Which is an ideal bullet weight for 280 Remington 140 or 150

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
For years, my standby favorite for my 280 is the 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I haven't really experimented on the 140 grain. I bought a box of 140 way back about 12 years ago and I probably loaded only a few bullet and I haven't really work on them. Whereas, I probably shoved thousand of 150's through my barrel. What's the advantage in using this bullet, if any, on a deer size game. Jim Carmichael, shooting editor of Outdoor Life thinks the 140 is the ideal bullet for 280. How about you guys?

I would shoot the 150g, or 160g bullets out of a 280 if I owned one. Pretty simple to me really, higher BC's, which mean they hit harder, have more retained velocity, and drift less when the shots become long versus a lighter bullet. If I was you, I would stick with the 150's.

I agree...

I shot all of the above with my 280s... 140 for Prarie Goats, 150 all around, 160s for Elk...

I prefer Accubonds for everything smaller than Elk...then its Partitions. :p

Tom

I have used the 140 gr PT and BT in my 280 Rem with fantastic results on both WT deer and Caribou. The 140 gr BT kills like lighting.

JD338

The 140 is my favorite in the 280 Sako I have. That being said, I would go with an AccuBond over a BT. Of course you didn't ask that :lol: I don't think either really has an advantage over the other. Which ever shoots best out of your rifle is the way to go.

Long

Long, AccuBond is probably superior to Ballistic Tip but for deer size game, Ballistic Tip is more than enough bullet for me. All deer I shot with this bullet though drops as if it was hit by lightning. Never recovered any bullet except a few red tip. The accuracy of these bullets are phenominal. My Argentine 1909 Douglas barreled Mauser will print less than half inch 5 shot.[
IMGP0504.jpg
[/img]

I use the 140 grain AccuBond in my Remy 700 Mountain Rifle. It's fairly new so I haven't chronographed my load yet (I'm retired and just don't have much free time) but I think I'm getting about 2800 fps. I dropped a 170 lb pig with one shot using this load.

Bullet weight is largely a function of what your rifle likes and what you're shooting at.

160 gr. Partition did a fine job on a moose last fall, but I'd take a 140 for whitetails.

Back