Whats the deal with Remington?

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
I have heard alot of people talking about their accuracy has really gone down hill. What is going on with them? Every remington rifle I have owned has always been really accurate. I was thinking about getting a new CDL SF in a .257 Wby Mag. Would that not be a wise choice right now?

Every Remington I have owned, M700's in several calibers and a M742 Carbine 30-06 have shot under MOA with my hand loads. I haven't bought a new one in a couple years so I guess I can't speak to the current situation.

One other point, the M700 action is an excellent action for a gun smith to work on. Something to keep in mind if you can't get the performance you are seeking with a factory gun.

JD338

Remington can still make a good firearm, and no doubt the CDL SF 257 Wby is a great rifle. However, after Cerebus Capital Management added Remington to its portfolio in 2007, the firearms manufacturer has operated under new management that is not strictly firearms focused. In fairness, they are part of the Freedom Group (including Marlin, H & R, New England Firearms, Panther, Parker, L. C. Smith, Bushmaster, EOTAC and Barnes), which is the firearms division of Cerebus. Several posters have commented on the noticeable loss of quality control in some of the Remington rifles manufactured in recent years. Trust this helps.

I would get that 257WBY in a CDL SF in half a heart beat if could afford it right now. The CDL's are very nice, I have one in a Whelen and it is a great looking rifle. I don't think their upper end rifles have slipped but their lower, budget priced rifles are a little less in the worksmanship department. My hunting partner just got a 870 Turkey Special and it seems to be pretty decent for a budget priced gun though. I like Rem shotguns and rifles, hopefully the QC picks back up. They have a good rep with a lot of shooters. Scotty

I've purchased a couple of Remington 700's in the last couple of years.
Definately not what they used to be, but with that said, one of them is a SPS model in the .257 Bee - It's not apealing to look at, but it does shoot under an inch right out of the box.

As JD stated - The 700 Action is easily worked on by about any Smith.

I have had a string of them lately that shot like crap. However my CDL 300 RUM shoots great.

I had a CDL 270 WSM ad my bro has a 300 WSM SPS and both of them dont shoot that great. The ok laods taht we did find took alot of work to find them. I sold the 270 WSM. It was a very fine looking rifle for sure!

Back