Why the .35 Whelen?

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
I've noticed in my short time on this forum that there is some serious love for the .35 Whelen.

If I didn't know any better I'd think some kind of sickness is going around.

Why is it so sought after? Won't any of the traditional calibers work just as well?

How does it compare to the 300 or 338 magnums?

I don't recall ever seeing the Whelen on any store ammo shelves, but to be fair I wasn't looking specifically for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

The 35 Whelen was SAAMI approved by Remington in 1988 but it began as a wildcat in the early 1920's.
It fits a standard long action since the parent case is the 30-06. It was developed to provide a lot of power without having to go to an expensive 375 H&H magnum. When properly loaded, it is right on the heels of the 338 Win Mag with less powder and lighter recoil. It can be loaded with a 225 gr at 2700fps and a 250 gr at 2600 fps making it a 400 yard elk and moose rifle.

JD338

Are we talking 400 yards in terms of energy at that range? I'm thinking a heavy bullet at those speeds may have quite the arcing trajectory.

I can only speak for myself but here is why I like it so much. As a young guy I read a lot of Craig Boddington and at the time he recommended I shoot 220 gr bullets in my 30-06 for hunting moose. Shot my first moose with those bullets. Around that time the 35 Whelen became a factory round and as soon as I saw an add in a local hunting store showing the 250 gr RN bullets going the same speed as the 220 in a 30-06 I fell hard for it. It was different, has class, and after I used it found it didn't kick much and killed everything well. 25 years later I have yet to be disappointed with it and it is at the upper limit for recoil that I enjoy shooting. The 358 Norma and 375 Ruger work well but they aren't as much fun to use even though I could shoot them accurately, it just wasn't fun.

zacii":49663463 said:
I've noticed in my short time on this forum that there is some serious love for the .35 Whelen.

If I didn't know any better I'd think some kind of sickness is going around.

Ah, yes, 'tis a fine and pleasant malady which has infected most. Take care, lest you, also, discover yourself to be infected.

Why is it so sought after? Won't any of the traditional calibers work just as well?

How does it compare to the 300 or 338 magnums?

Sought after? Rather, people witness how effective it is in dropping game with authority. You can load a heavy bullet that makes a big hole in game, all without kicking you from under your hat. What's not to like? Traditional cartridges will work as well, but the Whelen is a great all-round cartridge that'll git 'er done in the field.

I don't recall ever seeing the Whelen on any store ammo shelves, but to be fair I wasn't looking specifically for it.

It is often there, but not in great quantities. The Whelen is a hand-loading proposition in order to ensure that it performs up to its potential.

What? You don't own a Whelen yet? :shock: I see a lovely CDL offered at this present time.

http://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30983

Move quickly and it could enrich your hunting experience this fall. (y)

zacii":3k6qbjug said:
Are we talking 400 yards in terms of energy at that range? I'm thinking a heavy bullet at those speeds may have quite the arcing trajectory.

With the right scope set up, it can de done.
I seem to recall a marine on this forum that was shooting his 35 Whelen at 600 yds and hitting the gong.

JD338

zacii":1om111nx said:

A 225 gr bullet will shoot as flat as a 30-06 with a 180 gr, not as flat as a fast magnum but still flatter shooting than many people would think. A 250 gr bullet would be similar to how a 308 Win sends out a 180 gr bullet.

I started reading about old calibres as at the time I was shooting a 270win & a 375 H&H. Once I spoke with DrMike & gerry about the 35 Whelen & I figured I would give it a try. I am still amazed by the performance of this cartridge. I am shooting 225gr. ABs at 2700 & change. I shot a large cow Moose at just over 200 yards & she drop like she had been hit by Thor's hammer :wink:. A year later I was fortunate enough to range a mature cow Elk at just a tad over 500 yards & I made the shot she was hit a little far back but split her liver she made the bush traveling about 200 yards then expired.
It thumps like a magnum without the kick & without the large powder consumption.
The Whelen family here is strong & proud (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

Some of the loads the Whelenatics have posted on this forum have ballistics that are embarrassingly close to the loads I shoot from my .375 H&H...

The 338-06 and 9.3x62 are similar rounds that share a lot of the same qualities and are worthy of consideration as well. My preference would be to have a 30-06 instead of a 338-06 but the latter is definitely a good round. the 9.3x62 is a classic and if someone likes heavier bullets an excellent choice. I'm happy with the 35 Whelen though.

The .35 Whelen is the best use of an '06 case....

There. Said it.

In all seriousness. The Whelen was created to seriously up the ante' available from the '06 cartridge and the 1903 Springfield rifle.

In 1923 that wasn't much available in the U.S. between the '06 and the .375 H&H. America was still lever gun territory in those days. The .300 H&H was still two years away and the .338WM was several decades out. Most stuff like the Newtons were too spendy and rare for most folks.

The Whelen was an easy and cheap way to turn the '06 into something considerably more potent.

