What's My Problem?

Jay

Beginner
Nov 21, 2004
I have been trying to load some Nosler 55Gr. Spitzers for my .22-250.
I have set up the dies as per the instructions, but when it's all said and done I can push the bullet into the case. I have loaded some other brands and they haven't done this. All bullets have measured the same.
Is it normal to be able to push the bullet into the case?

Sounds like you don't have enough neck tension. Are you useing a collet type die.

What is your overall length of the cartridge? Also check your type of die. You shouldn't be able to easily push any bullet into the case.

Jay":25i5tq4e said:
I have been trying to load some Nosler 55Gr. Spitzers for my .22-250.
I have set up the dies as per the instructions, but when it's all said and done I can push the bullet into the case. I have loaded some other brands and they haven't done this. All bullets have measured the same.
Is it normal to be able to push the bullet into the case?

My guess is that you are seating the bullets too deep in the case, past the ogive. Try seating out for a longer COL, making sure that the bullet is not touching the lands. Doing so will most likely give you better accuracy as well.

Good luck.

JD338

I have RCBS full length in a two die set. I have been seating all bullets Iv'e loaded at 2.350" COL, that's what is listed in my reloading manual. The way I understand it no crimp of any kind is needed for this case. I am going to follow the instructions and see what the COL for this gun really needs to be. Thanks for the ideas.

Jay":222meinn said:
I have RCBS full length in a two die set. I have been seating all bullets Iv'e loaded at 2.350" COL, that's what is listed in my reloading manual. The way I understand it no crimp of any kind is needed for this case. I am going to follow the instructions and see what the COL for this gun really needs to be. Thanks for the ideas.

Jay,

I noticed that Winchester Supreme factory 40 gr BT COL is 2.342". I load the 50 gr BT to a COL of 2.430" and have never had any problems.
I use 36.0 grs of Varget and Fed GM210M primers in a W-W case and get sub .5" groups at 100 yds. I shoot a M700 VLS.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

JD338

Two thoughts.
Have you turned your case necks by chanch? You may have over did it and the brass is too thin to size properly.
Have you measured the expander ball on your die? It should be ~ /<.002" smaller than the bullet diameter, if not contact the manufacture for a replacement.

Hope I`ve helped...........................

Jay, don't bother sending your dies back or bother calling the MFR..you got a drill at home?? Take out your expander ball and de-priming stem. GENTLY !!!!! Chuck this into your drill and get some 400 grit emory paper and spin all hell out of the shaft and hold the emory paper to the expander ball and only do it for 10 seconds at a time. Then after each run, measure the ball, then using a once fired case, or a new one, size it and just seat a bullet on there to the depth you are using. This depth is fine for your caliber. You'll know when it "feels" about right..if nothing else, if you foul it up, RCBS will give you a new one anyway...this way you aren't waiting 2 weeks to load, just do it yourself and press on. I just did this to my 35 Whelen dies and it worked great. It's a shame the magazines don't ever do how-to articles like this anymore...

If your expander ball is not the correct dimensions that will pose a problem. If you find this to be true, please contact the manufacturer. They need to know about any potential problems they might have with equipment.

Back