You can pick only 3

Guy, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that likes fixed power and compact scopes instead of ones you could study the moon with :) Simple is good sometimes.

gerry":vxvj1v1k said:
Guy, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that likes fixed power and compact scopes instead of ones you could study the moon with :) Simple is good sometimes.

Without a doubt Gerry. I don't have as many fixed power scopes as you all, but I do keep 2 M8 4X Leupolds around. One is on my boys 243 and the other is on my 444 Marlin. I would like to get into a 6X like Guys one of these years. I really don't feel too bad with a straight 6X for most any of my hunting. I do like the simplicity of them.

I started with variables, back in the 1970's. Actually still have that scope, a 3-9x Leupold, and it still works fine though it's relegated to the role of backup scope or for testing time to time.

Somewhere along the line I realized that I was setting my variable scopes at either minimum power, or about 6x, and hunting. I'd take the shot at either minimum power or 6x, without adjusting a thing... Got to thinking that maybe, for most of my hunting and target shooting, I simply didn't need a variable.

The 12x was on my long-range match rifle. It's very happy being used on a varmint rifle.

The 6x is the best all-around hunting scope I've ever used. And yes, I've tried some of the high dollar alternatives. It's pretty much perfect for a hunting scope, for me anyway.

The little 2.5x compact is proof that less can be more. It's only about 8 ounces and barely affects the balance of a rifle. Eye relief is wonderful. It's a great modest-range scope, perfectly suited to a lever action rifle, or any rifle to be used on big game at ranges out to say 200 yards.

I understand that even today, the fixed power scopes have been shown to be more rugged. I know they're simpler, and I do like simple things.

The 1.5-5x is a great low-powered variable. Clear. And yes I've made 300+ yard shots on game with it, no problem. How big do you need to make a bear to hit it?

That little 1.5-4x Leupold is great on the AR-15, and purpose built for it. There's a glowing green dot in the center of the reticle. At short range it's faster and more accurate than I am with sights. About the same as I am using the EOTech holo sight. At 100+ yards, it's nice to be able to dial in a little magnification. I've been running it on my patrol rifle for a while now and so far it's come up as a winner!

Regards, Guy

Well said about that 1.5x5 Guy. Ran that on my slug gun this Fall and cleaned up with it. FAST for running deer and excellent for threading a slug through the woods as well. Excellent FOV. I have the VXR 1.25x4 on my 45-70 and feel that scope "fits" just about right on that rifle. I think it'd be a great scope on a 375 or larger type rifle as well.

They all look real good Charlie, but that danged Leica looks REALLY good. Very compact. I think something like that would be perfect atop my 338 or 35 Newton..

Thanks Scotty, I agree that the compact aspect of the Leica scope goes well with the overall look of the .30-06 Model 70. There is only about an inch difference in length between the Zeiss HD-5 and the Leica 2.5-10x42 ER model. The 3.5 x14x42 would be about the same length as the Zeiss HD-5. The 30mm tube makes the ER Leica look shorter as well.

I wanted to remove my Minox from active rifles and mounting the Leica does that because I took a 3.5-10x44 Conquest off the .30-06 and put in on my .22 Mag to replace the Minox.

I am super pleased with the way that all three rifles look now. The 3-15x42 Zeiss HD-5 requires medium scope rings but the Leica gets by fine with the low TPS rings which I am very pleased with. I took a chance and bought the low 30mm rings and they look really nice on the Winchester Model 70 with the Leica scope.

Oldtrader3":rhwtra4b said:
I am super pleased with the way that all three rifles look now.
With good reason. Very nice glass on some fine rifles, Charlie. Enjoy.

I only have 2 fixed powers at the moment both Leupold M8 scopes in a 6x36 and 8x40 AO but am moving in that direction of having more. Rem Jim has another 6x coming to him that hopefully I can snag from him to add to the collection. Several years ago I was going to get a fixed 6x but was talked out of it, was told that you can't use them well in the brush. A couple of years ago I decided to run my Burris 2-7x35 on 7x and see how it worked, after a couple of years I had no issues so was able to get a great deal on the 6x36 Leupold and it has become a favorite.

Back