Which rifle stock?

atmoshpere

Beginner
Jun 8, 2011
I'm planning on treating myself to a stock upgrade for the 284. I'm looking at Mcmillan and Stockade (not many choices in aftermarket for the centerfeed Savages) and I'm having a hard time choosing so I need some advice.

Mcmillan only inlets the A-5 or HTG for the centerfeed DBM Savage actions. Since this is a hunting rifle my first choice would be the HTG. $488 finished w molded in color.

Stockade specializes in Savage actions so any of their stocks are available for this rifle. I'm looking at the Mule Deer stock as the closest match to the HTG. $300 painted/completed + inletting charge for DBM (not sure how much).

What do you guys think, is a McSwirly HTG worth $188-$150 more than a Stockade Stock? Of course I could do the money saver on the Stockade and really make it a budget job (paint/finish it myself) which knocks off another $100.

Which would you buy?

I would buy the McMillan and not look back. In my opinion, they are one of the best stocks out there. I've got an A3 on my .300 Win. Mag. and love it. They are a little more up front but they are well worth it. You won't regret a McMillan.

I have a few thoughts on this. I'm not to crazy about the HTG, but I really like MCMillans. I think with a bit of shopping around, we can save you $60 on the McMillan. That being said, if you like the shape and lines of the stockade, I think it would be fun to put the finishing touches on one. Heck I might be interested in putting one on my Savage .243. I have all the Dura Coat stuff, so we can make it look pretty dang cool I thinnk.

Are you wanting this done before deer season? The McMillan won't happen that fast for sure.

Buy once and cry once. Get exactly what you want and don't look back.
Tough to beat a McMillian.

JD338

I had a htg. on my 30-338 great stock but if your putting a larger scope and rail on it you will want to get the adjustable htg. look at manners they are coming out with more savage offerings also.

.300winmag":e7dgiwkx said:
You won't regret a McMillan.
This seems to be a general consensus from everything I've heard, but i feel like there are some companies out there that could give them a run for their money.

Richracer1":e7dgiwkx said:
Check out Stock's Stocks for possible alternatives.
Thanks Richracer, I had been poking around on there a bit without much success and then tried using their search function a little differently and had better results. They actually have a Manners MCS-T in all black that is in stock and inletted exactly how I need ON SALE for ~$464. While I think a colored stock would be nice for a custom job, this may be hard to pass up. There are more options if I want to convert to blind mag, but not sure I want to go there yet.

jmad_81":e7dgiwkx said:
if you like the shape and lines of the stockade, I think it would be fun to put the finishing touches on one. Heck I might be interested in putting one on my Savage .243. I have all the Dura Coat stuff, so we can make it look pretty dang cool I thinnk.

Are you wanting this done before deer season? The McMillan won't happen that fast for sure.
It would be a pretty fun DIY project, just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them and could speak to quality.Timeline is not too big of a concern at this point.

JD338":e7dgiwkx said:
Buy once and cry once. Get exactly what you want and don't look back.
Tough to beat a McMillian.

JD338

Therein lies the dilema :mrgreen: What exactly do I want :twisted:

usmc 89":e7dgiwkx said:
I had a htg. on my 30-338 great stock but if your putting a larger scope and rail on it you will want to get the adjustable htg. look at manners they are coming out with more savage offerings also.
Scope is currently on low rings atop an EGW 20MOA base and I have a 1/2" cheek pad to get proper alignment, so comb height is something I've been keeping an eye on. Have you used any Manners stocks? The main reason I hadn't been considering them too hard was they were more than the mcmillans and I figured a Mcmillan was all the stock I'd need. For $464 I might be able to get behind one though.

Thanks for all of the input guys! If anything I think the waters may have gotten a bit muddier though haha :grin:

The only guy I know of with a Manners is Tim (shoots_5 here)... you might give him a shout.

I don't remember what your configuration is on your .284 (as far a barrel contour) but unless you are running a truck axle tube on the rifle, I'd skip the A5... and maybe the HTG as well. I kinda get the impression that it is a pretty beefy stock, and might handle pretty funny with a lighter barrel.

+1 on buying from 24 Hour Campfire... Rick Bin has provided me with all of my McMillans, and I think you generally save $40-$80 ordering through him versus direct from Arizona. That's like buy nine, get one free! :)

I can remeber a few years back I could drive up to Phoenix, actually Deer Park and buy a stock off the shelf. I did that a few times. Dunno if I saved any money but I did enjoy talking with the staff.
Paul B.

I can't speak for Stockade, but I know that I do like McMillan stocks. I've shot a fair number of rifles with their stocks, and all seemed to give a very stable platform for superb performance.

I have the McMillan Hunter on my new 35 Whelen and it is a excellent stock would not hesitate to get another one. In fact I would not buy any other stock other than a McMillan.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks guys. I talked with Kevin at stockade today and they quit making stocks inletted for the new savages with the detachable mag bottom metal due to inherent weakness in the design :cry:

I can either convert to a blind mag (same as some of the options on stocky's) or pay an additional $250 for custom bottom metal that accepts AICS mags.

He was great to talk to and told me of another issue that he frequently sees with some of the new savages. Apparently they are prone to timing issues with the sear engagement that results in a short firing pin stroke, which can result in ignition inconsistencies which, according to him, could be responsible for the group srtinging that I see on a lot of my load testing with this gun.

Still curious about the Manners MCS-T on stocky's so may give them a call to learn some more about them. It seems that if I want more options I may have to go the blind mag route, which wouldn't be the end of the world.

Still open to ideas :mrgreen:

Back