Wyo elk tag filled, great hunt.

elkeater2

Handloader
Jan 5, 2009
My son got himself a tank chair a couple years ago. For years, I've been hunting an isolated spot that almost always holds a few elk. There is an old but wide trail made by some miners over 100 years ago. That trail goes to the center of that patch but had a number of down logs crossing. Last year I opened it up wide enough for him to get through, but his work and weather prevented a hunt. We managed to get out finally a week or so ago. Got in there late afternoon and he selected where he wanted to set up and watch. He insists that I fidget and make too much noise to suit him, so I always move off out of his sight where I can watch a different opening and fidget if I want. Did that, and no sooner did I get settled and take my pack off and KA-Boom! He'd just started on his first handful of sunflower seeds when elk appeared 245 yards away. Cows are legal and neither one of us had much freezer room and no bull present. He made a clean shot (6.5x284), cow dropped, handsome bull stepped out but not in danger. It was dark by the time hero shots, hugs, and field dressing was done. We made a special memory. The pack out is another story....

Attachments

• 3waycowsmall.jpg
    3waycowsmall.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 48
Fantastic! What a great story. Congratulations to you and your son for his efforts and success. Dan

Back