What was the first chambering you reloaded?

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
The gear thread go me thinking about what the first shell you reloaded was for. Myself, it was a .30-06 for my dad's '03A3 Springfield, probably a 150gr. Speer SP and IMM4350 with a Lee Loader.

Easy, it was my 303 brittish, wanted to play, make shooting cheaper, now I spend more because I experiment more. shoot way more than before. :roll:

.44 mag. Learned from day one that it was the only way I could afford to shoot it. :mrgreen:

I can remeber being about 7 or 8 pulling and turning an old MEC loading activ hulls for dad shooting trap.

As for metallic it was actually 300 RUM. Not sure why it took me so long I guess I was intimidated by it all. Now I roll all my own,

I started handloading when I was 15 yrs old, started out with the 30-06.

JD338

I started with the .44 magnum, do ya feel lucky? Well do ya.......PUNK? lol, yeah can you guess what gun I had?
First rifle I loaded for was 30-06.

For my first rifle I researched calibers and chose 308 Winchester as it seemed to have a reputation for accuracy. A friend who works at a pawn shop fixed me up with a used Lyman turret press and accessories that someone had sold there. I started using IMR4064 and Sierra 168 Matchkings.

Ron

356 Winchester, using Speer 220 grain FN bullets and IMR4895. The cases were prepped and the cartridges were loaded using a Lee Hand Press Kit. It produced good ammunition--good enough for bear and deer.

I started out at 14-15 tears old with my brand new M70 7mm Rem Mag. I had one box of factory ammo put through it till I had 20 empty cases. Got a pound of H870, CCI250's, and some 140gr Nosler Partitions. Man I shot alot of woodchucks, deer, coyotes, targets and about anything else with that rifle and load. It was ultra accurate and looking at load data today it was probably pretty fast! Scotty

Shotgun was first, then my 1956, 721 Remington, 3006 which I still have. Loaded military surplus powder with 150 and 180 gr bullets.

Started out with 148gr lead DEWC's over 2.5gr of Hodgdon Clays in 38Spl cases for my 357Mag. Turned out to be a very accurate load, and one I still use for targets and plinking today. First rifle was my Win94 30-30WCF. I started out loading on a friend's setup in college, and saved up for my own over the next year.

I helped my dad reoad for several years for his 270 win, and 22-250. The first ones I made myself were for my moms .243 Win. M70 FW. If I remember right they were 100 gr. speers. Shot them all summer then turned 12 and took my first buck with them.

That little .243 took a lot of deer over the next three years!

My dad taught me a few tricks with the 30-06 as a teenager and I began loading on my own a few years ago with the 204 Ruger soon after it came out in 2004. I'm currently loading for 22 hornet, 22-250, 25-06, 7mm08, 7mm rem mag, 308, and 44 mag. I have also loaded for 6br, 223, 243, 243 ai, 270, 30-06, 300 saum, and 7 wsm. So, guess I've probably been having too much fun the last 7 years.

I started loading 20ga on a MEC loader when I was sitting on my dad's lap.
I took him to school in first grade for show and tell. Dad brought the MEC loader and some components. No powder though . He also talked to the class about gun safety.
Those were the good old days.
My brother taught me to hand load for the 243 when I was twelve.

when i was 16 i won a 7mm rem. mag. When i saw the price of shells i bought a set of dies and used my uncles outfit. Never bought factory shells again.

Back