Zeiss conquest vs. Vortex Viper HS-T vs Vortex Viper HS LR

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
I've narrowed down the possibilities to three different scopes. Anyone handled these specific scopes? One will be mounted on my 257 Roberts AI, and used for everything from whitetail to long range varmints. Looking at 4-16 power range. Love the idea of getting a Vortex and adding the Kenton custom turret. Thoughts?

Zeiss 4.5-15x50 with target turrets, demo example, $549 at CameralandNY.

I own this and the Vortex HS LR. No contest - the Zeiss is much better. Had the price been equal at the time I might not own the Vortex, but it used to be a $300 difference. They're now the same.

Get a custom turret tape from Custom Turret Systems and save $100. His customer service is great.
http://customturretsystems.com/

Patrick

Dr. Vette":4ov6hu1o said:
Zeiss 4.5-15x50 with target turrets, demo example, $549 at CameralandNY.

I own this and the Vortex HS LR. No contest - the Zeiss is much better. Had the price been equal at the time I might not own the Vortex, but it used to be a $300 difference. They're now the same.

Get a custom turret tape from Custom Turret Systems and save $100. His customer service is great.
http://customturretsystems.com/

Patrick

Thanks for the advice.

Thought I would chime in. Do not own a Zeiss but have 2 Vortex HSLR 4x16 and one has a Kenton turret. Scope and turret work great, happy with scopes. From this thread I'm going to try the tape on the other HSLR.
Opinion is positive and not disappointed in the Vortex. Would buy one again . Make sure you go and look through the scopes you are interested in. Your eyes need to decide.

I would agree 99% of time on products manufactured in CHINA.
Vortex uses products from various countries / glass houses. I believe the VIPER / PST line is Japan glass assembled in Philippines. Diamondback - ???, Crossfire all China.

I own a pair of Zeiss binos that were leap years better then the "cheap crap" I used to buy. About 10 years ago I was glassing some Mule Deer with a buddy and he could see bucks and does and how big. I could only see deer. He was using a $200 set on Nikons, go figure.

I just bought an HD5, 3-15x42 in September. I do not think that you will regret the decision to buy the HD5.

I have spent nearly as much on scopes that were not nearly as capable as the Hd5. There is nothing worse feeling than spending $500 on a piece of junk scope that does not deliver!

Back