Wolf de-listing

Greg Nolan

Handloader
Nov 25, 2004
The Idaho fish and game has published the final wolf de-listing and I suspect Montana will too. Idaho will decide the tag numbers in August.
I suspect there will be lawsuits galore by the usual suspects. :roll:

ohhhhhhhhh they were on a list, oooopssss. darn it we had some really big coyotes.

um yeah +1 on the really big yotes in oregon as well. Over twney sheep killed on one ranch a few weeks ago by two wolfs. Only two sheep were eaten.

Wyoming is really bad with wolves in some parts and I know how a few of my friends over there feel about them. I know they wished there was a season on them.

I believe Minnesota still protects them. They did up until I moved west in 01, at that point there was packs of up to 20 coming across the border into Canada. They would wreak havoc on cattle in mid summer, the adults would try to train the pups to hunt pulling down spring calves, then the farmers would get stuck nursing calves with torn up necks and end up losing a few or sitting out in the evenings with a rifle.

The timber wolf(Canis Lupus) is a species that is very intelligent and can read body language better than we can speak english. If you have a gun, they will bolt and stop at 500 yds and just watch you. They can tell by posture and attitude if you are armed. I think most know by experiance at what range they are safe. If you are unarmed, most times they will not move more than 100 yds, it is uncanny and possibly a result of hunting pressure in that area.
A pack of mature adults can devour a WT deer in 10-15 minutes and that includes pulling it down.
On one occasion, we were logging in about a foot of fresh snow. The timber was on a farmer's land, so we were skidding it out to a field about 150-200 yds from the stand of trees we were harvesting. We pulled 1 load out with the skidder and stopped for lunch. We stopped for no more than 10 or 15 minutes and when my brother went back in for another load there was about a 5' circle of hair on the skid tracks where the wolves had pulled down a deer while we had lunch. We didn't see the wolves once, yet the tracks indicated a large pack. I hate to see what a pack would do to sheep. SHeep are alot dumber and slower than deer.
A long range 7mm would be about right for those 5-800 yd "yote" hunting adventures......

JT.

Thats great they have finally delisted them in Idaho. When the wolves move through an area, they push all the game a long ways away for awhile. My buddy called in a wolf turkey hunting this spring. I guess the wolf strolled right up to the decoys. I know the outfitters in Idaho are finally breathing a sigh of relief. They were tearing up the elk and deer and at least now they can allow hunters to harvest the wolves and put a little money back into their pocket for it.

You are right on about a long range wolf gun. A 7mm with with some good optics and a rabbit squealer would be just about right! Scotty

PETA HSUA already have law suits waiting to file to stop the states from managing them. This is going to be a long drawn out process.

They should have opened a season on them, as soon as they delisted them. That way it couldn't give anti hunters a chance to fight it. Plus, they could have brought some of the numbers down to give the spring fawns a chance at life. I really hope they keep it going. I know I want to do my part to get rid of the wolves. They are slowly eating away at the great Idaho Elk herds. Scotty

I havent seen a wolf track in my area yet. Hope I never do. I have seen griz tracks and twice saw the bears standing in them. I think they will lighten up just a bit on the wolves as now they want to totally protect the griz and their habitat. They(protection groups/anti's) are trying now to close 1800 miles of forestry roads in north Idaho to prevent man and beast from meeting each other. Reason being there were like 80 griz kills in last 30 years due to confrontation. The US forestry service is offer to work with the anti groups but only want to shut down like 140 miles of roads. If they suceed it will shut down many camp grounds, lakes and beautiful scenery. Mt bikes, walking and horses will be the only way to access the areas.

I got about 15 minutes of great footage of a large Grey/Whitish wolf hanging around our bear bait. It was my first time to see wolves up close for that long. Never knew we were there, and the bears didn't show up after the wolf did, but it was pretty cool to see them, hopefully I can score a tag this year. I would like to have a few hides soft tanned. Scotty

Rich, thanks for clarifying that for me. I should have mentioned ID in the post. Either way, thanks for looking out. Scotty

High jacked from another forum. Sorry no story other than it was from the Drayton Valley area.

This thing is huge! :shock: Could it be fake?

1bigwolf.jpg

There's no accounting for pictures anymore but the wolves I came across in Idaho were!! that big. If you look at the body alone it's about 4 foot. The legs are very long which in this stretched out position make the animal look about 10 feet long. I was within 100 yards of the pack of 13 wolves and when they moved along they were half again longer than a deer with their extended tails and 3/4 as high at the shoulder of a mule deer. If you've ever been around them you can see how they can take down an elk or moose with no problem. They are the consumate predator. And they run in packs!! :shock: I won't get into the little old ladies in tennis shoes with lots of money to spend on poor wolves that remind them of their poodle but they can take out a herd of ungulates faster than Chronic Wasting Desease :evil:
Good (WOLF) hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I agree with Greg. The wolf I saw was about 3/4 the size of the one pictured, but it was definately a good sized animal. Also, when they come into a drainage on the hunt, they run everything out, FAST. They natures sure way of keeping the population down. They hunt so well, they have to move areas in order to keep enough food to feed them. Hopefully I will get a chance to kill a few of them.

Back