Where the .223/5.56 is legal for big game...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Where it's legal for big game hunting, what magazine restrictions does your state have?

Are you able to use the 20 shot mags? Likely not I'm guessing. Can you get 5-shot mags for AR-15's?

Guy

The .224 cals are illegal for big game here in MI

JD338

Pretty sure it's legal in California. Don't quote me on that though. I'm pretty sure the hunting laws here were written in a such a confusing way just to discourage people from doing it.

Legal in Minnesota. No idea about MAG Limits and no intention of finding out. Guess you know how I feel about the .223 for big game. CL

Legal for deer, speed goats, and black bear, in Oregon. Bighorns, Mt. goats, and elk are .243 or larger.

Five round mag limit. No FMJ/Millitary ammo.

Here is a pretty good list I found awhile back from 2008. Some of the states aren't correct anymore, like Wyoming as Fotis stated. Most states have a five round restriction on semi-auto magazines.

Alabama- centerfire
Alaska- centerfire
Alberta- .23 and up centerfire
Arizona- centerfire
Arkansas- .22 and up centerfire
California- centerfire
Colorado- .24 and up, 70grn or larger bullet/ minimum of 1000ft/lbs at 100 yards
Connecticut- .243 and up if legal in your area
Delaware- shotgun/muzzle loader
Florida- centerfire
Georgia- .22 and up centerfire
Hawaii- Any rifle with at least 1200 ft/lbs of ME. This would start at around .223 I think
Idaho- Centerfire (cannot weigh more than 16 lbs?)
Illinois- Shotgun/ML/Pistol onlyIndiana- Rifles with pistol calibers/shotgun/ML/Pistols
Iowa- .24 or larger centerfire only for antlerless season in part of the state.
Kansas- .23 or larger centerfire (actually says larger than .23 so maybe .24 is the mininum)
Kentucky- centerfire
Louisiana- .22 and up centerfire
Maine- .22 magnum rimfire and up!
Manitoba- Centerfire, but it says .23 and below not recommended. Does not say illegal though.
Maryland- ME of at least 1200 ft/lbs
Mass- Shotgun/ML
Michigan- centerfire in certain areas
Minnesota- .24 and up centerfire
Mississippi- No restrictions that I could find
Missouri- centerfire
Montana- No restrictions
Nebraska- Rifles with 900 ft/lbs or more at 100 yards
Nevada- .22 centerfire and up
New Hampshire- centerfire
New Jersey- shotgun only
New Mexico- centerfire
New York- centerfire
North Carolina- No restrictions
North Dakota- .22-.49 centerfire
Nova Scotia- .23 and up
Ohio- Shotgun/ML
Oklahoma- centerfire with 55 grn or heavier bullet
Ontario- centerfire
Oregon- .22 centerfire and upPennsylvania- centerfire
Quebec- 6mm/.243 and up
Rhode Island- shotgun/ML*
Saskatchewan- .24 and up
South Carolina- centerfire
South Dakota- rifles with 1,000 ft/lbs or more ME
Tennessee- centerfire
Texas- centerfire
Utah- centerfire
Vermont- No restriction
Virginia- .23 centerfire and up
Washington- .24 centerfire and up
West Virginia- .25 rimfire and up and all centerfire
Wisconsin- .22 centerfire and up
Wyoming- .23 centerfire and up

There is nothing in the montana regulations that mentions anything about magazine capacity. Under firearms it states: there is no rifle or handgun caliber limitation for the taking of big game. I could not find anything else pertaining to firearm restrictions. In other words a 10,20,30 or 100 round would be legal. Hence the no restrictions listed above.

taylorce1":d3kydq40 said:
Here is a pretty good list I found awhile back from 2008. Some of the states aren't correct anymore, like Wyoming as Fotis stated. Most states have a five round restriction on semi-auto magazines.

