Winchester 348

None of them are cheap compared to the Hornady's, but Hawk, Barnes, Hammer, and Swift make bullets for the 348. Might be missing somebody that makes them that I'm not thinking of. So plenty of reloading options out there yet as of now, but Hornady was the last cheap bullet available, and was used heavily. Darn shame they quit making them.
Furry has start making the .348 200gr FP bullet that is like the discontinued Hornady of same wt. Dan.

Furry has start making the .348 200gr FP bullet that is like the discontinued Hornady of same wt. Dan.

Danno, I don't see that bullet? I do see a 220 gr bonded in 348.........probably be a good elk, moose bullet so that's a nice option to have, but I don't see that 200 grainer. Maybe I'm not awake enough to navigate their website, ha.

Danno, I don't see that bullet? I do see a 220 gr bonded in 348.........probably be a good elk, moose bullet so that's a nice option to have, but I don't see that 200 grainer. Maybe I'm not awake enough to navigate their website,

Danno, I don't see that bullet? I do see a 220 gr bonded in 348.........probably be a good elk, moose bullet so that's a nice option to have, but I don't see that 200 grainer. Maybe I'm not awake enough to navigate their website, ha.
Sorry about that Jeff. You are correct it is 220gr. As for being bonded if it acts like the 220gr 358 bullet you wouldn't have any problems on deer going by the jug tests I did. If I had a 348 and needed some bullets, I wouldn't have a problem using them. Always good to have options, Dan.

I’m not a lever guy ,but the Model 71 in 348 is the one I’ll take. Just wish they were more affordable. I pasted on one at a local auction , just couldn’t fork over that much for the condition it was in.

I’m not a lever guy ,but the Model 71 in 348 is the one I’ll take. Just wish they were more affordable. I pasted on one at a local auction , just couldn’t fork over that much for the condition it was in.

Pops rifle is what I'd call well worn, but not worn as in beat up, it's slick actioned and tight. Just worn from years of carrying it through the brush with his hand under the receiver putting miles on.

Sorry, no; both 71's were Grade 1 Brownings, and were in excellent and good shape with nice and very nice wood.
Haven't seen a Winchester in nice shape when I could afford one.
As nice as the High Grades are, I just can't bring myself to buy one, as I wouldn't be packing it out in the bush.

Age is starting to make its appearance in my ability to use iron sights, but as yet, still good enough for hunting at nominal open sight distances of 100-200 yards on large game like moose. Still enjoy it, as that was how I started shooting as a kid. Was about 12-13 years later before I shot a scoped rifle of any kind.

As a matter of fact, I just received a Leupold QR base and rings for my Marlin in 338 Marlin Express in the mail last night. Might get it swapped out today...

Dang guys on here. Always putting stuff in my head. Going on a moose hunt and being successful with my Dad's 348 would be about the pinnacle of any hunt I could dream up, I would think. Probably just a pipe dream, but one never knows........maybe someday.

TheBear I think it was on here, put in my head that my Sauer 101 needs a Swarovski Z3 scope on it. I looked at them and agree and haven't got it out of my head since. So there it sits, waiting on a Swarovski. :(:LOL:

Dang guys on here. Always putting stuff in my head. Going on a moose hunt and being successful with my Dad's 348 would be about the pinnacle of any hunt I could dream up, I would think. Probably just a pipe dream, but one never knows........maybe someday.

TheBear I think it was on here, put in my head that my Sauer 101 needs a Swarovski Z3 scope on it. I looked at them and agree and haven't got it out of my head since. So there it sits, waiting on a Swarovski. :(:LOL:
Next thing we'll know, you will have hunted and taken a moose with that 348!;)

Reloader 19 has always been my powder of choice in my Win 71 with 200gr Hornady FN and Barnes 250gr FN . I collected Win 71 over the years and gave each of my sons a early 50’s vintage Win 71 along with Redfield Aperture peep Sight in great condition. Yes I have one for my self also ! My eyes will not let me shoot without a scope today. So my Win 71 sits in a place of honor, to me the best feeling lever ever the Win 71. Love that Win 71 ! That 200gr Hornady is great bullet with RL 19. Good for deer black bear and elk. I use the Barnes 250gr FN with 60.0 of RL 19 excellent load for moose.

Last edited:
Back