It is an excellent hunting round, not too loud, not too hard to shoot, and kills game quick. It kills them w/o tearing up a lot of meat, capes, etc. The moderate velocity, along with that 35 cal bullet just cuts a big hole all the way through. Sure, lots of other calibers work just fine, and I've had the privilege of using a lot of them. In a 22" barrel, I still prefer ( and use, love it ,love it!) the Ackleyized version. If I had a Mod 700 CDL with a 24" barrel I'd leave it a standard Whelen. Handloading allows one to realize it real potential. If just killing deer/hogs, 200gr factory ammo works fine. If you want a longer range load or really want to hammer bigger game, i.e. elk size, then the quality 200TTSX to 225s to 310s properly loaded are amazing. OR, if you just want an Old School American creation game killer ( even big bears have bit the dust from the standard!) the Whelen ( and one could say the 338/06) are just Classics. If you break down ( or give in to good sense! ha) and get one, and discover you don't like it or whatever, you can always get your money back upon resale! Think of 35 Whelen "diehards" as proud parents, crazy Grandparents or starving college kids who just got money from home! ha

JD338":dehh7dkt said:
zacii":dehh7dkt said:

I seem to recall a marine on this forum that was shooting his 35 Whelen at 600 yds and hitting the gong.

JD338

If you know your dope you can shoot well past 400 yards on game. It is possible to have a 325 yard point blank range for a 225 grain NPT delivering nearly 2000 ft-lbs of energy at that range. It's only 8 MOA to come up from a point blank zero to reach 500 yards, and most scopes have at least that much adjustment.

I came to the .35 Whelen late in life. First one was a Ruger M77 Tang safety, then came a Remington M700 Classic Played with Hornady and Speer 250 gr. bullets with interesting results. Both have only been shot on paper. One day there was an estate sale at a gub show and I picked up a beautiful custom on an Oberndorf Mauser acton that was as you probably guessed was another .35 Whelen. Ran a few test loads with 250 gr. bullets and recoil was a bit nicer on my shoulder the the Remington or Ruger. Got a coveted Kaibab deer tag and the state of Arizona asked hunters there and in the Arizona Strip country just north of the Kaibab to use copper bullets due to the area being part of the condor flyway. I worked up a load with the Barnes 225 gr. TSX and reached 2710 FPS with Re15 giving .50" groups when I did my part. Didn't get a deer that year but in 2010 I did a private land hunt for a cow elk and the Whelen came along. First day of the hunt I jumped a cow elk at about 75 yards. By the time I got my rifle up she was about 150 yards out running full tilt. At the shot she dropped as fast as any animal I've ever shot and hit the ground hard. Even the guide was a bit surprised at how effective the load was. I've since taken three more elk off that ranch two with the Whelen and this year's with a 30-06 build I'd never shot game with. Shots with the Whelen came at 150, 180 and 350 yards. The one ay 180 required a finishing shot as I hit it a bit too far back but she was anchored to the spot and was not going to go anywhere. This year I used the 06 as I built it a very long time ago and just never took it hunting. That elk went maybe 30 feet before expiring. My upcoming elk hunt will be with the Whelen once more.
FWIW, I have been so happy with that TSX load that I've not bothered to try to even find another one. Guess if it ain't broke I'm not gonna fix it. :lol:
Paul B.

zacii said:

Three years ago my oldest stepson killed a small button buck (he thought it was a doe) at a lasered 447 yards from my Whelen using my reloads. This was a basic Remington 700 Classic with an older model Burris 3-9x scope. The load was 58 grains of RL-15, using 225 Accubonds, and my first attempt at loading for the Whelen. It was very accurate from my rifle so I didn't mess with it.

I had it zeroed at 200 yards and when we were discussing the holdover for longer shots I guesstimated a foot above the back at 400. When we were discussing trajectory, I had no idea he would ever try such a shot. He drilled it a little further back than he wanted and it still dropped it in it's tracks. The bullet effects even at that range were dramatic to say the least. No lack of energy here. The height was ideal, the windage a little off.

Three days later I killed the my biggest buck ever and two coyotes as a bonus with it. The coyotes were "impressed" by the Whelen's power, to say the least.

Ron

taylorce1":qygjeuyt said:
JD338":qygjeuyt said:
zacii":qygjeuyt said:

JD338

If you know your dope you can shoot well past 400 yards on game. It is possible to have a 325 yard point blank range for a 225 grain NPT delivering nearly 2000 ft-lbs of energy at that range. It's only 8 MOA to come up from a point blank zero to reach 500 yards, and most scopes have at least that much adjustment.

Exactly

JD338

I have had a 35 Whelen for awhile and can't find too much to not like about it. For my sorta hunting it is a serious step up from the .30's and like Mike mentioned, it won't kick you from underneath your hat either. With 200 grain bullets it'll scoot them out there about the same pace a 300 Win Mag will push a 200. Granted, the BC on a .308 200 is much better, but for 0-400 yard sorta hunting I don't think it would matter too much.

I love the 225's and 250's though. 30-06 sorta flat and much more bullet on the receiving end. Can't say is better than other cartridges, but it is very good, especially when you get into the larger animals. It does hit with good authority that makes big animals pretty sick..

I shot the Whelen out to 600 with the 250 PT's and 225 AB's. Both of them hit the steel just fine. If you know your drops, it'll get there just fine. I really think it shines in the 0-400 but the capability is there if needed. Those big .358 bullets don't need to open up too awfully much to make big, leaky holes.

There's nothing I can add to what has already been said here and I think it has been very well covered. With that said there is a Rem 700 CDL 35 Whelen for sale on this web site at a very good price with brass already for reloading. :mrgreen:

I can't add much to what's been said. I've got a 338-06AI and a 9.3X62. They are pleasant to shoot and hit hard! With 225's you have the same trajectory as a 308 and hit like the hammer of Thor. It's a sight to see.

Back