wildcat calibers

Truckdriver when I started this little Mashburn project the 28 Nosler obviously did not exist. It would make sense to buy a Nosler rifle and go that way.

But even if it did, I likely would have gone Mashburn because I have no idea how the Nosler case will function in a M70 action, and after my experience with the 7mm Dakota I would not want to be tied into "one source", proprietary brass. I've played the game already and don't need it....not for the meager performance differences between the Nosler and Mashburn.

In a pinch I can always get my hands on 20-30 300 Win Mag cases and make enough ammo to hunt....sort of a moot point as I have a few hundred on hand. But I am not a the mercy of one source of brass and unexpected shortages, production runs etc.

Also the Nosler probably struts its best stuff from a 26" barrel; too long for my tastes.Im happy where I am.

Well, I won't use the "why not" or even the "because I can"...

Just the "because I (or you) want to have something different and more interesting!". And do we need to justify our wants. I say "No"! Do it because you want to and have fun doing it!

Being a lefty makes it hard enough to find unique and interesting rifles chambered in unique and interesting cartridges. And owning something that not every other shooter out there has or uses has an air of distinction about it, that will only make sense to those of similar minds.

While wildcats are cool and very interesting, I have limited myself to one at this time, because I really like having properly head stamped brass for my rifles. The AI is nice because I can also use factory ammunition in it. I had thought of others, but am happy that they have been given legitimacy by some manufacturers and I do not need to fire form or neck up/down brass. Nothing wrong with this, but I prefer to spend more time shooting and hunting than performing these other tasks at the reloading bench, as I get my level of satisfaction from the steps that I do perform now.

The production of cartridges like the 416 Taylor, 376 Steyr, 338 Federal and 338-06 A-Square have satisfied my desires for rifles in other calibers that I think are useful for the game that I hunt, or wish to hunt in the future. While not wildcats anymore, they started out that way, as did so many of our "standard" cartridges today.

Dr Mike, April LOL! luv you guys

Idahoctd, obviously you never heard about my attempt to put together a 458 lott--it did not turn out well, so my rifle building days are over, but the 264 H & H would be different, possibly to close to the 275, but as Gil just said we don't need to justify what we do, so maybe. Everybody in my family already thinks that the 244 is an absolute waste of money---but if I find the right one, it will be mine.

Do any of you have difficulty taking a wildcat and wildcat ammo ( not head stamped the same as the caliber your using it in ) into Africa when you hunt there ?

If the barrel is properly designated, ie it needs to say the caliber on the headstamp somewhere in the caliber designation like 7-300 win mag and you use 300 win mag brass, then you typically have no trouble abroad. Hornady does make basic magnum brass without a headstamp. A person with a CNC could easily engrave the brass to any belted magnum caliber. The downer is forming it to some of the smaller calibers because it's just a straight walled case.

I didn't hear about your 458 Lott. I wouldn't let one rifle build or builder ruin a future custom build for you. I'm sure RMR, that Dr. Mike uses, could build you a rifle without issue. If we didn't have a border between us I'd help you out. I have a 458 Lott but it's on a Remington and I won't sell it. It smacks bears with authority as does my 460 Weatherby that was built just for shooting bears.

BTW Quality Cartridge makes all kinds of obsolete head stamped brass. They list 7 Mashburn, 275 H&H, 244 H&H, and tons of others. If nothing else a person could probably get them to special run a headstamp where you would still have to form the cases in dies or by fireforming from another caliber they are set up to do. So if you wanted proper brass for a 264 H&H they could probably change the 275 H&H to 264 H&H and you would just have to run the brass through a 264 H&H dies to form it.

I played with wildcats ( and Improved cartridges) just because I liked playing with them! I liked the Improved rounds that gave a real increase in velocity, sure. My first one was the 257 Roberts Improved, which spoiled me, ha. I could never get much from a couple of 30-06 Improved rifles though. I also just liked the looks of a necked up round ( that 222 mag necked up to 6mm; 6x47; is sure a cutey, and killed like a .243!) I liked the raw power of a 416 Taylor, even if I did ruin the concept by using a 20" barrel ( did I mention it was loud?) The 17s were fun, but so fragile, almost "dainty". The hot 22's ( 22-250 IMP and the .224 TTH) were super fun. I never had one though that wasn't bested by a factory available cartridge, i.e the Magnums or larger cartridges. I had fun with a little CZ 527 in .221 Fireball on crows, prairie dogs, and a hog. But I did the same thing with a Marlin 1894 in 25-20! ha. I learned a lot, had a ball...now I'm back to store bought rounds....

As IdahoCTD stated, Quality Cartridge does carry a good assortment of wildcat brass and even makes some ammo. For us poor Canadians and the exchange rate on the US dollar, it can make it more expensive for us, but it is still possible! And with a few different companies now doing export permits on rifles, scopes and components out of the US and into Canada, it is not impossible to do. There is a price for their service, but it seems to be coming down as the competition increases.

I have brass for both my 416 Taylor and my 250 AI from them, and had to send them a fire formed case from my chamber so that they could ensure that I received the right cases, with proper head stamps, as some wildcats come in various shoulder and neck dimensions. Expensive? Yes, but I feel it is worth it.

Preacher, I wouldn't worry about a shorter barrel on your 416 Taylor, I had ordered mine built with a 22" barrel and it ended up with a 21" barrel somehow. It balances well, and shoots very well so far. No grizzly, bison, or Cape buffalo is going to be able to tell the difference when a 350 or 400 gr A-Frame hits, or should I say slams them, in the vitals! And this way, I can put the barrelled action into a full length stock somewhere down the road, as I have done in my 376 Steyr. Which incidentally, is identical and already in a full length stock, and launches 260 gr AB's just 50 fps slower than the 375 Ruger launches 270 gr bullets out of a 22" barrel, and groups 1/2" @ 100 yards. I just need to get a 260 gr solid load to match and I'm good for the Cape buffalo!

Back