WHITETAILS AND THE ACCUBOND ?

Looks to be pretty old...another angle would help....but they appear to be pretty well cupped and worn.

I'd guess 6-8 years

RAY":2jtka0ot said:
ElmerThud":2jtka0ot said:
sask boy":2jtka0ot said:
Ray you will never go wrong using a AccuBond. They are that good :mrgreen:!!
Blessings, Dan

Agreed. A 110gn AB from my .25-06 certainly stopped a 14 point rutting red stag for me last October. Good entry & exit. ATB ET

Very nice ! Where was the POI and exit size ? How many yards ?

I guess the range it was shot would be around 120yds. The stag came crashing through trees around 30yds behind me and was walking away from without knowing I was there..(hadn't seen or winded me). With no real shot on, I 'squeaked' & the stag turned presenting a sort of 'broadside/crossing shot' picture. I took the shot and the stag ran approx. 200yds then keeled over.

The shot took top of heart and lower left lung. It was a 3rd/4th rib entry, exit at rear of right shoulder was clean & bullet didn't seem to have expanded too much. Wound channel not massive. I was surprised at that as my MV would be around 3120fps.
That's the story Ray & the stag (300lbs dressed out) & I are in the photo, ATB

Attachments

• 14 points 4 Oct 2014.JPG
    14 points 4 Oct 2014.JPG
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 244
  • Glenure 4 Oct 2014 d.JPG
    Glenure 4 Oct 2014 d.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 244
DrMike":3pl3x9hz said:
And a handsome stag he is. Excellent job, ET.

Thanks Dr Mike. I know he's not a white tail, nevertheless I much appreciate your thoughts. Happy hunting. ATB ET

ElmerThud":12s3p6zb said:
DrMike":12s3p6zb said:
And a handsome stag he is. Excellent job, ET.

Thanks Dr Mike. I know he's not a white tail, nevertheless I much appreciate your thoughts. Happy hunting. ATB ET

True enough, he's not a whitetail. But, few over here ever get to shoot a stag; and that makes your quarry cool. (y)

I took this doe around 80 yards with the scirocco 150gr 3006 bonded this last season.
My shots where I hunt are mainly taken near dark , so I need a good blood trail.
Her hind quarters took a seat after that shot.

Attachments

• 2015-04-02 12.20.07.jpg
    2015-04-02 12.20.07.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 201
RAY":2mv8ct44 said:
I took this doe around 80 yards with the scirocco 150gr 3006 bonded this last season. My shots where I hunt are mainly taken near dark , so I need a good blood trail.
Her hind quarters took a seat after that shot.

Man alive Ray, that's a jolly big hole in the beastie! No wonder she didn't go far... broken shoulder shot..looks like to me.

My friends and I will often take shoulder shots if the deer are close to trees and a neck shot is not on. Stops them running and saves time looking for them. Venison for the freezer though.
ATB ET

Shoulder shot is great for dropping game. Does result in some lost meat though.

It's a decision...

Guy

Absolutely Guy, - my friends and I use shoulder shots if deer are likely to get into trees should they run, or a neck shot isn't on.
There can be meat damage if that shot is used of course, but the front end of a deer doesn't yield too much meat and provided the shot isn't near the spine the fillet will be spared damage too.

As you say, 'it's a decision' ......dictated by circumstances.
Best wishes, ET

I really ought to try the 110 gr .25 cal AccuBond someday. Have a couple of hundred of them sitting around. But, I'm so doggone happy with the 115 Ballistic Tips & 115 Partitions...

Sorry - way off topic from the 150 gr .30 cal bullets. Oooops.

Guy Miner":3phjw2kc said:
I really ought to try the 110 gr .25 cal AccuBond someday. Have a couple of hundred of them sitting around. But, I'm so doggone happy with the 115 Ballistic Tips & 115 Partitions...

Really no reason to change then Guy, not unless you want additional MV & a slightly flatter trajectory.

I simply couldn't find the right 'node' with a heavier bullet in my rifle, so went to the 110gn AB for additional downrange clout at 300yds+
As it turns out, the deer I've taken since have mostly been between 60 & 200 yds with only one extended range beast at 300yds (I think)

It's fair to say that all deer shot in the engine room with the 110gn AB have run some, but the Sierra 100gn Prohunter just has them keel over....massive internal damage, but rarely exit if bone is struck.

Back