Whitetail Deer hunting with 30-06

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
If you were to strictly hunt Whitetail Deer with the 30-06 and all you had to chose from was the 180 AB or the 180 Ballistic Tip, which one would you pick and why?

Don

180 BT.... there is just no need for a controlled expansion bullet like the AB on a whitetail. They're just not that big, even at their largest.

You can use ABs and they'll work just like a BT, but there just isn't a compelling reason to pay extra for it. On bigger animals like moose and elk I really like ABs.

If you are a meat hunter, though, the BT can be brutal on the shoulder meat.

I have been told by lots of people that the ballistic tip expands rapidly and is more suited to small game and targets. Use the AB, I know they work, a 150 or 165 will be dandy.

180 gr BT. It will open up faster and create more trauma than the AB.
Having said that, I would go with a 165 gr BT. It has a thinner jacket and will
put deer down faster than the 180 gr BT.

JD338

Thanks for the replies. I have been using the 165 BT the past 5-years. It works really well but have been wanting to get away from it due to meat damage encountering bone. Sometimes bone is unavoidable due to animal movement prior to bullet arrival etc. I have a lot of 180 AB bullets on hand and have some loads finished with the 180 BT yet to tested at the range.

I have heard the 180 BT is stout verses the 165 BT. I take it the 180 AB is even more stout than the 180 BT. I believe based on what I have processed here on this site that the 180 BT would work best for me considering I can get 2675-2700 fps out of the load. I typically try for double lung shots on Deer.

Don

If you have a known load for the 180AB that works in your rifle, you can simply swap the 180BT in place of the 180AB and carry on.

The profile is so similar (virtually identical) they will hit to the same POA until way out past Ft. Mudge.... I can run a mixed magazine in mine and can't tell the difference. I use the BT to develop loads for my 300 to save a few bucks and when I'm happy- simply load the ABs in the case and go hunting.

I have been shooting whitetails with the 160 AB in a 7WSM for some time now. Deer seem to drop like rocks and meat damage from bullet upset has never been an issue. They are very accurate in my rifle and bullets perform just like you expect out to 400yds. I have no first hand experience with AB's at greater distance on game animals but they do group well on paper much farther.

Back in the mid 90's the Ballistic Tip was very soft. I chose the 165BT over the 180BT in a .308 because the 165 had "less soft lead up front. It worked swell on axis deer. I used a 7mm RemMag on whitetail a lot during the late 70's early 80's. The 150 Partition worked wonderful, meat damage very slight. In the 30-06 I have now, I am going to use the 150 Partition and the 130TTSX on antelope/deer. I like to jump up to the 200 Partition for big hogs and elk in the '06, but truth is, I could use the 165 Partition on everything. Its just a lot of fun experimenting with different bullets and speeds. You could load that 180BT to 2650-2700 and save a lot of meat damage too. Nothing is perfect, and sometimes you still lose a quarter on whitetail...go figure!? ha Have a ball Pard!

I would not worry about meat damage by using Ballistic Tips on whitetails, i just hit them a couple inches behind the shoulder and into the ribs / lungs and they DRT. I never used a 30 06, but use a 7 Mag. If you feel comfortable shooting them in the shoulders, then use Nosler Partition or AB, they get the job done.

tackdriver,
I hear you. I love the Ballistic tip. My experience with it has been good. Using the 165 version has proven what everyone has said here. Rib cage shots are the best and lethal. But I have had drastic results encountering bone, not any fault of mine, just due to deer movement before bullet hit. I'm currently working with the 180 BT in an attempt to get a load that will work this season, hoping jumping up it will not blow up like a bomb went off ruining lots of meat. From what I hear the 180 BT holds together pretty good under the circumstances.

Don

Don
I've shot 50 deer with 150 grain BT. From 30 yards or so to 650. Most of them mule deer. Never been dissatisfied with the results.
One was quartering away at 300 yards, knew as soon as I tapped the trigger it was too far back. That bullet never left his stomach but hit him so hard he spun around, staggered and fell down. Dead when I got to him.
Nosler designed the bullet for deer and antelope, I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":1hnt22c5 said:
Don
I've shot 50 deer with 150 grain BT. From 30 yards or so to 650. Most of them mule deer. Never been dissatisfied with the results.
One was quartering away at 300 yards, knew as soon as I tapped the trigger it was too far back. That bullet never left his stomach but hit him so hard he spun around, staggered and fell down. Dead when I got to him.
Nosler designed the bullet for deer and antelope, I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50 deer... Ya, that pretty well blows my experience away! :grin: But I like the Ballistic Tip for deer sized critters too!

Regards, Guy

In the 30-06 I've actually shot more whitetail with the 150 Corlokt and 165 Sierra BT. I loaded the Hornady 150SP for a friends '06. Another friend went deer hunting with us to Georgia (from Texas) his only rifle was a Mod 742 '06. We were all busy, but I scoped and zeroed his rifle for him with factory loads. His rifle really shot well with the 180 round nose Corlokt. It worked swell, no meat damage to speak of. Another buddy of mine used the Corlokt 220gr in his Mod 742. Here in Uath, early 90s I used the old Hornady Light Magnum 180SP '06 load on cow elk and mule deer....pure poison. I seldom use the same load as I love to experiment, but the Ballistic Tips made today are superior to the early ones...you can't go wrong! have a ball Pard!

All I've ever used has been the 150g BT on deer. I never saw the need for anything larger but that's just my opinion. If you like the idea of 180's then I'm sure it will work just as well. Shoot what you think is best or what your gun shoots best. I prefer less recoil with the lighter bullets. Happy hunting!

I run 165 BTs in mine for deer.
Keep piles of them around the loading bench and use the same bullet in a 308.

Assuming you handload and are not shooting extreme range, try stepping that 165 or 180 BT down to .308-.300 Sav velocities. Don't have experience with the BT or AB, but I can say that traditional 150 and 165 SPs act like a whole different bullet with a tad fewer FPS. I would assume the results would be similar with the BT. Still anchors deer with plenty of damage, but not the "poof" you see with full-house '06 150s and 165s on close range hits. I've dropped a few deer from my M17 sporter using my "Garand" load of 46gr 4064 and a 150 Sierra Flat Base. Accurate and deadly, mild on the shoulder and the meat, still flat enough for 250 yards. Same goes for dozens of them with similar 150 SPs from .308, .300 Sav over the years.

Polaris,
I do hand load. My current 165 BT is trucking along at 2830 fps and it really anchors deer when I get all ribs. As stated before,encountering heavier bone destroys lots of edible meat!

You have a valid point to slow the load down, something I have given thought. But I don't mind stepping up to a 180 either. Typically the ranges are 20-150 yards in mature hardwoods from tree stands. My initial 180 hand loads clocked at 2650-2700 fps. made some adjustments but
haven't been able to get any range time in yet.

Don

Any bullet striking bone is going to cause meat damage. When bone is encountered, the bone fragments themselves become ballistic objects creating their own wound channels and blood shot. The 180's moving slower will lessen this to some extent, but will still create a bit of a mess. Don't expect a massive difference from any of the three bullets you've discussed with bone strikes.

Back