What say you?

beretzs":f5sqcyc2 said:
I have two that really fit the bill, my Marlin Guide Gun 45-70 is REALLY becoming a favorite for exactly that kind of hunting.
DSC03388.jpg

My other choice is my Browning BLR in 358 Win. Also another great carrying rifle that points perfectly for me.
DSC_0163.jpg

Scotty

Those would do! Nice rigs, Scotty.

You might want to take a close look at the 9.3x62.

Great cartridge. However, Fotis, if you haven't gotten rid of that .356, you already have just the rifle you need.

You're right Doc. But I have RADD in a bad way. Too bad something's gotta go to get something else.

I have RADD in a bad way.

Ah, and there ain't no cure 'cept to scratch where it itches. :mrgreen: My problem is that I have RADD just as badly as you, but I never divest myself of anything once I have acquired it. :shock:

DrMike":1hme0o0c said:

Ah, and there ain't no cure 'cept to scratch where it itches. :mrgreen: My problem is that I have RADD just as badly as you, but I never divest myself of anything once I have acquired it. :shock:

Same here, that 25-06 was the first rifle I have ever sold. Kinda disheartening, but I think the new one will be a better fit! Scotty

I grieve years later over rifles that left my safe, even when they didn't shoot all that well. I wouldn't have bought them if I wasn't attracted to them.

DrMike":gcgx8yzf said:

Me too. There are quite of few I need but 3 women and horses have kept me from getting them.

I really need a Nosler NCR!

JD338

Oh, yeah. I find myself "lusting" after this rifle. Chambering is immaterial. It would introduce a significant measure of marital disharmony in my home, however. I'm treading a fine line as it is.

I believe for all around big game I'd say my Mossberg 4x4 in 338 Win. 7 lbs with fluted 22 " barrel and Muzzle brake. the 673 Rem guide gun in 350 Rem 22" barrel would be close on it's heels. I may have to flip a coin the FPE is almost identical. For elk, moose or bear only the 450 Marlin XLR would take top billing.

JD338":2dd0sonp said:
DrMike":2dd0sonp said:

Me too. There are quite of few I need but 3 women and horses have kept me from getting them.

JD338

I've sold exactly two guns... a Dan Wesson .44 that would no longer shoot double action, and a Ruger Vaquero in .44-40 that I never shot. I do have visitation rights on the Ruger, though.

These big old chuggers will really make nice holes and leave little wasted meat with most critters at the 150 and in range. Mine are the .358 BLR with 200 grain silvertips and the model 94 30-30 from the old man. The 30-30 is a safe queen, but could be used in a pinch :lol:

No mention of the triple four, .444 marlin was my great uncles trapline/bear/moose gun. It went every where he did boat , grader (summer job) , trapline (winterjob) he loved it. I guess it would be like the 45-70 's little brother, still could kick some a$$ but livin in the shadow of it's sibling.

I may be dating myself a little bit, but even though I knew ballistically it was total BS, after reading the first book in The Executioner series (War Against the Mafia) I wanted a .444 Marlin.

POP":652obab7 said:
So you got all varminting situations covered.

All LR antelope, deer, elk, and moose covered again

What would you choose as a woods, up to 150 yards, for big game super wieldy rifle and caliber.

I am thinking 35 cal..................
......................................Bolt? Lever? .............

In a lever, the 45/70 Guide Gun would be an ideal "super wieldly" rifle for the woods. In a bolt action, the Ruger Frontier compact (based on my own Frontier hunting experience), chambered in either a 338 Federal or in the 358 Win would certainly get my vote as the best "super wieldy" bolt action rifle for the woods.

Along with using a conventional scope, the Frontiers also give you that scout scope option, which to my knowledge, no other rifle offers. Aside from the normal scout scopes mounted In the scout position, you can also use a wide variety of red dot sites as well making the Ruger compact all the more quicker.

In a bolt action, you aren`t going to find a faster to the target, faster aiming, a faster shouldering, or a better carrying, handling "handier" rifle than these smaller, extremely durable and very powerful Rugers.

Very accurate too.

POP":cvcsj2ul said:
So you got all varminting situations covered.

All LR antelope, deer, elk, and moose covered again

What would you choose as a woods, up to 150 yards, for big game super wieldy rifle and caliber.

I am thinking 35 cal..................

Up to 150 yards I don't think I could leave my Marlin 336 in 35Rem behind. If I had one I would go with a Marlin guide gun in 45/70 though. :)

ls1cwby":1ne7pqz6 said:
Why not a Nosler Legacy in 35 Whelen?

That would be a great pick.
The 35 Whelen is a hammer!

JD338

ls1cwby":2ey0u3yj said:
Why not a Nosler Legacy in 35 Whelen?

Why not a Porsche instead of a Chevy?

$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly, and dragging a Legacy through the brush almost brings a tear to my eye, but the Guide Gun! Made for that and handles it is stride! I do think the Whelen in the Legacy is going to make someone a really happy man. Wished there was a piece of info in the boxes for new owners to look on here, I would like to see one. Scotty

Back