Alabama- centerfire
Alaska- centerfire
Alberta- .23 and up centerfire
Arizona- centerfire
Arkansas- .22 and up centerfire
California- centerfire
Colorado- .24 and up, 70grn or larger bullet/ minimum of 1000ft/lbs at 100 yards
Connecticut- .243 and up if legal in your area
Delaware- shotgun/muzzle loader
Florida- centerfire
Georgia- .22 and up centerfire
Hawaii- Any rifle with at least 1200 ft/lbs of ME. This would start at around .223 I think
Idaho- Centerfire (cannot weigh more than 16 lbs?)
Illinois- Shotgun/ML/Pistol onlyIndiana- Rifles with pistol calibers/shotgun/ML/Pistols
Iowa- .24 or larger centerfire only for antlerless season in part of the state.
Kansas- .23 or larger centerfire (actually says larger than .23 so maybe .24 is the mininum)
Kentucky- centerfire
Louisiana- .22 and up centerfire
Maine- .22 magnum rimfire and up!
Manitoba- Centerfire, but it says .23 and below not recommended. Does not say illegal though.
Maryland- ME of at least 1200 ft/lbs
Mass- Shotgun/ML
Michigan- centerfire in certain areas
Minnesota- .24 and up centerfire
Mississippi- No restrictions that I could find
Missouri- centerfire
Montana- No restrictions
Nebraska- Rifles with 900 ft/lbs or more at 100 yards
Nevada- .22 centerfire and up
New Hampshire- centerfire
New Jersey- shotgun only
New Mexico- centerfire
New York- centerfire
North Carolina- No restrictions
North Dakota- .22-.49 centerfire
Nova Scotia- .23 and up
Ohio- Shotgun/ML
Oklahoma- centerfire with 55 grn or heavier bullet
Ontario- centerfire
Oregon- .22 centerfire and upPennsylvania- centerfire
Quebec- 6mm/.243 and up
Rhode Island- shotgun/ML*
Saskatchewan- .24 and up
South Carolina- centerfire
South Dakota- rifles with 1,000 ft/lbs or more ME
Tennessee- centerfire
Texas- centerfire
Utah- centerfire
Vermont- No restriction
Virginia- .23 centerfire and up
Washington- .24 centerfire and up
West Virginia- .25 rimfire and up and all centerfire
Wisconsin- .22 centerfire and up
Wyoming- .23 centerfire and up

Minnesota changed their regs in 2011 to .22 centerfire ignition and larger. This is a nice list but make sure you check CURRENT regs in the state you want to hunt.

Thanks for the list taylorce1.

I enjoyed fine results on a deer hunt with a .223 WSSM a few years ago and would not hesitate to use one again on deer size game with the proper bullets and of course the most important factor is good shot placement.

I am unaware of mag limits in either MN or WI.

usmc 89":1izq9kzr said:
There is nothing in the montana regulations that mentions anything about magazine capacity. Under firearms it states: there is no rifle or handgun caliber limitation for the taking of big game. I could not find anything else pertaining to firearm restrictions. In other words a 10,20,30 or 100 round would be legal. Hence the no restrictions listed above.

I apologize for the misinformation. Learn something new everyday.

2013 Montana Hunting Regulations Deer - Elk - Antelope

Firearms - During the general season:
* There is no rifle or handgun caliber limitation for the taking of big game animals.
* Muzzleloaders, shotguns, archery equipment, and crossbows are legal.
* The possession of firearms with silencers while afield is illegal.

Muzzleloaders and archery equipment each have additional restrictions.

You cannot hunt or attempt to hunt with an artificial light or night vision equipment.

I could not locate a magazine round limit restriction or a limitation on lighted reticles in scopes. It used to be that a lighted reticle of any sort and removable magazines having more than 5 rounds were illegal. Apparently no longer. Lighted reticles on bowsights and trail cameras remain illegal. BT

FOTIS":2pz8qna2 said:
on antelope here starting 2013

And deer with at least a 60gr bullet. I see nothing limiting magazines at all.

This from the WY G&F website.

For the taking of antelope, deer, mountain lion, or gray wolf where designated as a trophy game animal, a hunter shall use:
Any center-fire firearm of at least .22 caliber and having a bullet weight of at least sixty (60) grains and firing a cartridge at least two (2) inches in overall length, or any other cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half (1.5) inches in overall length, or a cartridge that generally delivers at least five hundred (500) foot pounds of impact at one hundred (100) yards; and using a lead or expanding point bullet;

In regards to the trail camera being illegal, i think you can employ a trail camera legally before and after the big game season. Using a trail camera during the big game season is illegal.

usmc 89":20bwg0g4 said:
In regards to the trail camera being illegal, i think you can employ a trail camera legally before and after the big game season. Using a trail camera during the big game season is illegal.

As an interesting side-note, the Forest Service and Montana FWP are using trail cameras to catch off-roaders who travel on closed trails. The cameras send the offender images via cell towers to a central office, and in theory, the LEO will greet them at the trailhead. I know of a couple of dirtbikers who have been pinched this way.

The effort by the environmental wing in the FWP to close all public lands to motorized traffic causes me to side with the off-roaders most times.... :wink:

Back