Woodman Arms Muzzleloader

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I got a new Muzzloader the other day. I had Mark Woodman make up one of his Patriots with a 1-18" Brux 45 caliber barrel. The plan is to shot 45 caliber bullets with no sabot and smokeless powder in it. I haven't ever ventured into this area but I am assembling most all of the stuff. Had to get a swaging die in order to fit the bullets to the bore, some Parker Black Max 300's and some 45 caliber vegetable wads.

Still trying to sort out the optics on the rifle as the initial set up had the darned scope way too high for great shooting, but I am figuring this out as I go.

Any of you all done the smokeless ML stuff?

I have a .45 and 2 .40's. All of them are Remington 700 single shot actions and Brux barrels. Pittman makes some pretty high BC bullets for them. Idaho still has archaic muzzleloader rules but several other states have pretty liberal rules and that is why I built them. With a large powder chamber in front of the breech plug some pretty impressive velocities are possible like 3000+fps with 325's and 2900 with 350's.

Not that I use it much... But I'm stuck in the traditional percussion cap muzzle loader camp, with sights. Full diameter soft lead bullets and either real black powder or Pyrodex. Two shots at deer, two mule deer down pretty much instantly. Ya, I got close before shooting.

However am following this post for the education!

Guy

That smokeless powder ML will give high octane performance for sure. I've got black powder ML's and have evolved from black powder to pyrodex to triple 7 loose/pellets. For the past few years, MI allows the use of center fire rifles in some areas which includes the area we live. So in a sense you could say I use a smokeless powder ML now.

JD338

I got a new Muzzloader the other day. I had Mark Woodman make up one of his Patriots with a 1-18" Brux 45 caliber barrel. The plan is to shot 45 caliber bullets with no sabot and smokeless powder in it. I haven't ever ventured into this area but I am assembling most all of the stuff. Had to get a swaging die in order to fit the bullets to the bore, some Parker Black Max 300's and some 45 caliber vegetable wads.

Still trying to sort out the optics on the rifle as the initial set up had the darned scope way too high for great shooting, but I am figuring this out as I go.

Any of you all done the smokeless ML stuff?
I shoot the 50 cal Savage 72 GR/ RL7 / MMP sabot / hornady monoflex 250 Gr. .458. Shoots under an inch @ 2,400. How much drop at the comb and heel? Looks like a bit on that rifle.

Last edited:
I shoot the 50 cal Savage 72 GR/ RL7 / MMP sabot / hornady monoflex 250 Gr. .458. Shoots under an inch @ 2,400. How much drop at the comb and heel? Looks like a bit on that rifle.
Not sure. I had to put a stock pack and super low rings on it. They’d be good with a stock more suited to scopes. I think it’ll work though.

I have 58-60 grains of H4198 loaded and 300 grain Parkers ready to rip.

I finally got the Woodman worked out enough to hunt with. Took me a few tries to get the bullet swaged properly in order to load it without having to use a sledgehammer, but once I got it, man it shot pretty fair.

58 grains of H4198

59 grains of H4198

And finally 60 grains of H4198

Seeing as I had a good zero, I loaded my tubes with 60 grains of H4198 and swaged the rest of the Parkers making sure they were spot on at .450.

First animal was an unlucky coyote that happened come slipping through around 45-50 yards.

Then I filled a tag in order to get some meat for an old family friend.

That deer was about 75 yards through the woods.

Anyhow, pretty happy so far. Still have a bit of season left, so I'll have a couple days after Christmas to New Years to see what I can do. So far though, I am pretty pleased with it.

It does appear as if everything is working as one would hope. Excellent work, Scott! (y)

Congrats Scotty on the deer and coyote. Didn't know you could load a muzzle loader with standard smokeless powder like H 4198, super cool!

Well done Scotty. That smoke pole is putting the smack on them.

JD338

It does appear as if everything is working as one would hope. Excellent work, Scott! (y)
Thank you Mike. It was/is a fun project I really enjoyed.

That no smoke pole sure came together for you and the results look good. Dan.
Thanks Dan

Congrats Scotty on the deer and coyote. Didn't know you could load a muzzle loader with standard smokeless powder like H 4198, super cool!
It's a Regular old Brux 1-18 barrel. So it'll take some heat and it has a special breech plug designed for smokeless loads. Man, I couldn't believe how well it shot.

Good job !!!! How did the parker 300 expand?
Thats how I like to see a coyote......
The 300 grain Parkers are hands down, bar none, the best ML bullet I have used to date. I have used the same ones in my Remington UML with BH209 for 2300 FPS and man, it puts alot of bullet on target and they expand and make excellent holes. Can't say enough good about the Parkers.

Thank you Mike. It was/is a fun project I really enjoyed.

Thanks Dan

It's a Regular old Brux 1-18 barrel. So it'll take some heat and it has a special breech plug designed for smokeless loads. Man, I couldn't believe how well it shot.

The 300 grain Parkers are hands down, bar none, the best ML bullet I have used to date. I have used the same ones in my Remington UML with BH209 for 2300 FPS and man, it puts alot of bullet on target and they expand and make excellent holes. Can't say enough good about the Parkers.
Like to see them put to the jug test Scotty.

Back