherwise she may tend to place blame on what I have done to contribute to her hunting sucess, rather than on a poorly placed shot. (BG!)
Steven

Dont think the bullet and velocity you are talking about will have much trouble canvasing a deer. If you get into it with the wife about wether or not the deer folded in his tracks we cant help you at all. No way, no how....not goin' there. CL

roysclockgun":fhjf9bdt said:
Okay DrMike, thanks again for your valuable input. I feel confident telling wife, Storm, that if the game does not die when she makes a hit, it is not the fault of my hand loads. The ability to relate this information to her with some degree of confidence, is very important to me, as otherwise she may tend to place blame on what I have done to contribute to her hunting sucess, rather than on a poorly placed shot. (BG!)
Steven
She will blame you any way.............. :(

When we exchanged vows, I somehow agreed to "Whats yours is mine and whats mine is mine" and "I am always right". :lol:

A 243 cal 100 gr PT (no AB yet) at 2700 fps + will quickly kill any deer or hog so long as it is placed where it needs to be. Just make sure your bride becomes proficient with her marksmanship and knows the anatomy of the animals she intends to hunt.

You will be her hero. :wink:

JD338

JD338, thanks for letting me know that there are no 6mm AB bullets yet. I had intended using AB, as the AB bullets in my 7mm have proven very effective on white tails, mule deer and pigs.
Which 6mm bullet should I buy for her 243Win rifle for use on deer and pigs? Where we are hunting in Alabama, I would be very surprised if she is able to bring a buck under fire heavier than 150lbs.
Should I stick with the 100 gr. bullet?
Do Ballistic Tips break up to much to be effective on white tail deer?
Would the Partition Bullet not meet enough resistance in white tails to cause it not to open up?
Would the Hornady Interbond not be a good choice, given the parameters that I previously stated?
I know what the Sierras are doing, so at least I have a start line of accuracy to go by.
Since I will be blamed, should she blow a shot, I need all the help that I can get, in terms of providing her with cartridges that will anchor deer and/or pigs!! (BG!)
Steven

What you have set up for your wife is absolutely fine! I'm with many others here who say put the 100 gr. Partition in those cases, or the new 90 gr. E-tip and you won't be sorry. My son used the E-tips last year and they worked great on antelope and deer. Hopefully Nosler will make an AccuBond someday for the 6mm/243.

What you've set up will work. The .243 is usually pretty mild for recoil, so if your bride and her gun could shoot a good 95-100 gr bullets well up around 3000 fps, I'd crank it up. Maybe not now, but when she's ready to streach her legs, the extra velocity might help. 95br BT/100 gr Part around 3000, would be a couple of good loads. She would be good for mice to mulies, but I'd pick something bigger before heading out for elk or Moose.

Back