Whitetail Deer hunting with 30-06

I am going to go out on a limb here, which is where I spend most of my life. I of course do not know this but I think only Gil and I hunt for substance. So as Dale said in his above post it is better to lose a little meat than hope you find them when tracking them. I used a 30-06 with a 180 gr bullet for years and obviously since I am still here did not lose enough meat to starve to death.

But if in doubt follow David.s lead and get a 6mm for whitetail hunting and use your 30-06 for Elk, oh wait your in Texas. In that case I would get a 375 H & H, as everything is bigger in Texas, so I am assuming the whitetails might be larger than Elk in Colorado

LOL Contrary to popular belief, the whitetail deer here are tiny in TX compared to other states. There can be some very good sized ones that are managed on hunting ranches here, but nothing like I've seen in my home State of Iowa, or my adopted home State of Wyoming. Even the Mule Deer in Wyoming can be monsters.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

I don't worry too much about meat damage and try to shoot my deer through the ribs. Sometimes a shoulder will get destroyed but I try not to shoot too high and clip a loin. Some one worried about meat damage should try the pure copper bullets. I tried the barnes X bullets a few times and saw much less meat damage but the deer ran off like I had missed. Not much blood either. In open areas where you can keep your eye on the deer may not be a problem but in the south east where I hunt you don't want deer to run off into the swamps. Not much fun walking around in a swamp at night looking for a deer.
Billy

Found some 180gr BTs recovered from deer most likely shot at close range.
007_zps9pwmjt12.jpg

The well acclaimed CoreLokt retained 73% weight compared to one of the BTs that slipped it's core @ 72%.
Billy

yukon huntress":6idrtuvo said:
But if in doubt follow David.s lead and get a 6mm for whitetail hunting and use your 30-06 for Elk, oh wait your in Texas. In that case I would get a 375 H & H, as everything is bigger in Texas, so I am assuming the whitetails might be larger than Elk in Colorado

Just saw this... :mrgreen: And it put a smile on my face. Had a Texan room-mate for quite a while in the Marines... It was an amusing education!

Guy

Billyram, laughed when I saw your comment on chasing deer around in the swamps after dark. When Duck hunting in Florida there are occasions when I have to race the gators to my downed duck and that's almost as good as putting out decoys in the morning when you can't see your nose in front of your face because of the darkness.

big rifle man":3swioaac said:
Billyram, laughed when I saw your comment on chasing deer around in the swamps after dark. When Duck hunting in Florida there are occasions when I have to race the gators to my downed duck and that's almost as good as putting out decoys in the morning when you can't see your nose in front of your face because of the darkness.

Sounds as if the presence of the gators add a little zest to the hunting experience! :shock:

DrMike":2ev02rk9 said:
big rifle man":2ev02rk9 said:

Sounds as if the presence of the gators add a little zest to the hunting experience! :shock:

Excellent observation Dr Mike.

big rifle man, do you include a gator to two in your hunt ?

Europe, can't do, special season and licenses are required. The only time you can "sort of" legally take gator tail is when they get run over and become road kill. Doc, they are interesting animals and do manage to capture your attention on numerous occasions. Before we put our decoys out we take a quick spin around and make sure their are no "Red" eyes in the area.

I don't worry too much about gators or the snakes. This time of the year you're going to see cotton mouths or cane break rattlers every time you go into the woods so I wear snake boots. The swamps can be very unforgiving in the dark. You can very easily get turned around looking for a deer and if you don't have a compass you could be spending the night. Our deer season comes in very early "August 15" so a couple weeks ago a friend and I went hunting one evening a little ways into the swamp to some saw tooth and white oaks. When the sun went down it was pitch dark and neither one of us brought a compass. I managed to find my way out but not the same way I went in. When I got to the atv I fired it up and drove it to the edge of the woods with the head lights shinning into the woods. My friend was glad to hear the sound of the atv to guide him out.
Billy

6mm Remington":14dn5mc4 said:
I think you all should just use a 6mm Remington loaded with 100 gr. Partitions or 90 gr. Accubonds and be very happy and satisfied. This coming from a die-hard 30-06 fan!!

Actually, I can remember when the Mod 742 in 6mm was the "Ne Plus Ultra" in our part of SE Texas, ha! 100gr Corlokts was the norm. My "biggest buck ever" down there was a buck I got during bow season. He dressed out about 130 pounds...most dressed out around 90!

Ok here is the updated report on my 30-06 for whitetails this year. The 150 Partitions didn't shoot worth a darn using different powders etc. just wasn't there. BUT......the 180 Ballistic Tip won out!!

180 BT
1X fired Winchester cases, resized
58.0 H4350
CCI 250 primers

1st round grouping was 1" MOA, loaded more up to sight her in this week. However, today I had a few loaded for a trip to the hunt lease. Thought I would clock the load and was pretty surprised to see 2,783 fps from my 22" barrel!! Anxious to give these a try this season.

Don

Don, I had good luck with the 150 PT's and IMR 4166 powder from my two 06's. However, if you have leftover PT's and want to get rid of them, let me know.

Cheers,
Brian

I would guess that your load with the 180s will work beautifully, Don. Can't see a deer walking away from a good hit with that bullet. Looks as if you are getting some fine velocity out of the load.

Yes this should hopefully work out fine. I have a friend that shoots whitetail deer here in Tennessee, uses 300 Bee with weatherby factory loaded 180 Ballistic Tips! He said it kills like lightning. So it should work fine at 30-06 velocities.

Don

Thanks Dale,
I will let you know then, hopefully!! Our Rifle season for Deer opens Nov. 19th. Got some nice shooter bucks on my cams. I have the 35-Whelen ready to go with 225 Partitions and the 30-06 with the new loaded 180 BT. :mrgreen:

Don

Ok everyone I'm reporting back on the new 30-06 180 Ballistic tip load going 2783 fps.

I killed a doe last week at 75 yards. Uphill, angled broadside shot complete pass through. Entry hole right behind front leg going upward exiting the offside shoulder blade. She was DRT, dropped like a ton of bricks. Upon dressing her out saw the entry and and exit holes were size of a lemon. The entry took out 2 ribs while the exit encountered more bone, ribs and shoulder blade. Top of heart was blown away while it did encounter some of the lungs, which were destroyed.

Overall It did an excellent job and I'm happy. I will do some more work with this load to tighten the group in the off season. I think I found my load. :mrgreen:

Don

Back