winchester model 70

corbin9191

Handloader
Dec 2, 2007
A friend of mine is telling me that he has a winchester model 70 in a 7mm wsm that he is wanting to get rid of because he says it is to fast for his uses on game. He is pretty interested in a trade for my mossberg 270 win. What are your thoughts about this rifle? I know that winchester stopped making guns so how hard would it be to gets parts for this rifle also? Any thoughts are welcome. Thank you.

If the rifle is in good condition, I would jump on it.

JD338

corbin9191,

Some of the Winchester WSM's have out of round chambers. I won't matter much if you never handload. If you might ask to see some fired cases and measure them on the lower body.

Do it! My Featherweight shoots AccuBonds to 1/4 inch at about 2950. It is an excellent rifle for mule deer, whitetails and elk. You have been offered an excellent deal, especially if you hand load.

Trade a Mossberg for a Winchester?

In about a half a heartbeat. :grin: Yes, I have a Model 70 in .300 WSM, not much different from the 7mm WSM you're contemplating. It's a shooter.

One note of caution - for some reason the 7mm WSM doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as the .300 and I understand that ammo & brass is a little more difficult to obtain. I don't see that as a reason to avoid the cartridge, just something to know.

BTW - Winchester has resumed production of rifles. New Model 70's are hitting the gunstores already.

Regards, Guy

My friend's M70 7WSM likes this combo: Max charge H4831, WLRM, Win Brass, with 160 AccuBond.

Before I started loading for him, he has taken a 170 class Mulie and 5x5 Elk with factory 140 silver ballistic tips with that rifle.

Hell yeah...you kidding. It would be i my safe by now.

well I found out some more on the rifle and found out that there is alot of blow back on the case after fireing a round off. So doesnt that mean there it to much head space? and what can you do to fix that?

corbin9191":1szgq9q5 said:
well I found out some more on the rifle and found out that there is alot of blow back on the case after fireing a round off. So doesnt that mean there it to much head space? and what can you do to fix that?

Need more information-

Can you define what a "lot of blow back" is?
Factory load or hand load?
If hand load, what is the exact load?
Same condition with different loads?

JD338

The bullets that he is using right now are remington core locks. when he ejects the shell almost the whole neck coverd in powder residue.

Back