Which Handgun

hardpan

Handloader
Apr 16, 2007
All, I own a target .22 and a 44 mag revolver. I am looking to get a .40 in either glock or Sig. So, at the risk of starting a range war, what do you all prefer and why? I lean very slightly towards the glock based on warranty and it is around $50-100 less around here.

THis gun is for defense... My defense.

thanks in advance.,
Hardpan.

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I would choose the GLOCK. Yes I know they are BUTT UGLY, but they work.

I carry a handgun every day, either concealed or in plain view, and have for many, many years. An even more important consideration than the individual handgun is the HOLSTER. If you handgun is to be carried concealed the proper holster is a must. By proper holster I mean one that not only conceals the handgun properly, but also one that is COMFORTABLE. If you choosen holster is not comfortable and does not conceal the handgun as desired then you won't carry it (ie won't have it if and when you need it).

The main reason I recommend the GLOCK is simplicity. These guns are so simple anyone can become proficient with them. In my experience they are also quite simple to field strip and maintain.

Back in 2000 I attended the Firearms Course at the South Dakota Law Enforcement Training Center in Pierre South Dakota. In the group I was in (like 36 Officers) there were about 8 or 9 Officers NOT carrying a GLOCK. Each Officer shot roughly 1000 rounds of ammo over the course of the week and of all the Officers shooting GLOCKS I never saw a single malfunction or stoppage. The guns were cleaned once a day and the condistions were Hot & Dusty on the South Dakota Prairie.

I have a buddy that carries a Springfield XD. He first carried a .40 S&W, but eventually traded it for a .45 ACP version. I have been with him when he has shot thousands of rounds through both of those XD's and have never seen his XD's hickup once. He much prefers the feel of the grip frame of the Springfield XD to that of the GLOCK (to each their own I guess).

To be honest there are a lot of really good self defense handguns on the market today. Probably the best advise I can offer is to tell you to go to your favorite gun emporium and handle as many different makes and models as you can, shoot them if possible (if there is access to a Range that rents Guns) and BUY THE ONE THAT FEELS THE BEST IN YOUR HANDS.

Good luck

Larry

I do not like Blocks but they are great guns!

I prefer the Sigs....They also fit me better.

I like my Sig 228. I have about 5-6k rounds through it. Never a problem.
I had an EA witness in .38 super that used to jam....hated it....but the Sig always does it job.

Love my Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP.

JD338

I took the advice in 2 areas. I went and held and shot about 20 different handguns. I bought a Sig (polymer) based on feel/comfort. Now, I need to figure out the holster...
thanks again,
Hardpan

hardpan,

Contact Eric Larson at HBE Leatherworks 801-916-9248 and have him make you a custom holster. Quality is second to none and delivery is about 3-4 weeks!
http://www.hbeleatherworks.com/
This is the DC Tuckable with clips and a 22* cant in Black Cheery with Shark Skin Front Panel. Very comfortable and looks nice!
HBEDCTuckableKimberTacticalProII.jpg

JD338

JD338
So, if i may ask,
1) How much and
2) Outside or inside?

I know that the latter is personal preference, but I am new to carrying a handgun, except for my .44 when I am hunting pigs.
thanks,
Hardpan

Back