Which Tikka 3 Rifle To Buy?

mickey308

Beginner
Dec 21, 2007
I am looking at buying a new tikka 3 rifle for hunting big game ie elk,moose,black bear,deer. Most of my shoots will be under 300 yards.
There are 2 rifles I am looking at ,
The Tikka T3 Battue light rifle in 30-06 or the Tikka T3 Varmint in 300 Wsm.
Which rifle would you choose? Will the 1/11 twist barrel effect shooting 180gr+ bullets?

Thanks In Advance,
Mickey308

mickey308":2qgdvw0n said:
I am looking at buying a new tikka 3 rifle for hunting big game ie elk,moose,black bear,deer. Most of my shoots will be under 300 yards.
There are 2 rifles I am looking at ,
The Tikka T3 Battue light rifle in 30-06 or the Tikka T3 Varmint in 300 Wsm.
Which rifle would you choose? Will the 1/11 twist barrel effect shooting 180gr+ bullets?

Thanks In Advance,
Mickey308
.............................According to the Beretta USA web site, the T3 varmit is N/A in the 300 WSM, but is available in the .308. Didn`t see a 300 WSM varmit.

For hunting, I`d go with the lighter T3 lite (non varmit). Either the `06 or the 300 WSM would serve ideally for the game mentioned above.

Given the same barrel length, the 300 WSM will give you a boost in MV by about 150-200 fps over the `06.

But between the two cartridges at 300 yards or less, your game won`t know the difference given the same bullet weights.

The 1/11 twist will shoot the 180's just fine.
In my experience Tikka hunting rifles shoot like Varmit rifles :grin:
My buddy shot a 1/2 group yesterday with his Tikka in 338 Win mag.
For woods and mountain hunting, the standard weight T3 is very nice. As for the Tikka Varmit in .308 (or WSM if you could get it), I'd kind of like one of them for myself 8) I don't mind the weight, and I'm kind of prone to the longer shots. :wink:

Flip a coin! Either will do great for your needs.

I have a T3 lite 300wsm and I shoot the 180 AB's with very good results. It is a pretty reliable .5 moa rifle.

Ordered the Tikka 3 HB Varmint in 300 WSM sku#93SS today. Hopefully it will arrive next week. I cant wait. Anyone have any good 300 WSM big game loads they would like to share? What scope rings/bases did you go with on your Tikka Rifles?

Thanks For Everyones reply, Greatly Appreciated.
Mickey308

Tikka's come with 1" med rings. They will work nicely for most scopes.
For a scope, I'd look for something in the 4.5-14 range, probably with a gold ring on it for starters, but there are many other fine choices out there as well.

Antelope_Sniper":1oceaimo said:
Tikka's come with 1" med rings. They will work nicely for most scopes.
For a scope, I'd look for something in the 4.5-14 range, probably with a gold ring on it for starters, but there are many other fine choices out there as well.

+1 to what A_S said.

Tough to beat a VXIII or Mark 4 4.5x14.

JD338

Back