Working the Boys

Excellent Dr Mike. A wise teacher and willing minds makes for some great learning. And that kind of learning falls into the "teach a man to fish" analogy. That will stick with them. Good job.

Very nice. (y)
Anytime you can keep them from melting their minds with the X-Box and Tweeting, while at the same time teaching a great life skill, is time well spent!

Nahum and Josiah drove down yesterday to continue load work with their 30-06s. Thought I'd share a couple of pics showing them at the shooting bench at the local range.

This is Nahum.

View attachment 2

View attachment 3

And, here is Josiah working with his Savage.

View attachment 1

We concluded the day with a late lunch at a local Chinese restaurant. The boys look forward to coming down because I introduce them to food they had never heard of. During the past several weeks, they have been introduced to sushi and sashimi at a local Japanese restaurant, kawali and sisig at a local Filipino restaurant. It was their first time to eat Chinese. Fun time with the fellows. They do wear me out, however.

That’s very darned cool. Great shooting on the boys part and good on you for introducing them to all that great chow!

Scotty,

The boys are not great shots, but they are darn fine hunters. They keep their shots within a couple of hundred yards and get their moose. Can't complain about that. Nahum doubted that I could really shoot quarter inch groups, so next time we go out, I have to take a couple of my own rifles and prove myself. Consequently, their test ammo was all delivering single-digit SDs. I explained that this was indicative of careful technique.

Oh, yeah, the dining experiences are fun. They haven't quite gotten up the nerve for balut, yet.

Best wishes for moose tenderloin for the young men! 3006 is such a great choice for a reloaded!

More importantly, they found some one who would show them the ropes!

Thanks Dr Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I had a mentor for reloading!
Learning from forum-posts just isn't the same...

Now my boys are learning and a few friends I am loading for are eager to join me in my cellar.

Thumbs up!

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Like too many others, I had no mentor for hand loading. That was a grave deficit, ensuring that I would make many mistakes in polishing the art and science of hand loading. By working with these young men, I believe I'm making an investment in the future of the nation, though some of my "betters" might question that particular assessment. I'm confident that I receive far more than I ever give when taking time to invest in these young men. Their excitement at "rolling their own" and the bond we forge as an elder and youth is one of the richest rewards I could ever desire. I hope I'm helping to shape lives, and that the investment will be witnessed in good men who make a positive contribution to life and to society.

DrMike":2gijz2b3 said:
Like too many others, I had no mentor for hand loading. That was a grave deficit, ensuring that I would make many mistakes in polishing the art and science of hand loading. By working with these young men, I believe I'm making an investment in the future of the nation, though some of my "betters" might question that particular assessment. I'm confident that I receive far more than I ever give when taking time to invest in these young men. Their excitement at "rolling their own" and the bond we forge as an elder and youth is one of the richest rewards I could ever desire. I hope I'm helping to shape lives, and that the investment will be witnessed in good men who make a positive contribution to life and to society.
Over the years, I had a shotshell mentor, a hunting rifle cartridge mentor, and finally a benchrest cartridge mentor. The hours I spent, and conversations I had with these guys were priceless. I read everything I could get my hands on first, but the learning curve skyrocketed as a result of my mentors. Now I mentor several newcomers. Its the most rewarding hobby I can imagine, especially when we get to put it all to use in the field or on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great to have someone to get you started so you don't blow your head off. Sometimes I wonder why mine is still on my shoulders. Though my father showed me how to reload shot shells he thought it was a waste of time to reload rifle ammo and only shot three rounds to check his zero before the season and then used what he needed to shoot his deer. He still had a couple of boxes of factory ammo left when he quit hunting that my brother got. If I remember right it was a partial box of Peters 30-06 180gr core locks some 150gr Win sliver tips and that was it. Never used anything else.
I learnt from trial and error using old manuals he had laying around and a few new RCBS manuals I bought since they were the cheapest bullets on the market at the time.
DrMike if you show those boys how to shoot 1/4" groups they will think you're superman. :grin:

Back