Your loads for 30-06

The load that did yeoman's work with whitetails for me when I first started loading was:

RP cases
150 cup-n-core
52 gr RL15
CCI-200

Now I've been waiting to knock something over with:

RP cases
130 TSX
56.5 gr RL15
Cci-200

and on my pronghorn for hunt this fall I'll likely run:

RP cases
150 BTSP Interlock
60 gr IMR-4350
CCI-200

My loads are:
Nosler cases, WLR primers, 61.0gr of Reloder 22 and 180gr Nosler AccuBond or Partition.. Or the the same load substituting 56.0gr of H4350 for the Reloder 22.. The H4350 gives a little less velocity than the Reloder 22. If I do my part I can get 1" or less groups @ 100yds. Velocity runs between 2,600 and 2,750 fps using my Shooting Chrony which is off by about 20fps if the evaluation in another post is valid for my unit.

I took a cow elk I January 13th of this year with a 30-06 pushing a 165 gr. AccuBond over 56.0 gr. of W760 for about 2730 FPS. Didn't have time to work up any higher so that's what went hunting. Shot was around 150 yards. Hit the elk and she went maybe 20 feet and expired. Bullet did not exit and was not found. Probably was lost in the gut pile. Big cow and I got 258 ponds of boned out meat. Brass was WW and primer as the WLR standard. Temp at the shot was +25*F. Just a tad nippy for this Arizona boy. :wink:
Paul B.

24 inch Zastava bolt action
Rem Brass
CCI LR primer
180g Interlock / 180g NBT
57.5g H4350
MV 2770fps for the Interlock, 2790 for the NBT

Win Mod 70
22" barrel

#1 load
180gr Nosler Partitions
55.0grs H4350
CCI200 primers
2618 fps

#2 load
180gr Nosler Partitions
55.5grs IMR4350
CCI200 primers
2604 fps

the darnedest thing...

We have a client who brought his hunting weight 30-06 to the long range class (which we do encourage, by the way), and he had handloads of 48.5 grains of IMR 4064, with Hornady 165 grain SST bullets. He was shooting the rifle amazingly well, and vertical in the groups even at 900 yards was MOA--or better.

So... I notice a fired casing on the mat next to him... "FC"... it was of course a Federal brass case. And he had been using Winchester... I had thought. Come to find out, he had FC, Winchester, and Hornady (probably made by Remington) cases in that batch of shells, all randomly placed in the box. And it was shooting lights out, no kidding.

He told me he used my OCW load development system to get that load. I didn't think you could get that much flexibility from a load recipe--to see tight (relatively) groups at 900 yards with various brass in the same group.

48.5 grains of IMR 4064 and a 165. I guess I need to try that myself one day. :/

Dan

The 30-06 is like the 308. You could literally try 1000 different loads and 95% of them will work good.
Just get a powder in the 4064 burn range and play. If you want to shoot some heavy big boys like the 208 Amax go with something a little slower burning. RL17 is a another great all around powder for shorter magnum-ish cartridges.
But there are so many powders that will work good, you just have to pick one and go mess around. I have so many various 1lb powders for experimenting and I now wish I bought just a few 8lb containers of one powder (like IMR 4064) and used it for most calibers.
Don't forget about Ramshot. They make good ball powders like Hunter and Big Game which are both great for 30-06 and very easy to meter

Dan Newberry":1pu8gbbs said:
the darnedest thing...

We have a client who brought his hunting weight 30-06 to the long range class (which we do encourage, by the way), and he had handloads of 48.5 grains of IMR 4064, with Hornady 165 grain SST bullets. He was shooting the rifle amazingly well, and vertical in the groups even at 900 yards was MOA--or better.

So... I notice a fired casing on the mat next to him... "FC"... it was of course a Federal brass case. And he had been using Winchester... I had thought. Come to find out, he had FC, Winchester, and Hornady (probably made by Remington) cases in that batch of shells, all randomly placed in the box. And it was shooting lights out, no kidding.

He told me he used my OCW load development system to get that load. I didn't think you could get that much flexibility from a load recipe--to see tight (relatively) groups at 900 yards with various brass in the same group.

48.5 grains of IMR 4064 and a 165. I guess I need to try that myself one day. :/

Dan
Mr. Dan will you explain OCW to me as I will be new to reloading ( simply as possible )
Thanks, Ray .

Back