WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I was wondering what you knowledgeable people on here would choose, if you were given the choice?
A used Weatherby Vanguard 2 in .300 Bee, or a Savage Trophy Hunter combo?
The Weatherby has the Monte Carlo stock, the Savage an American classic synthetic stock. The Bee doesn't have a scope.
They are both roughly the same cost.
Please explain your decision.

I've have had both a Savage and a Vanguard...

I'd take the Vanguard every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Howa (they make the Vanguard) makes a very nice rifle and their machine work is as clean as anyone in the world does it.

I've also never had or seen one that wouldn't flat out shoot. I had a .257Wby Vanguard that would easily shoot 3/4MOA or better. Not knocking a Savage, but they're just not in the same class as a Howa/Vanguard when it comes to quality or consistency.

I have a Savage Combo in 7/08... works ok, not a fan of the accu-trigger or the magazine design. It was a great gun for my son at $499 new, with a scope..in left hand...but it's nothing at all that compared to my Vanguard.

An S2 in .300Wby would make a very nice rifle for almost anything, almost anywhere.

Thank you Hodgeman!
Your advice is well taken.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Gotta go with josh an on this one. I just never could warm up to savage bolts, love the 99, but the 110 ect just met me feeling cold.

The vanguards are a good design with many good features.

All the scopes in the budget combos are suspect at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Vanguard in 300 Wby bedded in a green/black B&C stock if you're whatsoever interested. So far it shot factory 180gr ammo well, and that's as far as I have ever gotten with it.

Having said that, I have several Vanguards, and within the next while likely no bolt action Savages, as the two I still have will be sold off. They shoot well, but I've never really warmed up to them enough to want to keep them.

Dr. Vette":hgvo8z43 said:
I've got a Vanguard in 300 Wby bedded in a green/black B&C stock if you're whatsoever interested. So far it shot factory 180gr ammo well, and that's as far as I have ever gotten with it.

Having said that, I have several Vanguards, and within the next while likely no bolt action Savages, as the two I still have will be sold off. They shoot well, but I've never really warmed up to them enough to want to keep them.

Thank you Dr. Vette!
I have to sell another house to think about it. Your offer is very tempting.
I do remember the Vanguard I used to have had superior workmanship and the barrel sit perfectly in the channel of the stock, with equal amount of space on either side of the barrel.
Even though it is considered "budget" in Weatherby's eyes, it was still hands above what is out there now.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

All of my Vanguards are shooters, and generally I can rely on them more than my Mark Vs when it comes to innate accuracy despite the fact that they cost 1/3 to 1/2. I have yet (!) to have a bad one. Having said that, none of mine stay in the factory plastic stock, as they all get upgraded, bedded and the trigger swapped out or tuned.

I just realized that I'm not planning on taking any Weatherbys for my upcoming antelope hunt. That surely hasn't happened in quite a while that I left them all at home.

I agree with what several others have pointed out... the scopes included in the packages are basically bottom tier.

The best scope on these is pretty much an entry level Nikon and it goes downhill quickly from there.

You could get the Vanguard, save a few shekels for a VX2 Leupold or a middling Vortex in Warne or Talley mounts and be miles and miles ahead.

hodgeman":264tl9q4 said:
I agree with what several others have pointed out... the scopes included in the packages are basically bottom tier.

The best scope on these is pretty much an entry level Nikon and it goes downhill quickly from there.

You could get the Vanguard, save a few shekels for a VX2 Leupold or a middling Vortex in Warne or Talley mounts and be miles and miles ahead.

I agree.
I didn't know if the newer Vanguards were any less than what they used to be in quality some years back.
My 2 buddies believe in Weatherby rifles, and they've made me a convert as well.
It's a crying shame that r the Bee ammo costs so much!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

c. schutte":2s1r6gnc said:
HAWKEYESATX":2s1r6gnc said:
hodgeman":2s1r6gnc said:

I agree.
I didn't know if the newer Vanguards were any less than what they used to be in quality some years back.
My 2 buddies believe in Weatherby rifles, and they've made me a convert as well.
It's a crying shame that r the Bee ammo costs so much!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Yes, it does........................no getting around that. However, Weatherby factory ammo is top tier. I can say from experience that in two wby rifles that I know really well factory ammo shoots under .4" and some change " in one and .6" in the other. That's factory ammunition, not hand loads. I don't like over spending for anything either but, like North Fork bullets, I'll write the check when I need to. :>)

Charles is not only an optic snob, he is a bullet snob and he has my vote

I wouldn't choose a Weatherby cartridge for a target rifle that might be shot quite a lot... but as a hunting rifle...well- ammunition is just about the bottom of the list when it comes to costs incurred. Most hunters seldom fire more than a couple boxes a year at most.

But for those few rounds fired at game...I want the best stuff made!

hodgeman":2h4lh2fh said:
I wouldn't choose a Weatherby cartridge for a target rifle that might be shot quite a lot... but as a hunting rifle...well- ammunition is just about the bottom of the list when it comes to costs incurred. Most hunters seldom fire more than a couple boxes a year at most.

But for those few rounds fired at game...I want the best stuff made!

I fully agree

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Vanguard 300 Weatherby would be my pick. If you hate the stock there are a bunch of solid options. I do like the 300 Wby. I believe it is my favorite of the big 30's.

Back