Winchester safeties.

Check Brownells. They should have what you need. (1-800-741-0015)

...do you need a new safety, Corey, or do you just need a new spring/ detent ball (common problem w/ Win. 3 pos. safeties)???

wildgene":ok49ienu said:
...do you need a new safety, Corey, or do you just need a new spring/ detent ball (common problem w/ Win. 3 pos. safeties)???

Good catch, Gene. It is precisely the question that needs to be asked.

Well I don't know exactly. I'm trying to do it myself and I'm wondering if I got the whole thing if that would be easier than taking it apart. My sefety is very difficult to get back on? Post 70 safety rifle was ,made in 1974..

Corey

C.Smith":2cmft6qd said:
Well I don't know exactly. I'm trying to do it myself and I'm wondering if I got the whole thing if that would be easier than taking it apart. My sefety is very difficult to get back on? Post 70 safety rifle was ,made in 1974..

Corey

You can give this a try. I have a 1968 M70 .338 in. mag. that has a bit of a stubborn safety but if I lift the bolt handle slightly it will slide right into the safe position. Might work for you until you get what you need to fix it.
Paul B.

I believe we have hashed this problem out before. When the bolt is closed and cocked, the striker is not being held far enough back for the cam on the safety to engage with the corresponding area on the striker. If you want to confirm this, just put a bit of paper or shim on the trigger sear, then close the bolt to find the safety works just fine. The fix is to disassemble the bolt and use a small india stone to dress back the cam angle slightly. I would recommend taking it to a gunsmith since this is not a "kitchen table" project. Compressing the mainspring and getting that little c-clip in place can often be a knuckle buster.

Back