Win. Model 70 in 280 rebarrel to?

mkcj

Beginner
Jul 6, 2011
I have a model 70 featherweight in 280 rem. and I am thinking of rebarreling it (have a bunch of 280's) There's no problem going to a 280 AI correct, but what about to the the 26 Nosler, can that be done? or other caliber.

You'll have to stay with rounds that use a standard bolt face for a simple barrel swap...but that leaves lots of options...from 243 to 35 Whelen.

For a 280 Ackley...you could use the barrel you have...but a 24" barrel is a better fit on the Ackley, I believe.

I'd do a fast twist 277 barrel in 270 winchester. It is a highly under rated round. A 1-8 or 1-9 twist featherweight barrel woul be sweet. You could also easily do a 6.5/06 or 6.5/06 AI too. They won't do anything the 270 won't do as well or better though

Call me old fashioned but...how about a .30-06? That's my favorite.

Or if you want a 6.5 how about a 6.5-284?

Has anyone necked down the 280 AI to a 6.5 yet?

That should be in 264 Win Mag territory.

Nothing wrong with rebarreling a rifle to something you want/need. However, since the .280 is somewhat rare in the Model 70, you might be better off selling it and buying something you want.

The 6.5/06 AI will beat out the 6.5x284 and will feed better and require no bolt face or feed rail adjustment. The 6.5/06 essentially is the 280 AI necked to 6.5. The adition of a wyatt mag box will allow you to free up some internal capacity and seat those high BC bullets out far enough to get out to the lands.

DrMike":17mchv94 said:
Nothing wrong with rebarreling a rifle to something you want/need. However, since the .280 is somewhat rare in the Model 70, you might be better off selling it and buying something you want.

The Dr. hit the nail on the head!

Palouser":3d2ovy4d said:
DrMike":3d2ovy4d said:

The Dr. hit the nail on the head!

Exactly what I was thinking!

I have a M70 CRPF in 30-06 I'll trade you for your M70 280 if you need a donor rifle for a project. (y)
The controled round push feed was one of the last that USAR made before selling the company to FN.

I recently purchased a M70 featherweight and I will say it is a very nice rifle. Not too easy to find.
Would be sad to waste one.

Who is that is saving 35 Whelens one at a time.

Maybe the next moto should be saving M70 Featherweight 280's one at a time.

+1 on DrMike and the others recommendations to leave the .280 Model 70 in its original caliber?

Back