What's your choice of barrel and why

GB300wm

Handloader
Jan 2, 2005
I'm thinking of building a 30 cal long range rifle on a sako action and I'm asking for your barrel manufacturer preference and caliber and why. I like a 300 win mag and a krieger cut rifle barrel 27.5" long. :grin: :grin:

I use Hart ,Krieger, or Shilen . Which ever i find that has the right contour and twist.

GB300wm

I have a Hart barrel on my 280 AI. My gunsmith, Rob Canze of Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI swears by Heart because they have the most consistent
bore diameter through out the length of the barrel.
Rob has also built rifles for a couple of my friends and they too have had exceptional accuracy.

JD338

GB, Any premium barrel will do. It all boils down to the skill of your rifle smith. I have Douglas, Shilen, Pac-Nor. Broughton, K&P. Obermeyer, Lothar Walther and Crieterion by Krieger. They all shoot good. My smith told me that the methods of rifling doesn't matter either. Get the one that is available without the wait.

I spread my barrels out. Right now I'm on 5mos waiting for the Kreiger 5r barrel for the 300WSM and gunsmith has appr 11 Kreigers on order.

I've had more 30 cal mag build using Lilja 3 groove 10 or 11 twist barrels and I'm about ready to order one from Dan for the 300WSM but I still get the Kreiger use it for something else.

I'm not sure you looked at Kreiger site but for contour #4 thru # 10 finished length is 26" there real picky about miuzzle dia in that you have enough barrel around bore/groove dia.

Bartlein and Rock are about 1 yr out on barrels and gunsmith has had order in at Obermeyer 2yrs now for one of his barrels.

My gunsmith prefer Kreiger barrels if you ask him but he order anything you want.

What I've always done is first look at bullet or bullets I want to shoot then try and figure out what barrel to use. I like some of the 5r/5c and Shilen ratchet rifling they seem to give alittle better velocity in the rifles I've used them in.

I've had afew 300mag build good caliber.

Thanks for the response guys. I've heard stories of just how hard it is to get a barrel right now. I may just order my barrel now and have it when I get the work done at a later date. You guys have maybe changed my mind on barrel manufacturer though based on your experience. I'm even leaning toward a 7mm rem mag, one of my favorites and I can have the chamber and throat cut to shoot certain bullets on either caliber I choose. I just have the benchrest dies for the 300 right now.
Thanks again for the suggestions. :grin:

GB300wm

What brand barrel are you leaning towards? :grin: What contour and length?

JD338

JD, I'm actually leaning towards a Hart or Lilja. I have friends that have experience with these and they are shooters. I have experience with Shilen, but I've heard that their quality is hit and miss somewhat these days. You also have a Hart shooter. I'm looking into a 1-11" 30 cal about 27.5" long finished in a #7 or #8 contour. If I go with a 7mm, I'm not sure what twist rate for a 168 match bullet yet. I would think about a 1-9.5 but I will have to do a little more research. I am leaning towards a mcmillan stock too. Maybe an a-3 or an a-5. :grin:

Go with Lilja or Krieger and the order I put them in is not important, either barrel. :)

Lilja is one of my serious considerations. I've had two guns with Lilja barrels and they were fast and accurate. Very smooth bores. I'm just wondering on delivery times for any of them. I'll be making some contacts soon to find out. This project will take me a while because I'm going to piece it together slowly and I want to do it right the first time. :grin: :grin:

GB300wm":3fvel05e said:
Lilja is one of my serious considerations. I've had two guns with Lilja barrels and they were fast and accurate. Very smooth bores. I'm just wondering on delivery times for any of them. I'll be making some contacts soon to find out. This project will take me a while because I'm going to piece it together slowly and I want to do it right the first time. :grin: :grin:

Jerry, knowing you as I do, when you finish it will be right. :)

I used to be a strong proponent of Krieger barrels, and I'll still likely order a Krieger for my next barrel. Also had a Hart that shot very well.

That said, when I look up and down the firing line at a long range match, I find that winning accuracy is more a matter of shooter skill than on which particular barrel is in use.

When we get all wrapped up with the match and stand around shooting the breeze before leaving I'll find one guy is running a Hart, another a Lilja, the odd Pac Nor barrel shows up time to time, Shilen and others too. After seeing a whole row of shooters bang away all day at 600 yards, with the top five separated by only a couple of points and X-count - I just don't see much accuracy difference between the various makers.

Still, I'll likely stick with Krieger and their cut-rifled barrels. They've provided outstanding accuracy, very low degree of jacket fouling, and the accuracy tends to die slowly instead of abruptly. 5500 - 6000 rounds is normal barrel life for my .308 Win Krieger barrels.

FWIW, Guy

Thanks Guy. I really appreciate the input from you guys on the front lines. I really have no experience with target rifles. My experience and knowledge comes from years of silhouette shooting with a handgun, XP-100's. These handguns are as accurate as they come, but are not rifles. Thanks for the help from all you rifle shooters. Your input is really helpful in my decision making. :grin: :grin:

One worth mentioning is the Brux (brooks) barrels, made by two older duffers with long time ties to Kreiger. Go to their site and they even use the Kreiger contour chart (LOL). Great guys to talk to, but there is just the two of them and I heard they are now out to 12 weeks. These barrels have become a serious contender and are getting great reviews..

I just my first one installed and am in process of breaking it in. Got a 27" #5 with interupted fluting and am very, very happy with it...

Other than that I have only used shilen and kreiger, Nothing wrong with my shilen, but my kriegers took all but 10 minutes to dial in on the lathe and clean up effortlessly.. And so far this Brux is following the same path..

Rod

nodak7mm, Your right about Brux barrels but you can add Benchmark,Schneider,Chanlynn,Spencer and Gaillard up in Canada that makes good barrels. I was out the range the other day guy had a Van Horn barrel shot pretty good.

I was reading article about how many barrel makers up in Wisconsin from the guys that Obermeyer started then Kreiger like Bartlein,Rock,Brux so five of the best in that state.

Back