Who makes a modern 6.5x55?

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
I see a few of the lucky and patient ones have picked up a Model 70 featherweight in a 6.5x55, is any one besides CZ and Tikka making one currently? All this 6.5 talk has got me thinking I might need another one. thanks all

I think if you special order it which will cost a bit more, but I believe you can get one from the Montana Rifle Company. They do not list chambering the 6mm Remington but I did call and ask them, and for a bit more I could get one for that cartridge! They make a darn nice rifle on the Model 70 and Mauser 98 design. Might be worth a call!!

Blaser, Sauer, and Mauser all have that chambering. It is a great caliber that gets the job done without fuss and drama.

All of the others have covered the makers that I knew of.

I was sorta thinking if I had to buy a 6.5 in a modern rifle, I would have probably gotten a 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger Hawkeye, but I stumbled over the Model 70, luckily..

The Sako's are awesome rifles as well. Today, knowing what I know, I would do as David mentioned and have Montana Rifle Company make me up one, or just get one in a 260 Rem..

SJB358":2uj2t7y7 said:
[ _Today, knowing what I know_], I would do as David mentioned and have Montana Rifle Company make me up one, or just get one in a 260 Rem..
OK your going to need to explain what you know so I can make an informed decision. (y)

I have a good Buddy that shoots a 6.5 Creedmore & swears by it. He advised for yotes, antelope & deer it is his go too calibre.

Blessings,
Dan

truck driver":cltydz5s said:
SJB358":cltydz5s said:
[ _Today, knowing what I know_], I would do as David mentioned and have Montana Rifle Company make me up one, or just get one in a 260 Rem..
OK your going to need to explain what you know so I can make an informed decision. (y)
You have to order a Montana Rifle from an FFL licensed dealer or individual. They chamber a lot of cartridges if you go to their website but will also chamber for lots of them that they don't list. I think I was told to have a 6mm Remington chambered in whichever one I decided on it would be about $100.00 or a bit more over standard cost of their rifles. Not a bad deal I believe. Look them up on-line and shoot them an email to see if they can. I bet they will make you very happy!

rmarshall":2wwnma68 said:
I see a few of the lucky and patient ones have picked up a Model 70 featherweight in a 6.5x55, is any one besides CZ and Tikka making one currently? All this 6.5 talk has got me thinking I might need another one. thanks all
I just went to their website and shot them an email. Probably by Monday sometime I'll have an answer for you on this and I'll post what the company responds with. After all, that is what we do here, we help others fulfill their dreams! And spend their money! :lol: :grin:

...you might want to compare the Swede w/ the Creedmoor, the Creedmoor will allow you to set those long, sleek bullets out in a short action...

rmarshall,

As mentioned above, I believe that all of the current manufacturers of rifles chambered to the 6.5 x 55 have been listed.

While I have not shot all of the rifles above listed, I have shot most of them and handled all of them, and they are fine rifles.

It will come down to your personal preferences and budget as to which one "feels" right in your hands.

I have owned an older military semi-auto, and two of the discontinued Remington Classics in the Swede and have lots of admiration and confidence in this cartridge, having also harvested whitetail, mule deer, elk and moose with this, under-appreciated by the general public, gem. I cannot wait to get my hands on the left-handed Sako Hunter in this caliber...something that I have been delaying for too long.

It is easy to reload for (which will also provide the best performance in modern rifles by 150-200 fps), recoils similar to the 257 Roberts, performs like the 270 Win on game, and is generally more accurate than either. I've sold many to people that enjoy the cartridge and to those looking for a great performing rifle for the sons and daughters and wives who want a big game cartridge that is not going to beat and create flinches while learning to shoot. Today, it is generally overlooked by unknowing sales people that automatically go first to the 7mm-08 (which in its own right is a great cartridge) because it is what they have on the shelf. (100,000 moose per year in Sweden and Norway harvested by 6.5 x 55's can attest to this!)

I also own the 260 Rem, the 6.5 x284 Norma, and have owned a 6.5 Creedmoor. I like these cartridges too, and enjoy shooting them, but have yet to harvest any game with them, and will correct this situation soon. I will get another 6.5 Creedmoor, but it will be left-handed when I do.

As to my favourite, I will say that it will most likely always be the 6.5 x 55 Swede, as it was my first, and I have more trigger time with this cartridge than the others combined.

Good luck in your search, and may your journey with the grand ole Swede be as enjoyable as mine has been!

I have the Sako 85 Finnlight in 6.5x55 and love it. If you want the Sako in 260 or 6.5x55 call Eurooptic that is the only place I found them.

My 6.5x55 was the CZ 550 Mannlicher stock. I have always been a little careful about Mannlicher stocks and accuracy but the Schonauer, CZ and Winchester 70 Mannlicher stocked rifles which I have owned were quite accurate and seemed to stay that way for long periods of time. My son has my CZ and it continues to shoot well, despite Washington's wet climate.

Back