Wisconsin 2020 Gun Deer Season

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
This is the first deer that I've taken with my .257 Ackley. A rechambered Remington 722 that was in .257 Roberts. It was a one-shot kill at 164 yards with 120 grain Speer Grand Slam. He only went about 35 yards after the hit and the 120 provided a good blood trail with an entrance and exit. I'm not sure if the Grand Slam is the best match with its lower BC for the Ackley but it worked well this time.

Attachments

• image000001 (4).jpg
    image000001 (4).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 729
Well, that Grand Slam worked pretty well for you. Fine buck. Congratulations. I'd not hesitate to use the 120 grain Grand Slam for deer. It is a fine bullet that has performed well for years.

.257/722 is one of my all time favorites. Mom used one with great results for quite a few years. Congratulations on a great hunt with a rifle of great character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be hard to complain or question the current situation that happened. Nice deer congrats

Nice job. I do not own any 25 caliber rifles and I have wanted one since I was a kid (my uncle that taught me to hunt used a 25-06). If I had a 25 cal i would give that bullet a look for sure. Looks like great performance and a heck of a buck, congrats!!

Very nice!

Good buck, good result!

Reward for practice and preparation!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a nice buck. That 257 AI certainly did the job. If you want a better BC, look at the 115 gr PT and the 120 gr PT.

JD338

Classicly great rifle, in a hot rod version of THE cartridge, and a great deer. Congrats! CL

Congratulations on a great buck. Isn't it great when you get to make a good one shot kill with a handload? Well done.

Dan

Way to go! Looks like you out a perfect shot onto him. That 257 Ackley is a cool danged cartridge in a really neat rifle. Congrats on the awesome buck.

Ah- my mistake- you said a 257 "Bob" Ackley Not a 250-3000 Ackley. Too Bad :lol: :lol: But still super cool. A 257 "Bob" that's been "Ackleyied" is a great round. CL

Congrats on a beautiful deer. From what I have read over the years the 120 gr G.S. is one of the best 25 cal bullets out there. Lot's of guys even use them on elk sized game.

Back