Winchester Super Shadow

mnwoody

Beginner
May 3, 2005
I just bought a Super Shadow in 7mm WSM. The book says the magazine capacity is 3. What is the best way to get one round in the chamber and three in the mag for a total of four in the gun?

The only way I know would be to get one in the chamber, drop the floorplate, put in three and close. Kind a a messy thing to do though with a loaded chamber. I would just go with on ein the tube and two in the chamber, how often are you going to get 4 shots at anything other than paper.

The Super Shadow actually has a fixed floorplate, so I can't open it from the bottom. I tried putting three in the magazine, then throwing another one in the chamber. Then I just held the top shell in the mag down as I slid the bolt over the top of it. This seemed to work, but I wonder if there is an easier way to get the 4th shell in the gun, even though I hope to never need more than one.

I guess one of the disadvantages to the short magnum cartridges is the reduced magazine capacity. I too, have a Super Shadow, mine's a .270WSM, and I have pretty much resigned myself to loading 3 in the magazine and then chambering the round to fire. It is still faster than a TC Encore, and realistically, you shouldn't get more than 2 or 3 shots at game. If you need more than that, get closer or get more practice. :wink:

Antelope_Sniper":3qrbreco said:
Hunting with one in the tube?
You wouldn't be allowed in our hunting camp!
+1, if you were caught with a round in the chamber at our camp you would be thrown out and never welcome back. Safety first with us

The capacity is what it is. I have a black shadow in 223WSSM and it does fill the magazine. It is usually better to have one less and the magazine feed loose than maxed out. It will eliminate the jam that will surely come at the worst possible time. Hopefully you don't have to shoot more than the "one" like you said.
Greg

Back