wolf large rifle primers

russ808

Handloader
Feb 2, 2008
Yesterday we were shoting at our range.
Two of the guys were shooting their 7x57 ackley;s
Both had 100 rounds each.
All 200 had wolf large rifle primers.
Of the 200 rounds 37 did not go off after repeated strikes.
Another 20 did not go off after the first, but went off after the second or third.
Not a good thing.
Anyone else have this problem.
Russ

That doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence. It'll be interesting to see if this is a generalised phenomenon or whether it is just a bad lot of primers.

Plainly? They suck!

In order to qualify the above remark, a friend got some and has similar results. :evil:

A couple of things could be wrong. The first one is most likely the culprit. IMPROPER SEATING OF THE PRIMER. The Wolf primers have a hard cup and have a little more flare on them and the anvil sticks up a little higher than most primers. You really have to put some force on them to seat them firm. Many times people think that they have seated them well with they feel what they think is the primer bottoming out but it is usually just the anvil hitting the bottom of the primer pocket. It takes a bit more force to have the primer cup hit bottom and compress the priming pellet between the cup and the anvil. I have the same problem with some fail to fire rounds even after snapping on them 2 or 3 times but when I removed the primer and laid them on a piece of steel and hit them with a hammer they went BANG. Since I learned how to correctly apply more presser when seating them I have had zero problems.

Second thing if the proper seating of the primer still allows fail to fire is: TOO WEAK A FIRING PIN SPRING. The cups on Wolf primers are HARD and it takes a hard thump to set them off.

I would be willing to bet that it is improper seating of the primers though. Been there and done that. :roll:

Antelope_Sniper":2qwyce7p said:
Russ, I'd heard there were some issues with some early lotts of Wolf Primers. Where these new or old stock?

Key question! :wink:

I believe he said they were older stock. He had two batches. He shot the first and no problems. He went to the second and then problems.
He told me today that the shop he bought them from is going to refund him the cost of the primers. He just doesn't want them.
Russ

Back