Which brass do you use?

G

What has been your experience with brass put out by different manufacturers and which do you use? My concern is with consistency of quality, weight and dimensions from lot to lot.

varmint.... lapua
big game.... whatever shoots well in your rifle. Kill zones aren't as critical.
You could fire factory ammo to use the brass. factory brass is more consistant than bulk brass, unless you buy good quality brass like lapua.
But here.. probobly Nosler brass will be enchouraged.

I prefer W-W but am limited to R-P for a few calibers. I have only used Nosler brass in my 280 AI.

JD338

JD338 & longranger, Thanks for your input. Available brass for my 260 is Norma, R-P & Nosler. Recent experience with Nosler hasn't been good.

I am also intersted in experience and opinions of others with 270, 300 WM, 7 Mag, 22-250 and 7-08.

Thanks for input.

Most bench shooters swear by Lapua. It's very good stuff.

By first choice is Winchester brass. It's the thinnest of the major makers, which makes it a good mix for my loading style. It holds a little more powder for those loads of slow powder in long barrels. In addition, since a thinner brass produces lower pressure, it helps build in an extra margin a safety.

I've also had good luck with Remington brass.

I've had poor luck with Federal brass. It's terrible to weight sort, the necks are soft and don't trim very well, and I've had some inconsistant primer pockets....not my favorite brass.

Lapua in my to be 6BR and in my almost finished 6.5/06.

WW is preferred for rest.

LongRanger, gotta ask why you say factory ammo brass is more consistant than bulk? I would think it is all outta the same "lot" weather its factory loaded or bulk. Just curious if I am missing out on something here.. Thanks

Rod

Norma, Nosler, Winchester, PMC, Remington-Peters in that order, depending on availability. I've only used Lapua for a 338 Lapua. If I find some for my 30-06, I might buy it, but I have Nosler brass which obviates the immediate need.

I've used Remington, W-W, Federal, and Hornady. I've also used CCI and Starline in pistols. I've never been able to tell a lick of difference in them. Bulk Remington brass has always been very rough and requires more prep than any other brand. I guess if I had a preference it would be W-W in rifles and Starline in pistols. I also like to use nickle cases in my hunting loads.

I currently am using
R-P in my 30-06AI, 30-06, 270 win, and in my 280.
W-W in my son's 7mm mag.
Norma, also in my 280.
Federal, also in my 270
Nosler in my Nosler 280ai.

The W-W brass out of the bag needs lots of work. Sized trimmed and champhered.
The R-P brass comes from factory loaded cartridges and needs the typical trimming and champhering. It
Federal brass is the same as the R-P brass.
Norma brass was expensive and I haven't loaded it enough times to accurately compare it to anything else. Out of the box it was consistent.
Nosler brass has been great. I have loaded one of my batches 12 times. The primer pockets are still tight and I have only trimmed twice.

I don't turn my case necks although I do check neck wall thickness and I don't wieght sort my brass. I guess I could start weight sorting and maybe my groups will shrink another .25.

What is interesting is that I don't weight sort my brass either. You fellas have seen some of the groups I have shot too. The only exception is the Nosler 280 AI brass that comes weight sorted. Shot my best group with it too, .092" c/c.

JD338

WW bulk brass - size, trim and then chamfer is my most used.
Used Rem in a 260 with good luck.
Tried once fired brass in a 243 and it did not go well.

nodak7mm":3pzqgn9d said:
Lapua in my to be 6BR and in my almost finished 6.5/06.

WW is preferred for rest.

LongRanger, gotta ask why you say factory ammo brass is more consistant than bulk? I would think it is all outta the same "lot" weather its factory loaded or bulk. Just curious if I am missing out on something here.. Thanks

Rod

Bulk premium brass is ok.. but not rem. win. or fed. I bought remington
one time andthey had bent case mouths, off center flashholes. How much
do you shoot? If not much.. then scarf up brass at your range from other
"just hunters". I do.

Longranger, bent casemouths usually happen during shipping. Just run then through your sizer and they will be fine. :wink:

Yeah. I know. But the other reasons are why I don't use bulk.
The main one is I can get fired factory ammo brass from folk who don't load,.. so why buy bulk?

I do both.

One of the big advantages of bulk brass is I can match lot numbers. This way I know it all came off the same machine on the same day. If you are just trying to shoot under an inch, it's not that big a deal. But once you decide to squeeze every last bit out of your ammunition, it's just one more thing that can only help.

For the calibers I reload for Lapua is always 1st choice. Since I have it for 30-06 and 308 I can use it for those calibers plus resize for 7m-08 and 280. Next is Winchester as I have had real good luck with it.

Long

Back