Wsm

Good grief!

Yeah you should get the 7mm because the 270 just kills animals dead,but the 7mm kills them beyond dead! :roll:

There is nothing one can do that the other can't unless your talking 800+ yards when the higher BC of the 7mm will start to show its self for real.

All kidding aside I like both very much...well all the WSM really.Get what ever one floats your boat.

If you do get the 7mm and are going to handload you might want to stock up on brass.If it does die ( I hope it doesn't ) You can't form brass from any of the other WSM.

Oh and for the bullet selection.

7mm 100,110,115,120,130,135,139,140,145,150,160,162,175

270 90,100,110,115,120,130,135,140,150,160

maybe some I am forgetting but that really isn't enough differance to lose any sleep over :)

I am not sure what you decided on, but I have a M70 in a 270WSM and it has been an excellent rifle, no better than my 7mmRM, but is a very accurate rifle and is meant to shoot long. I couldn't decide between the 270 or 7mm when I bought mine, and since I already had a 7mmRM, and no 270 I decided to give it a try. It has not let me down. It flattens deer and did an admirable job on a big ID elk. I would say if you are hunting elk regularly you would be better suited to a 30 cal or larger. I shot the 140 grain accubonds on the elk and they worked decent. I love the gun for high country mule deer and anything I "think" I might have a longer shot at. Scotty

JungleJim,

Yes, I have had feeding problems with WSM cartridges - in fact with two different rifles. Within the last year, I bought TWO Remington 700 XCR's chambered for the .300 WSM. Both were brand new and both had feeding problems. They would jam, as if the rounds were trying to enter the chamber at too steep an angle. Also the magazines could not fit three bullets as advertised. I talking with my gunsmith, and if I recall correctly, the problem was really with the magazine - apparently it was an easy fix.

I don't know if I was unlucky or that this is an inherent problem with the .300 WSM. I guess if this feeding problem is not well documented, then perhaps I was just unlucky.

BTW - I bought the second XCR because it had was the "lovely" RMEF limited edition version (i.e., hardwoods HD camo).

I'm really quite certain this debate doesn't need my 2 cents worth....... But what fun is that. :grin:

+1 2ndtimer.

The 270 WSM fills a gap in performance that was quite void. There was the 270 win and the wby. Guys that like the win can buy shells at WalMart for 18bucks/box and Guys that shoot factory loads, and have a 270 wby better get a second job at WalMart if they are on a normal income.

Along comes the 270 WSM. Availible in commercial rifles from the Savages to the Sako's and customs. Ammo is a little more, but performance is darn near the vaunted and revered 270 wby at half the ammo and rifle price or less. All this and it's in a short action that weighs less than a traditional 270 win. Wow, What's not to love. Except that I am a snob and won't join the mob of followers. It is a worthy caliber.

Now in the realm of 7mm's the ranks are full: 7BR, 7X57, 7-08, 280, 280AI, 7WSM 7Rem, 7WBY, 7Ultra, 7STW, 7-300wby and then there are all the old 7X64, 7X61 and so on. And I don't think I listed all the commercial 7mm's. This is where are the Great bullet selection comes from. And yes there are many many bullets in .284" to choose, lots of good ones.

But to think that a 7mm WSM brought something new to the table, well not really. Most people have a potent 7mm of some sort if they feel they need a 7. And like the 270 win, I can get ammo from Walmart for the 7mm Rem Mag for 22 bucks. Is it as fast as the WSM, I don't know, but I can't get shells for a WSM in all that many places.

Now I am a handloader and I love obscure stuff like the 7mm WSM. Maybe it has alot more merit than the 7mm Rem and maybe it should have survived. That has more to due with timing than anything else. My favorite the 264 win fell victim to the same thing and to a round that stole it's case diamensions almost exactly. The 8mm Rem Mag should have survived too, it has as much merit as alot of the new calibers and the same amount of recoil as the new RUMS. Just the breaks I guess and the lack of good bullets in 8mm.

JT.

I agree, the 270 WSM is a great round that has appreciable gains over the 270 Win and can be packaged in a smaller, lighter rifle. I know there are no huge advantages, but to the average guy that was looking to buy a rifle, the 270WSM beat the regular 270. I love the 270 Win, but I like my WSM more. Plus, when you talk about the 264, which is another rifle/cartridge I really want. BUT, the 264 won't do too much more that the 270WSM will. Scotty

jtoews80":3852kr59 said:
7BR, 7X57, 7-08, 280, 280AI, 7WSM 7Rem, 7WBY, 7Ultra, 7STW, 7-300wby and then there are all the old 7X64, 7X61 and so on. And I don't think I listed all the commercial 7mm's.

7-30 Waters

I have both the 270 and 7mm wsm's. Both are great. I will say I am more fond of the 7mm because of it's versatility with bullet weights. I can load the same bullet weight for both calibers and achieve more velocity out of the 7 for long range shooting (rougly 300 fps more). It can also be loaded a little heavier for something bigger. I do have a 7mm Rem Mag also, mostly to have a magnum that is very popular to where I can go into a general hardware store in a smaller town and find a box of bullets if I'm in a bind...

And what luck, all the wsm's use the same brass, just necked differently. If 7mm brass get's scarce, you can use the 270 or 300 and run it through a full size die (just don't confuse the 7's with the others if you have them!!). Wish the 7mm wsm would have caught on like the others, it's more difficult to find them than the others.

i have a 325 wsm,, i prefer that one will take anything on this continent with no worries.other than that i use 2506 on most game.. but some would rather have a 243 over a 2506 to ,,, it wht u can shoot the best is wht u should buy,,accuracy means everything,if u hate recoil u wont ever shoot good.

Back