Wisconsin Hunters

Jar Head

Beginner
May 7, 2006
Hi fellas !
I am leaving Oregon for a job offer in WI and will be living in the Baraboo area. I was just curious if any of you WI hunters could tell me what to expect out there. Rifle season for deer will be my main hunting effort. I did notice I will be leaving a lot of public lands here in OR. Are you fellas happy with your Fish & Game Dept. ?

Regards,
Chris

Chris -
I'm not a cheesehead, but have spent alot of time working and managing associates in Wisconsin. They have more whitetail deer in most parts of the state than any other state in the US. The roads can be scary at night in the fall to drive on with all the deer moving around.

I have never hunted WI but I can tell you that WI has their act together. Sound DNR program that knows how to manage their game.
Big country in the norther part of the state with hardwoods, marsh and cedar swamps hold a lot of game, WT deer and Black Bear.
Long range will be a lot shorter. :grin:

Good luck with your move and new job.

JD338

Fellow Jar Head, I grew up not too far from where you will be living. There is a good chunk of state land in the not too far away. Look around Black River Falls. Although it may be a little different from Oregon hunting. My friends who still live back there tell me getting permission to hunt private land is getting harder. The old timers are selling off the family farms and the new owners tend to open the property up as much. But if you hit the backroads and knock on some doors you can still find small pieces of Whitetail heaven around. Some pretty good fishing in that area also.

Thanks for the information guys !
I'm really looking forward to getting back there, people are super friendly & they sure have some BIG deer.

Regards,
Chris

"Semper Fi"

I am in Wisconsin. In Baraboo area they are a lot of deer but as many hunters too.
Deer season is over, but until Feb 15 you can hunt foxes. Go to www.dnr.state.wi.us
and get the map of state owned lands. Wisconsin offers much longer deer season for bowhunters about 3 months then rifle about 10-14 days.
I hunt area of the Dells. Baraboo is about 25 miles away from me.

Vodek

Vodkez,
Thanks for the info.
Checked out Devils Lake Park today & the ranger gave me the skinny on hunting there.
Got to see my first ice fishing shanty! Guys were super nice & invited me in to check it out, that was fun to see!!

Beware any Vietnamese guys carrying a gun on private property. I remember hearing about a hunter being shot (murdered) by one in 05 or 06 somewhere in WI.

This shooting was about 4 years ago. More then one person was killed. This was very ugly and not typical for Wisconsin. Bow season offers more then rifle. A lot of turkeys are there. Coyote and fox hunting are good there also.
Vodek

Back