What To Take

Roger the guys have gave great advise. I really like to keep a bunch of scent free butt wipes in my pack in addition to the toilet paper. I keep the TP in a zilock bag as well as the bottom wipes. I use the heavy duty quart bags for bottom wipes and same for TP. It really comes in handy to keep a guy fresh! Also nice to use the wipes to clean hands and knives when finished dressing animal.

As you are staying in cabins and weight isn't a problem I'd think about taking a PEET boot dryer also. Sure nice to get the sweat and moisture out of your boots so they are nice and dry in the morning. I'd take a good pair of solid built leather boots and a pair of pack boots in case it's winter conditions. I use Schnee's Hunter II's AND really like them. Not sure about you but my hands are always hot and I don't wear gloves unless it's really cold. My hands sweat a lot so my gloves get wet even if they aren't subjected to snow and rain. I like to have two or three pairs of gloves that way I can change them out and give the others a chance to dry out at camp.

Make sure you bring extra ammo. If you guys are driving up and not flying, I'd take an extra rifle that was also sighted in. I've done that here in Montana for example going over to where I hunt antelope, deer, and elk when I can draw in central Montana. I might be 350 - 400 miles from home. Nice to have an extra just in case.

Elkman had some great ideas for carrying in the pack. I agree with what he suggested. Fire starter and extra fire starter, and lighters (2 or more), and a striker type of fire starter also. I suggested the treking poles and those sure can come in handy for keeping your balance when hiking and help prevent taking spills. It really saves on the legs. I never go anyplace without my headlamp and a small flashlight with extra batteries for them. Really help for those walks in or out in the dark!

Besides your phone for pictures I really suggest a small quality digital camera. You can take both pictures and video with them and the picture quality is excellent. It's really nice to have those pictures later on for memories of the trip. I now it seems a pain to take them but they sure are nice later on!

Keep a good attitude and really enjoy your experience. I sure wish you the best. Make sure you drink lots of water so you don't get dehydrated. I know from experience that you can really get some cramps if you don't keep up on the fluids. I've had them so bad a couple times I couldn't even walk for a few minutes and had to just sit down and relax. Keep some advil or aleve something along those lines to take at night as I've found that helps too. Every night in camp really concentrate on making sure you get some fluids in your body. I've found it really helps me out a lot.

You have to wear hunters orange in Montana. I like to wear one of the soft fleece types of black and orange camo vests. I don't wear any more orange than I have too. Yes other hunters need to see us and it makes sense to wear it, but I don't wear any more than I have to.

Best of luck to you guys.

Had to add a couple more Roger. I really like wool and I wear a light wool jacket and wool pants when it's cold and snowy. I also typically wear a lighter weight wool shirt. Of course you have to wear something underneath it, and I like a light weight wicking type of material and longjohn.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I appreciate all the responses.
You guys and young Lady have been very helpful.

Good advice here! What I don't think I read was some help in the regularity dept, whether runny or plugged up! I always have some hard braid nylon rope, not parachute cord. Antibiotic ointment. Eyedrops. Lens cleaner solution and cloths. Muzzle covering tape, balloon, or whatever. Boresnake. Boot laces. At least one extra headlamp. A heavy needle and thread and a couple big diaper pins. Extra readers or prescription glasses if you use them. Super glue. I may think of more, and apologies if some of these are repeats from previous posts.
EE2

I scanned packing lists I have used over the years . these are PDF's and the forum won't allow me to post them . if anyone wants to see them PM me your email address and I'll send them to you .

fellas , keep the tips coming for Rodger . just because I sent him my list doesn't mean your list or ideas are not important .

one more thing I thought of , about all my things run on "AA" batteries . the only thing I can think of that doesn't is my rangefinder . by having most things use one size battery it easy to carry a few spares or I have even taken the batteries out of a flashlight to use in my GPS .

A small roll of black electricians tape for covering you muzzle of your rifle. Even in nice conditions it's nice to keep dust and dirt out of the muzzle. I know it seems like I can somehow find a mudpuddle or dirt bank in some fashion or another and the muzzle seems to be like a magnet drawn to it!

6mm Remington":22d3t2md said:
A small roll of black electricians tape for covering you muzzle of your rifle. Even in nice conditions it's nice to keep dust and dirt out of the muzzle. I know it seems like I can somehow find a mudpuddle or dirt bank in some fashion or another and the muzzle seems to be like a magnet drawn to it!
My 338 is stainless, do they make the tape in silver color :?: :roll: :lol: :lol: :grin:
Yeah I'm pulling your leg thanks for the suggestion.

6mm Remington":3cfr3w0b said:

The wide stuff is my favorite.

Boots.

An extra pair. :lol:

It's been mentioned, but it bears repeating..Pain killer & anti-inflammatory...Nothing ruins a hunt faster than a toothache, earache, headache, twisted ankle, etc..I'm far from an expert on that location and type of hunting, but I know pain!

One of the things that really cut down on the weight I carried is a Life Straw. It's a water filtration system, simply stick the straw in and take a drink. I hydrate every time I cross a creek and no longer start the day carrying a gallon.
I pop an ibuprofen every night, preventative medicine.
Not only does the electricians tape protect your muzzle it's great for affixing tag to antler.
My daypack weighs 15 pounds with water, binoculars and essential gear.
If you're heavier then that you're probably over thinking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the things that really cut down on the weight I carried is a Life Straw. It's a water filtration system, simply stick the straw in and take a drink. I hydrate every time I cross a creek and no longer start the day carrying a gallon.
I pop an ibuprofen every night, preventative medicine.
Not only does the electricians tape protect your muzzle it's great for affixing tag to antler.

salmonchaser":r67pnhyz said:

I am definitely overthinking it---but I like your style and might just buy you a airline ticket and let you come up and show my how to pack

AND---to fish, Been following your fishing thread. Your an excellent guide, Both at finding fish for your clients and nice fish, but you a master at keeping the bears and clients separated and in your spare time you teach gymnastics---I saw the hand stand

Thankful Otter":2da6v1vf said:
salmonchaser":2da6v1vf said:

I am definitely overthinking it---but I like your style and might just buy you a airline ticket and let you come up and show my how to pack

AND---to fish, Been following your fishing thread. Your an excellent guide, Both at finding fish for your clients and nice fish, but you a master at keeping the bears and clients separated and in your spare time you teach gymnastics---I saw the hand stand
[emoji41]A man of many talents "Otter" not the least of which is getting young women's attention[emoji56]

Back