win. 30-30 lever action

I don't see what's so wrong with the flat-tip bullets. The limiting factor for most 30-30's isn't going to be the energy figures or trajectory anyway- it's the accuracy. They tend to have poor triggers and tend to not wear a scope. Anyway, not to dog 30-30- I also bought my younger brother one, I own one, and I also own a .32 WS... and I've killed deer with my 30-30 and the .32 as well... but the flat point bullets work GREAT on game and I don't really see how they handicap the rifle much if at all...

-jeff

I bought a box for my 444 and They shot a group that was under an inch at a 100 yards not to bad for a big bore leveraction rifle. There,s bolt guns that can,t shoot reloads that good so I,m sure they will do good in a 30 30.

My 45/70 marlin shoots great too, but I think the big-bores tend to shoot better than the 30-30's...

I like my Marlin 336 30-30; please don't get me wrong! I just don't see any real problem with flat-tip bullets. A 30-30 is what it is- a medium-range deer rifle, at BEST.

-jeff

I don't know, never used them!

I have killed deer with a handloaded Speer 150-gn from a 30-30, and it worked fine on a little doe, and a 170-gn (I think) Federal factory load from a .32 WCF, which showed tons of penetration and put a large doe right down.

That's the extent of my killin' with lever actions. Well, except from a .358 BLR...

-jeff

I agree with Jeff Olsen.
To me the part of the reason for using the lever action in the first place
is for oldtimes sake, and also for close range in the woods.
Why feed a classic 30-30 with some newfangeled looking bullets when the flat noses are what has always worked so good.
If you want to shoot farther than 200 yards why use one in the first place?
It's also much more fun to take game with your own handloads.
just my opinions

I am enjoying reloading and I am in love with the Nosler AccuBond bullets but when it comes to a 3030 I would have to recommend the Hornady Lever Evolution bullets. They have impressed the hell out of me! I keep it with me when I duck hunt the swamps and I have killed two deer dead in their tracks with my Marlin. Both shots did big internal damage and went through with a nice exit hole. Try them out....very accurate too.
Doug

The leverevolution isn't for everybody but their some who like to use thier lever guns for more than just the woods. And some are stuck in their ways and like their round nose bullets thier just another option for the lever guys

I have shot 2 boxes of leverevolution and they grouped wider than Walmart fodder. The problem I ran into is the style of sights on Marlin/winchester it is prety tough to line up everything for a good shot out to 300. Peep sights are a dif story. I am sure a 17yr old has better eyes than mine
When the velocity starts slowing down those flat tip /large meplat realy shine in causing a large hole. Elmer Keith knew this and any book on terminal ballistics shows this.
One of my very first hunts I had a 257Wby given to my dad by some guy named Roy. My grandfather had his 94 1890's 30-30 that he traded an Indian a half a bottle of whiskey for (so the rumor goes). We saw an elk at a little over 200yards and this 80yr old grampa hit it and then told me why in the world would anyone own such a thing (the 257)when this 30-30 does fine. My view on hunting has forever been scewed. So 27 deer later with a little 357mag carbine at 1950fps ish 180 grainer I feel a 30-30 is more than enough. I reload alot 2 progresives and a rockchucker and an old orange crush, Lee stuff all over. But the 30-30 has stumped me the most accurate loads I have are the 170 grain bullet in the silver box from Walmart I had an 18 inch 30-30 that loved the 150 grainers. It may be just as easy to go get some boxes and call it good, the thin 30-30 brass can get very anoying while trying to reload too.
But I am also waiting to get my hand on some leverevolution bullets and start loading them up just to see, it is what reloading is all about.

I don't like scopes on Marlins or Winchester lever guns, so that right there keeps the range on the reasonable side for me. Hence, the Leverution ammo doesn't do much for me.

-jeff

Back