Why do you load?

I started loading in about 1966. My Dad and Grandfather bought me a Remington 700 ADL in 222. I still have that rifle. My Dad reloaded to save money and he showed me how. I discovered early on that I usually beat or at least equaled factory ammo accuracy. I load for a lot of different cartridges and it is a passion of mine. Some old ones are 44-40, 300 Savage, 25-20, 300 H&H and 22 Hornet. I find satisfaction in making my own and have components to last me the rest of my life. Like Guy, I have some dies and brass for some guns I don't yet own! :) The 25's are my favorite but I have been shooting the 308 most often in the last few years.

Nope........for the few who recall my few posts, I didn't die.....or worse, lose interest. j/k

The gang nailed it. Satisfaction. Starting at the tender age of 16 (much to my single mother's chagrin) I started loading for my spanking new Sako Vixen "heavy barrel" (that really isnt all that heavy) in 222 mag.

Much to mom's surprise, I didn't blow up the house or anything while learning the in's and out's of loading all on my lonesome. Friends thought that I had lost my mind.
Recall youngsters, WE didn't have the web for info. Dangit, LOL Would have been nice!

Even though the past few years wiped out literally all my firearms, except for my lowly 22 and there was an all time low when I looked at my OLD reloading gear, shook my head, and posted it all online......I've never lost interest (Yep, following your blog Fotis)
It's common for me to sit reading posts on new loads, new bullets, old bullets found to be "pretty good enough" ......you name it.
With the light at the end of the tunnel growing each month, my interests have sharpened and once again, my "bucket list" rifle......looks possible with some frugal efforts on my part so I not only read the reloading posts (yep...just trolling. Not much to add) I'm back to window shopping online and following the rifle combo's that fit my bill just to stay current on prices for "that time' when it all comes together.

I think the satisfaction I got from my 350Jr wildcat creation, making brass, assembling the two rifles (one is still in service!) hit a high point for me. Walking up on that ever so normal 8 point, the first I took with the wildcat.......it was an amazing feeling. "I did this.......all by myself, from creation to fruition."

That feeling all started back in 1968 and that old triple deuce mag with the first groundhog that bit the dust shot with one of MY loads..........and praise the Lord, it's stuck.

I'm months from buying my bucket list rifle.............but I can tell you which two bullets I'll be whanging away with and which two powders I'll be loading. :grin:

God Bless
Steve

Back