What s Your Favorite Nosler Hunting Bullet in .260?

Best Bullet for .260 Rifle 24" Barrel

• 120 gr. Ballistic Tip

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 125 gr. Partition

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well... I just got a .260 so I can't comment on either as I just got some of the Hornady 129's. I would lean to the 125 partitions for mulies. I will give them a try when I can find them. If they came out with the NAB in this, I would go that route. Since most remingtons have the 1/9 twist, they should go with a 120-130 grain bullet.

I will say the 120gr B-tip for now. They are phenominally accurate in my Browning A-bolt SS, and I have used them on large whitetails very effectively. However, when they post the annouoncement of a 110gr AccuBond in 6.5MM diameter, I am sure it will rule, providing the accuracy is there.

Why do you think it will be a 110? I was hoping for something heavier for game larger than deer and antelope? I see folks taking elk with the .260 but want more insurance than what is out there now.

I`ve never used a Nosler 6.5 caliber bullet on game but I have shot half a dozen or so with the 129 gr Hornady in my 260. :oops:
I would try the 125 gr partion but I`ve never even seen a box around my area. Same for the 100gr. I did find a box of the 100 Partitions at one time at a shop 200 mile from home and they shot very well. Lots of 140s and BTs just no lighter wgt partitions. I know the internet is full of mail order houses but the shipping on top of the price gets steep. I do shoot the 120 BT, and if Nosler made a AccuBond out of it I`d lean real heavily toward it. I do find the 120 BT to be very accurate and I shoot a lot of them at paper.
I`m more of a heavy bullet for caliber type though, and would prefer the 125 as a minimum weight for this cal.

I say 110gr, as it was a commonly asked for weight, as what AB Nosler should intro next. I do agerr that a 140 would be the ticket for elk though. As a rule, the 6.5's have a high sectional density, and awesome penetration qualities that are a result of that, provided the bullet stays intact, and retains wieght, and therefor, I believe the 110 would be good for anything up to elk.

I sort of agree with tsr that if and when Nosler introduces an AccuBond in 6.5, it will be in a weight less than 140 gr. The reason being that Accubonds tend to be slightly longer in length than same weight Ballistic Tips which are already long for weight in any given caliber, and Nosler will want to make sure that the new 6.5 Accubonds will stabilize in any reasonable 6.5 rifle's twist rate. My bet would be that the first 6.5 AccuBond will arrive in either a 120, 125 or 130 gr bullet weight. I would prefer the 130 to give Hornady's 129 gr SP some same weight competition, and still be able to be pushed at decent velocities in my 6.5x55.

I would like to see a 130-140gr. NAB.

You'd need a 130gr. as a min. for long range deer.

Swift (Scirrocco)and Barnes (TSX) already have 130gr. offerings in the works.

The 140gr. would be the min. I'd use on elk (since you mentioned hunting them). Norma and Lapua both have 156 or 158gr. bullets that would work even better on larger game.

If the 140gr. Accubonds had thick walls, they'd compete well with both those european mfgs.

The issue with the 140's is that with the .260 most have a 1/9 twist which favor lighter bullets. I agree that the 130 would be the ticket. :p

I have shot three deer with my m700 mtn rifle in 260 Remington. The first two fell to 140 gr. Nosler Partitions, and the last one was taken with a 140 gr. Sierra GameKing BTSP. I much prefer the 140 gr. Nosler Partition, holds together well.

I have loaded the 120 gr. Ballistic Tips but have never taken them hunting. I suspect they would be lights-out on broadside lung shots, but I am not too certain on their ability to break bone or penetrate bad angles if such is the case.

125 gr. Partition is my vote, although I have never even loaded them yet, but I do got a box on the bench. :wink:

My thought about the 6.5mm AB would be a 125 gr. with a BC around .490 :idea: should be just the ticket for medium sized game. there is always a 140 gr. Partition for elk or *gasp* a 130 gr. or 140 gr. Barnes X bullet.

my 1-9" m700 260 shoots the 140 gr. Partitions quite well 8)

I have shot a fair number of deer with the 6.5x55 [ballistic twin to the 260] and 125 Partitions, and have been nothing but satisfied with the results. I get right around 3000 with a good load of W760 and my 700 Classic will group them in ¾" or less at 100 meters. My son shot a Whitetail buck at 366 long paces with this combo, and the deer never moved from where he was standing. That's performance!! My 6.5x55 shoots the 120 Ballistic Tip very well, but like Todd, I am not certain about penetration from some angles, so would only take a broadside shot if I decided to try them. Regards, Eagleye.

I would try the 125 gr partion but I`ve never even seen a box around my area. Same for the 100gr. I did find a box of the 100 Partitions at one time at a shop 200 mile from home and they shot very well. Lots of 140s and BTs just no lighter wgt partitions. I know the internet is full of mail order houses but the shipping on top of the price gets steep.

What area in MI are you in? I might have to go see what the problem is :grin:

I'd vote for the 125 partitions.

I've used the 100's on 3 WT deer at varying ranges from 40 to 300 yards with great results. I'm working up 125 loads now for a hunt in Texas in December. I figure this load will be a bit more universally usefull.

Back