Winter range 23/24

It just amazes me the size of that herd. Here where I’m at if you see 4-5 deer together that’s a herd.

Found these on the way home from town. Interstate 84 between Baker and LaGrande in the background.
Fall has been very mild around here until last week. Two weeks ago almost no snow in the pass, now there is four or five feet. I expect the elk will do just fine this year.

It just amazes me the size of that herd. Here where I’m at if you see 4-5 deer together that’s a herd.
There are a number of herds like that in the valley. Had some friends over for dinner Thursday night. They have a small place, 100 acres or so, about 10 miles north east of this herd. Thursday morning they had 200 elk in with their horses and elk don’t like jumping fences. Their perspective is keep the fences low enough to keep well behaved horses in and the elk generally won’t tear things up too bad. No barb wire on top helps as well.
Hearing rumors of a bachelor herd of bulls in the area, 30 to 50 bulls. I’ve been out looking but haven't’ found them yet.

Back